Constant depresion/down in DS? How to cope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothmagic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I should say I am lucky I have an amazing support system. I realized I hate dentistry, never liked it, always hated it. I am in 3rd year, and just starting but every Monday it's a struggle. People say stick to it, finish it, but I feel I am running out air and the marathon hasn't even started. All the requirements in the clinic... It's just a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
All I can offer is dental school =/= dentistry. Its a sufferfest for all and hell for some. You may benefit from seeing a mental health professional rather than online forums.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm also gonna be one of those people. Stick with it at this point. You're already 3rd year. The debt is too much too back out now. At least get that DMD first so you can tackle the debt. UNLESS your family is rich and pays everything for you, then you can go ahead and ignore everything I just said and go do what makes you happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree. If you can afford it, please go get help. You’re not alone. If you’re wanting to vent, feel free. Lots of stuff to do everyday and not lots of time to do it. You have one more year left, so make small term goals and celebrate the victories as frequent as you can.

You can do this, and you will be able to at least decide if you want to practice or work in other aspects of dentistry once you’re degreed

Reactions: 1 users
So, I should say I am lucky I have an amazing support system. I realized I hate dentistry, never liked it, always hated it. I am in 3rd year, and just starting but every Monday it's a struggle. People say stick to it, finish it, but I feel I am running out air and the marathon hasn't even started. All the requirements in the clinic... It's just a lot.

Can you get specific about what parts of it you hate? Are you good at the doing and genuinely find no satisfaction or is everything a struggle at the moment?

Can you get specific about what parts of it you hate? Are you good at the doing and genuinely find no satisfaction or is everything a struggle at the moment?

+1. When I started clinic I thought I hated dentistry. It turned out I just hated dental school and sucking.

Reactions: 12 users

I think it's not knowing a lot of things in the clinic and then making mistakes, I still haven't seen patients, and I only have 1 patient scheduled, it's a lot. Now our school took our lunch break hours, I spend the whole day sometimes on my feet w/o eating anything. They did 3 sessions of 2 hrs instead of 2 of 3hrs, w/ 1 hr in between. They say we have to manage our time better, and all but in between patients there is not much time (i haven't seen pt but we assist the ones that do) in between notes/pouring cast etc.

I think it's not knowing a lot of things in the clinic and then making mistakes, I still haven't seen patients, and I only have 1 patient scheduled, it's a lot. Now our school took our lunch break hours, I spend the whole day sometimes on my feet w/o eating anything. They did 3 sessions of 2 hrs instead of 2 of 3hrs, w/ 1 hr in between. They say we have to manage our time better, and all but in between patients there is not much time (i haven't seen pt but we assist the ones that do) in between notes/pouring cast etc.
It’s easier said than done, but try not to sweat the gap in knowledge. I felt like Clinic was tough at first because not only are you new to dentistry with patients, but it’s like starting a new job at the same time (new protocol, check-out check in, responsibilities etc.). It does get better though. Stay on top of stuff and you’ll find a rhythm. Also, the knowledge gap between what you don’t know and should know slowly gets better (but there’s always more to learn).

I would also see if there’s a way you can talk with someone professionally about managing stress or some of the concerns you have. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with reaching out for help to get some perspective.

Reactions: 2 users
Hang in there. I am over a decade out now...i was just as depressed as you were. Use your DDS into other avenues such as marketing/ownership/procedures you like. Just finish and then decide what steps you want to take.

Reactions: 4 users

If you haven't seen patients then you don't know if you hate dentistry or are actually bad or just not as good as some of your peers. All you know is that you hate dental school which is common enough. Try not to beat yourself up for mistakes. Just try not to repeat the exact same ones. It's maybe the wrong way to think about it but for a patient with very poor oral health and dentition you didn't do that to them. You're there to do your best to get them to a stable level of health and then slowly over time restore what you can. If you can't or if you're imperfect in doing so it's not the end of the world. Finally keep reminding yourself dental school ≠ dentistry.

