VT or UVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BBC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to be a DVM. I've been accepted by UVA/Echols and VT Honors. Which school should I attend that will best to achieve my goal? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to be a DVM. I've been accepted by UVA/Echols and VT Honors. Which school should I attend that will best to achieve my goal? Thanks

Congrats on the Echols scholar program at UVA. I grew up in NoVA, so know that's a big deal at UVA. I don't think it matters what school you go to, really. UVA has the better reputation as an undergraduate institution. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/college/compare/items+3754+6968 However, there may be some benefit to being at a school that has a vet school...better prevet opportunities. I'm only speculating because I didn't go to a school that had a strong vet focus.

Honestly, though, you should go to whichever school feels like a better fit for undergrad. There is so much to learn about yourself and explore over the next four years, I think it can be a mistake to pick a college solely with an eye to where you want to be four years from now.

Good luck with your decision.

EDIT: Man, after looking at the comparison between UVA and VT, I totally should have gone in-state for undergrad. Talk about cost difference. :oops: The things we learn with age. Sigh.

Wow...congrats!! I also grew up in NoVa and when i graduated from HS eons ago, there was really no comparison between the two schools academically. UVa was almost impossible to get into and Tech was the 'backup' school (speaking as an IS applicant). I understand Tech is a lot more competitive school today for undergrad admissions.

That being said, VAGirl brought up some good points. What tier are both schools? I am speaking with no authority whatsoever, but i just have to believe if UVa has the degree you want and you do really well, it means more than the same performance at Tech. Two totally different schools, campuses, towns and experiences.

I am sure there are many factors that will influence your decision, but i believe the bottom line is that if you make the grades, get your animal/vet experience, and have good LOR's, you can be a successful applicant graduating from either school.

I have also always wondered if perhaps doing your undergrad where there is a vet school might not be a disadvantage? It seems as though there may be much more competition at that school and maybe they only want a certain number of each incoming class to have graduated from that institution?? A UVa degree might bring some welcome diversity. Just a thought.

Best of Luck :luck: and Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to Virginia Tech undergrad and, of course, have many friends who went to UVA. The schools are very different in terms of their culture, students, town, etc...you'll get a great education either way. I would recommend basing your decision not on school reputation, but on what you want out of your college experience.

The only thing I can think of that might make you lean one way or another (besides what I mentioned above) is if you want to do research on something specifically veterinary-related while in undergrad. If you want to go to UVA and you want to do research, you can do research with a ton of professors (just like at any other school) or maybe at the medical school.

At VT, there's a great animal science department, and you can do something more specifically veterinary-related. This is in addition, of course, to all of the other research opportunities on campus, which should be similar to UVA, though VT doesn't have a medical school. Keep in mind that assistantships for vet research projects are very competitive since there are a TON of pre-vets at VT. Also, the pre-vet club is pretty active (or at least it was ten years ago!).

If you want experience taking animal production classes or specific animal science classes, then I would highly recommend VT. I majored in biology and so didn't really take advantage of these classes, but was envious of my animal science friends who did. :) I doubt UVA has many (if any) animal science courses.

I would advise you to look at each school's course catalog, think about what you want to accomplish in undergrad as far as outside interests, and really take into consideration the culture at each school. They're both awesome schools, but they really are very different.

Best of luck!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Thanks for all the replies. I've notice that VT vet school admit way more VT student then any other school. I think for the class 2013 has 23 from VT and only 2 from UVA.

There are also probably a whole lot more people who apply from VT as well, you have to keep that in mind.

Absolutely true. The vast majority of Virginia residents who are pre-vet go to VT--there's a disproportionate number of applicants.

By the way, I went there undergrad and was rejected from their vet school...twice.

Here at Kansas State, one of my classmates graduated from UVA.

Nothing's a guarantee...

Thank you for all the great replies. I'll need to make up my mind soon. Thanks again.

It all depends on where you want to go to vet school--some schools look at really look at grades while others take into account the prestige/reputation/toughness of the university as well. If you're interested in paying IS tuition, go where you can get the best grades. If you're interested in going to Cornell or Penn, go to UVA.

It also depends on what you want to major in. UVA has a liberal arts focus, so they (almost definitely) don't have an animal science program--but they do have (better?) programs in English, history, etc. You don't have to be an animal science major to go to veterinary school--but if thats the route you want to take, then you have to go to VT!

The Echols program is a huge bonus too--my brother's high school roommate is an Echols scholar. I'm sure doing that program would help you stand out in any applicant pool! :)

You're also several years out from applying to veterinary school--and you may get to college and realize that science classes just aren't for you (and I mean no offense by that--like 3/4 of my class at W&L was "pre-med" until the end of first semester freshman year!). If that happens, will you still be happy at the school you're attending?

Just some stuff to mull over... :)