wages going down?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yangwang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much are fresh grads in the Northeast USA making these days?
The dentists i shadowed made about $500/day, and they are fresh grads. However, I was just looking through some job postings, and I have seen dentists hiring for $400/day, and some even $300/day, that's not including liability insurance and overheads. So with all expenses, a dentist starting out is making about $200-$280/day. HOW ARE WE GOING TO REPAY OUR LOAN AND STILL HAVE MONEY TO LIVE OUR LIVES WITH THAT KIND OF WAGES???

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know but i suspect there are very, very, very few dentists bringing home gross incomes that comes out to $280 or lower per day.

I shadowed a new(er) grad, he's in his second year of practice, at the corporate office he works he said his paychecks before taxes have been between 9-15k/month but most of the time about 12k.

Because this is one of the only new grads I've shadowed, that was not a practice owner, I dont know if his situation is unique.

You will always find low balls out there. In my previous profession as a new grad I was making $22/hr. Prior to gaining employment, my externship site offered me a job at $12:scared:. I said thanks but no thanks and moved on lol.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How much are fresh grads in the Northeast USA making these days?
The dentists i shadowed made about $500/day, and they are fresh grads. However, I was just looking through some job postings, and I have seen dentists hiring for $400/day, and some even $300/day, that's not including liability insurance and overheads. So with all expenses, a dentist starting out is making about $200-$280/day. HOW ARE WE GOING TO REPAY OUR LOAN AND STILL HAVE MONEY TO LIVE OUR LIVES WITH THAT KIND OF WAGES???

$200 a day is about $48,000 a year. You're right, you won't be able to pay loans and live on that kind of money. I don't think those jobs are quite indicative of the average starting dentist job. I would not even bother applying to work with someone who would lowball me that much.

Even the established doctors are down for the past few years. It's a combination of oversaturation and the economy. It's not getting any better unfortunately.

Even the established doctors are down for the past few years. It's a combination of oversaturation and the economy. It's not getting any better unfortunately.

Are there some stats that show this? I'm not questioning your statement, but would like to dig into the information a bit if it is available. I'd especially like to see comparisons of urban and rural practices over the last five years.

I'm inclined to believe that conditions will have to improve for dentists. People put off cleanings and exams now to save money or because they're losing dental coverage, but they're kicking a can down the road that is likely to get very expensive. Eventually, problems are going to pop up for most of them and people will need costly treatments.

I shadowed a new(er) grad, he's in his second year of practice, at the corporate office he works he said his paychecks before taxes have been between 9-15k/month but most of the time about 12k.

Because this is one of the only new grads I've shadowed, that was not a practice owner, I dont know if his situation is unique.

You will always find low balls out there. In my previous profession as a new grad I was making $22/hr. Prior to gaining employment, my externship site offered me a job at $12:scared:. I said thanks but no thanks and moved on lol.

what city is this dentist working in? I hope you guys are right about this, i am not looking forward to 4 more years of hectic schooling to make less than what i could make had i gone into accounting...

I dont feel like telling my specific city on a public forum but I will say where I shadowed was not a large city. It is a smaller bedroom city surrounding a medium sized one.

No one can tell you how much you'll make as a dentist or accountant. Nor am I trying to convice you one thing or another. I just wanted to share with you what I've witnessed while interacting with dentists. Who knows you may become a CFO as an accountant or found your dental chain that will really take off.... prob not. You'll prob make average wages as a dentist or average wages as an accountant. What you stated in your first post was a below average for dentists based on what I'm finding. Would you work as an accountant for 14/hr? It seems as likely as the low ball you found on line for a dentist.

what city is this dentist working in? I hope you guys are right about this, i am not looking forward to 4 more years of hectic schooling to make less than what i could make had i gone into accounting...

Learn how to extract a teeth efficiently and quickly. I graduated last year. Opened up a scratch start in November. I hung a huge banner that says, "Emergency Dentist." My first patients were people coming in with toothaches. $200 for exam, x-rays, and extraction and 30 mins later they are gone. I pulled a TON of teeth my first couple of months, and never once have I made as little as $200 a day. Not even close.

This is a recession, times are down, odds are you won't be in a practice that is doing $50,000 mouth rehabs, but you should not be poor.

Learn how to extract a teeth efficiently and quickly. I graduated last year. Opened up a scratch start in November. I hung a huge banner that says, "Emergency Dentist." My first patients were people coming in with toothaches. $200 for exam, x-rays, and extraction and 30 mins later they are gone. I pulled a TON of teeth my first couple of months, and never once have I made as little as $200 a day. Not even close.

This is a recession, times are down, odds are you won't be in a practice that is doing $50,000 mouth rehabs, but you should not be poor.
Wait a second... $200 for 30 mins for 1 PA and 1 EXT? That is very slow!

I graduated last year too, opened my scratch few months after yours. I agree, it's hard times for sure, but still plenty of opportunities out there to set-up your own system and make decent income. You can typically see about 4 patients a day, each NP gets FMX + EXAM + Hygiene + quadrant dentistry the same day for 60-90 mins slot in the schedule. You may ask, who would sit in the chair that long? 1 word.... NETFLIX! Average production per each patient is about $300-400 (or about $1,600/day on the low end), you can do close to this with medicaid too (at least over here). With about $500 overhead per day... Still better than working for mills (corporations), and you dont burn out from seeing 30-50 patients as an associate at other offices.

Congrats on your start-up!

Wait a second... $200 for 30 mins for 1 PA and 1 EXT? That is very slow!

I graduated last year too, opened my scratch few months after yours. I agree, it's hard times for sure, but still plenty of opportunities out there to set-up your own system and make decent income. You can typically see about 4 patients a day, each NP gets FMX + EXAM + Hygiene + quadrant dentistry the same day for 60-90 mins slot in the schedule. You may ask, who would sit in the chair that long? 1 word.... NETFLIX! Average production per each patient is about $300-400 (or about $1,600/day on the low end), you can do close to this with medicaid too (at least over here). With about $500 overhead per day... Still better than working for mills (corporations), and you dont burn out from seeing 30-50 patients as an associate at other offices.

Congrats on your start-up!

question for you guys... did you have a hard time getting additional loans for starting a new bussiness? I am assuming you had college loans in the 300k range.... were banks willing to lend you more (without co-signer ofc)?