Wait a year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoeGator86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been planning to go into a health profession after college since I started college, but I went to my pre-Health advisor today and he didn't really like how my transcript looked. This was the first time I'd been to a pre-health advisor, before I had just gone to my major advisor and he told him of my pre-health plans (this was very stuipd).

Anyway, here are my stats.
Upcoming Senior Chem Major
3.91 GPA 3.95 Science
Been doing research for starting last semester (chemistry related)
Volunteered at the hospital for 2 summers
Expecting (not for sure) 35+ on MCAT

I have other minor stuff but now here are my problems.

--I am scheduled to take the MCAT in the mid August.
--My LoRs are not in order (I would have to rush them, all but 1 wouldn't be great)
--Advisor says my transcript looks bad because I took only 12 hours a semester. (had 30 AP credits so I still finish in 4 yrs)
--I didn't know I had to take BSC2011 in college (I got a 5 on AP) the closest I've taken to Bio in college is Biochemistry
--Also he said I don't have good diversity in my classes (cause APs) I have 3-4 random classes (psyc business) but I don't have any history, philosophy, he said take a religion class lol.
--I have 2 minor judical records (drinking 1st year and a half of college, Immature crap thats over)

Anyway the advisor said applying this year wasn't out of the question but I had some problems. The way I see it I can fix all these problems by taking a heavy course load my senior year with 2 different bios. I can improve my LoRs in that time as well. The only thing that will remain is my judical record (thats what I get for being stupid).

If I do this it means I will start med school a year later and need to get a job with my Chemistry major (don't know what kind of job I can get with this, teach High School LoL).

I know I've made some stupid mistakes but I'm sure my goal of med school is still obtainable. Plz someone give me some advice.
Also I'm applying to state schools in Florida and my pipedream school is Berkeley.

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely apply this cycle, no doubt about it. Your GPA is amazing, and even if you score 5 points below your expected MCAT score, you'll still be in good shape for an acceptance.

One of the best resources I've seen on SDN is a listing of all the schools' secondary essay prompts. With any luck, they'll be the same this year or will be posted by people who've applied earlier than you did. Look those up (or start a thread for them. ;)), and have the essays for the schools you're interested in prepared ahead of time. Get your LOR's straight, and make sure everything is sent in and verified and yada yada yada before your MCAT scores come in so that you can have your AMCAS completed ASAP. If you've kept up, you'll have every secondary essay you'll be required to write already done before you even apply. Submit those secondaries and all associated information as soon as possible, and you'll still be solidly at average where application time is concerned.

Advice on each of your worries:
1) addressed above
2) You'd better take care of this one as soon as possible. Chat with professors, take them to lunch, explain your plight, and do whatever you need to do to get good recs. From what I've heard, as long as you don't get a lukewarm or bad rec, your recs will be a neutral part of your file. Only awesome and terrible recs even get noticed. For you, neutral is probably good enough.
3) Not a problem at all. You have a 3.91. While it's not going to shine like someone who took absurdly hard classes and 18 hours every semester, it's still a 3.91.
4) What's BSC2011?
5) Doesn't matter much. I took nothing but science classes for 4.5 years, for the most part.
6) Notable, but I doubt it'll keep you down. You'll probably be asked about them in interviews, but as long as you own up and respond maturely, you're fine. Everyone has been stupid at one point or another.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're a College Senior (or in your early 20s, either way), I'd recommend waiting. You have potential to get into some excellent schools if your MCAT scores are low-to-mid 30s. Applying this year is feasible, but the schedule is tight. Your scores won't even be out until mid September. This also gives you time to get your LORs straightened out and take any Biology or Biochemistry course you may need.

At your age, one extra year is no big deal especially since waiting does give you some extra options.

FYI, Berkeley does not have a Medical School. Maybe you were thinking of UCSF? If you score 33+, you might get invited. Applying next year also gives you more than one attempt at the MCAT, which is nice.

Here's my 2 cents: If you apply this year, I would say that chances are you will get accepted somewhere. If you wait year and polish up your application, rock the MCAT, get some more clinical experience, get all applications in real early, etc... You could have a shot at some top-tier caliber schools. So if you just want to get accepted somewhere and move on with your life, just go ahead and apply. If you care to have a chance at some top schools, then I would wait.

I appreciate the help. I'm going to try to apply this year, I gotta get my recs in order. If it doesn't work out Ill apply again.