Wait list resulting to invitation then match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxBoy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if there is that one in million underdog that got waitlisted at a program, then later offered an interview and eventually matched?

Has that happened to anyone here or heard of it happening to anyone they knew?

A true Rocky Balboa of Anesthesia.

(I don't have wishful thinking, I am already swamped with IVs as it is, I am just curious).

Members don't see this ad.

yeah I matched at a program that I was initially wait listed at and subsequently matched into, so it can be done. And I have to say that I could not be happier with the program.

It happens.

We've taken one resident in the past two years that was waitlisted for an interview to begin with. And they have turned out to be absolutely stellar hard-working team players. This year, we just interviewed an originally waitlisted candidate that now after interviewing her we will probably end up ranking her in our top 20!

So bottom line, yes, it can happen... more commonly than you may think.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not that uncommon. Especially with the higher numbers of "qualified candidates." Many times, the interview spots are all filled up and there are many very qualified candidates remaining. Once candidates start doing late season cancellations, spots open up for candidates that were initially waitlisted but may be just as worthy as half of the ones who were asked to interview. Once in the door, each candidate has their chance to impress.

I can honestly say that when I interview candidates, I often finish the day having totally different opinions of candidates than I had when they were just faces on paper. Many times, the ones who knock your socks off on paper are ones that you could not stand to be around for 3-4 years. Similarly, many supposedly average candidates really shine in the personal interviews and the social setting of the dinners, lunch, or tours.

Although scores and grades are important, they are not the only thing to consider and it is unfortuante that many really good candidates don't get as many chances as they should due to arbitrary cutoffs based on scores, grades, and time and money constraints that will not allow us to "just interview everyone."

The main point is to just get your foot in the door. From there, you have a chance.

Last edited:
I was rejected from a program that I had been planning on going to throughout my medical school years. Really pissed off. Talked to some of my medical school attendings about it (some of them trained at that program). Also, when I interviewed at other programs that directly compete with that program, some of the interviewers (who asked what I thought of that program ) were suprised that I did not get an interview there (some of the interviewers trained there)

After about a month or so, got a call from that program and they said they made a mistake and wanted me to come for an interview. I went and enjoyed the opportunity to ask the PD "why am i good enough now?"

Ended up ranking the program 2nd. Matched at my 1st choice. Got call after match. " Hey, what happened?"

I was rejected from a program that I had been planning on going to throughout my medical school years. Really pissed off. Talked to some of my medical school attendings about it (some of them trained at that program). Also, when I interviewed at other programs that directly compete with that program, some of the interviewers (who asked what I thought of that program ) were suprised that I did not get an interview there (some of the interviewers trained there)

After about a month or so, got a call from that program and they said they made a mistake and wanted me to come for an interview. I went and enjoyed the opportunity to ask the PD "why am i good enough now?"

Ended up ranking the program 2nd. Matched at my 1st choice. Got call after match. " Hey, what happened?"

so what did they tell as to the reason of why you were good enough for an interview a month after you were initially rejected? Did someone form your med school make a phone call to the program director there?

so what did they tell as to the reason of why you were good enough for an interview a month after you were initially rejected? Did someone form your med school make a phone call to the program director there?

Some BS about having to review a lot of applications, setting forth certain criteria up front and that I fell through the system blah blah...

Dont know for sure if someone at my institution made a call or not, but one attending was suprised after I told her that I didnt rank them #1, as if she had gone to bat for me and i let her down. Oh well...

Some BS about having to review a lot of applications, setting forth certain criteria up front and that I fell through the system blah blah...

Dont know for sure if someone at my institution made a call or not, but one attending was suprised after I told her that I didnt rank them #1, as if she had gone to bat for me and i let her down. Oh well...

thank you for the reply... You can't please everyone. the bottom line is that you matched. I am sure she won't hold it against you for too long. You have to do what's best for your future.

i would think there is an extra pressure to perform well. otherwise its like, "we should have left him/her on the waitlist"

i think its true as a DO as well. if you're the first DO to match at a allopathic program, there are all eyes on you type feel that sets the precedent for possible future DO residents.

i would think there is an extra pressure to perform well. otherwise its like, "we should have left him/her on the waitlist"

There probably is no extra pressure to perform well...very few people will know that the person got in off the waitlist. That information is privy to probably the program director, secretary and the chairman and who will remember. The people who work the OR will judge you. If this happens to anyone, don't worry, just do what you gotta do. Most attendings will know from day one or two if you can hack it.