W in informal post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wahed

Tilapia
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that taking a W in undergrad is not a big deal, but I'm wondering about a W in informal post-bacc? I decided to take OChem 2 with the lab over a 5 week summer semester. Needless to say, the pace is ****ing brutal. Due to the pace, and a really bad attack of insomnia (which I am seeing a doctor and psychologist for), I fell behind. I feel that I have the time to catch up in either lab, or lecture, but not both. It seems smarter to catch up in lecture and just drop the lab.

Will this look especially bad? It's only a one credit course, its a summer course, I have straight As in my post bacc (save one B+ in gen chem 2), and it would be my first W ever.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it will be the end of the world, especially since it's only the lab. OFC it would have been better to drop before the census date as it does demonstrate some miscalculation on your part. I would be wary in the future however of mentioning any sort of psych related issue as a reason for the W, but that's just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 user
In terms of being behind, what are we talking about here? Getting a C? Getting a B?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the lecture, i feel like i could still make A range, if I mostly neglect the lab for the next week. If I neglect the lab for a week I'll probably come out with a B or C for lab. I figure I wont drop lab until the last day to drop (July 31) and see how things look then. I feel okay with an A lecture, B lab combo but I really don't want a C on my transcript.

At my school, once you pass the census date you need an instructors permission to take the W, so I would suggest checking with the lab supervisor (not the TA, but the actual doc running the lab) to make sure they are going to approve it. It would be terrible to think you had the option to take the W and then find out they won't approve it and then it's too late to do anything.

That's a really good point. I'm pretty confident I don't need approval, but I'll double check. Thanks for that.

Is that looked down upon more?

Someone who is so focused on protecting their GPA that they'll drop a course rather than take an A- is not considered mentally sound. Someone with that type of perfectionist tendency will not do well in medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
I know that taking a W in undergrad is not a big deal, but I'm wondering about a W in informal post-bacc? I decided to take OChem 2 with the lab over a 5 week summer semester. Needless to say, the pace is ****ing brutal. Due to the pace, and a really bad attack of insomnia (which I am seeing a doctor and psychologist for), I fell behind. I feel that I have the time to catch up in either lab, or lecture, but not both. It seems smarter to catch up in lecture and just drop the lab.

Will this look especially bad? It's only a one credit course, its a summer course, I have straight As in my post bacc (save one B+ in gen chem 2), and it would be my first W ever.
One W won't kill you.

Reactions: 1 user