W on Transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marymatthews

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 1 W (withdrawal) on my transcript... how does this affect my AASDAS GPA and/or GPA for dental schools?
How does this 1 W affect my admission? What/how do they consider this W? Does it go in as an F? Is it ignored?
What is the exact situation?
This is for an upper division bio class that I never retook.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

AADSAS doesn't factor W's into the GPA, although some dental schools deal with it differently (I heard some place an F).

I got 2 on my record though

My school gives them out within 3 days into the semester. And enrollment doesn't end until 7 days into the semester. IT SUCKS!!!

For example, which schools consider it an F?
Any NY schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
For example, which schools consider it an F?
Any NY schools?

I have no idea. I would love to know as well. Just going with what I read from these forums in the past few days.

The F thing was a rumor that someone said about UCSF, but it was confirmed by their administration that they don't equate W's to F's. I've got 6, it's no big deal.

The only negative thing, is that if you drop a class, and don't retake it later on - that can look a little shady. If you've got a legit reason for dropping it and not taking it again, possibly be prepared to answer that at an interview.

It was an upper division biology course that I took my last semester of college... so it would not be possible to retake it :)
will they care?

It was an upper division biology course that I took my last semester of college... so it would not be possible to retake it :)
will they care?

don't worry about it, put it on AADSAS like you should but nobody will ask you about it. They might start worrying if you have way more than 1.

will they care?

A good idea is maybe to get that professor to write a letter for you for the reason of the withdrawel and say you withdrew in good standing (if you were). Of course, every case is different.

My case:
Last semester I had to withdraw from the one graduate class I was taking b/c I landed a great job, and I needed the money and benefits in an otherwise down economy. At the time of the withdrawl, I had an A- in the class, and he's agreed to write a good letter explaining my W.

It might help.

What if I withdrew before taking any tests... I did not have any grades for the class. I withdrew only two weeks into the course.

Don't over think it. It will be fine. I had two on my transcript (but later retook the classes).