If you really hate it, it's affecting your health, and/or are on in-state tuition figure out what you would do instead and get out. Otherwise there's about 1.75 years left for you...one day at a time my friend.

Reactions: 3 users
Dental school can be miserable, mostly because of how some d-bag faculty treat students. Once you get past this and graduate life as a dentist will be good.

Dental school can be miserable, mostly because of how some d-bag faculty treat students. Once you get past this and graduate life as a dentist will be good.

... and the satisfaction you get when you realize that the dbag faculity is there because they couldn't hack it in real life.

Always tell yourself that this is just the hazing requirements to get into dentistry. What you learn in clinic has very little relevance in real practice and you're being hard on yourself based on procedural/administrative protocols that have little bearing in real life dentistry. What you get out of clinic is what you put into it.

This may sound a little harsh, but if you have time to think about food, you may not necessarily be 100% focused on what you're supposed to be doing - training yourself and finishing graduation requirements. You have to learn to be efficient.

For notes: you need a notes template. The most thorough BS fill in the blank/circle the correct choice template/SOAP notes you can throw in there. Spend a few hours doing good notes templates even for the simplest prophy and you will be able to use that in real practice. ctrl-c, ctrl-v, edit based on patient. Done!

Pouring a cast: if it's for study models or where accuracy is not an issue, go buy some snapstone online, get some slurry water from your wet model trimmer and mix. You have 15-30 seconds depending on the concentration of stone in the slurry water to pour it up or else it's over.

Being a "doctor" means thinking outside the box. If you cannot think outside the box when thrown curveballs or in this instance, "time constraints", then that just makes you a tooth mechanic. Learn from others, learn from experimentation while you're still in school/associateship.

Satisfaction comes from finishing all your graduation requirements in year 3 and having the freedom in year 4 to do whatever you want (from goofing off, to pretending to do things, to actually pursuing independent learning from part time faculty with real world experience). I remember in year 4, we would hang out at the undergrad side part of the campus during lunch or signup and mess around at off-site rotations just to stay off the radar of admin till graduation

Anyone that can put up with dental school is a hero in my book

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
For someone forced to repeat a year of dental school solely based on “attitude” problems and not grades, dental school can be extremely depressing place but there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel. Don’t give up and don’t let those faculty members bring you down. Before you know it, you’ll be doing cooler stuff and making more money then they could only dream of doing. Best of luck.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Thank you, everyone, that have given me words of encouragement!! I'll am trying to take it a day at a time!! :)

My advice is, to finish it, and then after you graduate you can do part time job as a dentist or teacher in school/ part time do whatever the hell you want and pay your loans in 30 years.
Just hang in there and also, depression is a mental issue, so you really need to talk to a real therapist and maybe even get medication, but medication is not a solution, therapy is..
So, whatever you do, don't give up on dentistry because that's your security, the sky is the limit once you graduate, you can open a dental office and let others work there and you just be the owner and will have time to do other stuff you are passionate about.
You can even not start any business and just do free work and help the poor on your free time..
What you have as a dentist is a tool to elevate yourself and everyone around you while actually helping people in need!

The amount of respect you'll get as a dentist is very high.. Don't waste it because you are depressed and hate it,, guess what.. Almost 85% of all people hate their job and most of these people have low paying jobs where they can't even be the bosses, however they still stick to these jobs because otherwise, how can they survive in this world?

Unless you are really rich and you have unlimited other options, then by all means get and MBA and take over the family business, but even then it would better if you finish the DDS degree then take over the family business! like I said it's a tool to help people!

Best of luck! Stay healthy and strong

For someone forced to repeat a year of dental school solely based on “attitude” problems and not grades, dental school can be extremely depressing place but there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel. Don’t give up and don’t let those faculty members bring you down. Before you know it, you’ll be doing cooler stuff and making more money then they could only dream of doing. Best of luck.
were these fake accusations?