Wait list success?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xamwell

Englishologist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has personal experience or knows someone who may have successfully matched a program after being called up off the wait list. I'm currenltly on the list at a program I'm extremely interested in. I was going to send a letter to reaffirm my interest and was curious if anyone has done so, been invited for an interview, and ended up successfully at said program. Seems like a long shot but who doesn't root for an underdog?

:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

As were at approximately 200 views for this thread and no responses I'd say that it doesn't bode well to hope for much off the wait list. :D

I would agree with you. Odds of ending up off the waitlist to match is highly unlikely. I haven't been to any ranking meetings, but I think for the majority of us applicants our interviews won't improve our application greatly. In some cases it may, and one may end up being ranked.

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I was waitlisted at a program last year, got a call on a Tuesday and they said they had a spot open up for the upcoming Friday if I could make it. I drove the 6 hours, interviewed, fell in love with the program, received a letter a few weeks later saying I was one of their top choices, ranked it #1, and matched there.

It happens.

PD at my home program said that once you get there you have about the same shot as anybody else. You might be just as qualified as most other candidates and just didn't get an initial invite because they just don't have enough spots.

Just wondering if anyone has personal experience or knows someone who may have successfully matched a program after being called up off the wait list. I'm currenltly on the list at a program I'm extremely interested in. I was going to send a letter to reaffirm my interest and was curious if anyone has done so, been invited for an interview, and ended up successfully at said program. Seems like a long shot but who doesn't root for an underdog?

:xf:

Know someone who was on the waitlist at a program until mid december, gets a call to interview around christmas, goes there for a second look and matches there. It happens.