VR section plateau

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarshMedic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I seem to have hit a plateau in VR at about a 10.

I am consistently getting 100% of the natural science passage questions, 85%-ish (a little fluctuation but mostly mid eighties) on social science passages, and mid sixties on humanities passages. I seem to be getting evaluation type questions wrong the most at about 50% correct over 5 FL tests with the next lowest being comprehension in the mid seventies.

I have started drilling humanity passages daily, usually about 2 a day when not doing FLs. And have started reading arts and humanity article from online news sources such as SA and The Economist (they don't seem to really be on par with the types of passages I've experienced on MCAT practice material, but just about anywhere I go people suggested this).

I was just curious if anyone out there had found a way to hurdle this obstacle who wouldn't mind sharing the goods.

Thanks,
Kyle

Members don't see this ad.

I don't read the questions before reading the passage. I think I might start that on humanities passages because I've noticed that they like the detail/detail driven evaluation questions on those and I end up having to refer to the passage. I am a bit worried about the time ramifications as I usually finish the VR section with but a minute to spare. But hopefully with some practice I can work it in without an issue.

Thanks for your reply; I welcome any idea whether you've taken the real deal or not.

Thanks!

You definitely need to have some quick reading skills, but practice makes perfect. I read The New Yorker weekly for 3 months because I often get bored with humanities passages.

I think that reading the questions really helps me focus on the passage, but I generally complete a 7 passage verbal section with about 20 minutes left, so ration your time wisely.

Best of luck.