Wags Management...let's throw anything and see what sticks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Galazkiewicz

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Walgreens Readies New Store Formats As Amazon And CVS Loom

giphy.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Ohhhh I get the analogy... the people behind the fence are the pharmacy staff and the gorilla is the store manager. Yup, just how I remember it.

Reactions: 2 users
Couldn’t help but notice the last sentence in the article:

“In the coming weeks and months, Walgreens will also be closing about 600 stores.”

*ominous thunder in the distant horizon*

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wags needs to buy Cigna or Anthem.

Walgreens won't say if it will ever open in south Boulder

Once there was a time this store would been put up stat with plans for the next strategic intersection a quarter mile up the road. What happened?

Looking back it was all was so ephemeral. Like only 10 years of explosive growth from 95-04. I recall how we went from a backbone of a handful of 24 hour stores on the coast of the entire state to like countless 24 hour pharmacies in just my tri-county area. The peak being 2004 when I worked a night shift store with another graveyard store less than a mile to the north and another less than a mile to the south & with 2 others within 3 miles. Insanity!

It was April 2007 I saw something never seen before in the sales numbers. YoY prescriptions actually declined. Only a smidge, but typically the monthly figures were always 4-5% YoY. The numbers grew worse as local real estate bust became recognized. Instead of trying to sell houses, speculators resorted to renting that summer. By Xmas '07 what struck me was the dearth of lights & decorations as I drove into work compared to previous years. 2005 Xmas was probably the peak when homeowners felt wealthiest, splurging on exotic novelties such as inflatable reindeer & animatronics. Then Bear Stearns in March 08 and it was game on...and we never have really ever recovered. Just a interminable slog into economic perdition and despair.

timthumb.php

Noses On! Walgreens Welcomes Red Nose Day Back to America as the Exclusive Retailer of the New Sparkle Red Nose

The hypocrisy of all this astounds me. Fighting child poverty? WTF?
This is the company notorious for stealing from employees. Erratic scheduling. Insufficent hours. We all know the deal, I don't have to list the grievances.
This has to change. There is no more blood to be had from the turnips. Either we are going to increase real wages or we're slipping into a neo-feudal oblivion. Was the post-WWII American middle class explosion an anomaly? A mere 25 years of true prosperity?

Reactions: 1 user
Was the post-WWII American middle class explosion an anomaly?

Historically, yes. The 30 or so years post-WWII was quite the anomaly. Never before in history had there been a time when a wife could stay home and not work. Previously, women always worked, in the family business, on feudal farms, in factories from the 1700's onward. Never before in history has their been a "middle" class, previously, there were only 2 classes, rich and poor (although the spread between these 2 classes was greater or lesser depending on the geographical area and historical period.)

Now, while we were all hopeful, the "middle" class was part of the progress of history and was here to stay, it seems like that is not going to happen. The best we can hope for, is that the spread between the rich and the poor won't be too great.

Historically, yes. The 30 or so years post-WWII was quite the anomaly. Never before in history had there been a time when a wife could stay home and not work. Previously, women always worked, in the family business, on feudal farms, in factories from the 1700's onward. Never before in history has their been a "middle" class, previously, there were only 2 classes, rich and poor (although the spread between these 2 classes was greater or lesser depending on the geographical area and historical period.)

Now, while we were all hopeful, the "middle" class was part of the progress of history and was here to stay, it seems like that is not going to happen. The best we can hope for, is that the spread between the rich and the poor won't be too great.
My grandfather made bolts for GM, he didn't finish high school. My grandmother stayed at home and together they had 8 kids. Today, there are two types of people, the educated, techno savy, high IQ professional class and then everyone else. Colleges sucked all the smart poor kids into the upper class. The problem is that the IQ needed to be the middle class or upper class is growing but as a species we are not getting smarter or we are not getting smarter fast enough. I feel that after automation kicks in, if you don't have a IQ of 115 and can't do a white collar job you will be unemployable. But the days, of a guy with only high school degree supporting 8 kids while the wife works at home at over. Only the baby boomers see this as the norm.