Wait list numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vnacyd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have asked this before, but maybe this time I will have more luck with answers. About how many people are placed on a wait list per school? I know that the number depends on the school. But are there any rough guesses?

Members don't see this ad.

Having applied twice to schools and been on maybe 6 wait lists, I think you are correct in asking for only an rough estimate. I was on a wait list at three schools last year (Iowa, Case and Hopkins) and each told me a different story about numbers.

Iowa had two wait lists, one for in state and one for out of state. I was number 92 on the out of sate one. They did tell me though that the year before, they had gone through 78 on their out of state list.

I remember also that Hopkins told me that they rarely got through their first third group on the wait list meaning that the majority of the time, two thirds of students were placed on the waitlist for no real reason.

While all of this might seem kind of dreadful, I should mention that I just did get off the waitlist this year at Penn...

Good luck.

At UCSF they put 100 people on their waitlist, and they say that the top half has a pretty good chance of being accepted. A student from there who graduated a couple of years ago told me that in her year, nearly 1/3 of the class had come off the waitlist. I do not think that there is a huge amount of movement until right about now - I just got into UCSF off the waitlist on Friday...so someone will be getting the other spot I was holding pretty soon...maybe it'll be you
smile.gif

Good luck!