Wait list waiting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's possible. If it doesn't happen this year, reevaluate how badly you want it. Take the year to strengthen your application: Revise your personal statement, retake your standardized tests, and try to get some good work on your CV (volunteer, get some presentations at conferences under your belt if you have the research connections, build some new contacts). Don't fret about reapplying. I have spoken to many professors and current students who applied two years in a row...there's no doubt about it being a competitive field. Kind of makes you proud that it's not a cake-walk to be a clinical psychologist.

Although, don't go there yet...there's still hope for this year...:rolleyes:

I'm a first-year in a funded Clinical Psych PhD program and absolutely love every aspect. It was worth the battle.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What did you do between last year and this year's round to strengthen your application?

Hello again to you all,
Here is what I did:
1. I contacted my POIs at each school in late summer/early fall to introduce myself and ask if they were taking a student that year. I highly recommend this! Then, keep in contact with them throughout the process.
2. I sent in 5 LOR instead of the norm (3).
3. I took the psych GRE over again because I knew I could do a lot better and I did. (seriously consider taking the general or psych GREs over again if you can - above a 1300 is good, over 1350 and you are golden)
4. I applied to more schools and a wider range of programs (some PsyD, some only partially funded, some in not so ideal locations)
5. I worked really making my personal statement awesome and I got a lot of compliments on it this year because it is "out of the box."
6. I also recommend doing many mock interviews with people who will give you honest and constructive criticism.
7. I presented a research poster and was first author.

I think that is it. Hope it is helpful. Good luck! :luck:

Does anyone else who's been waitlisted feel kind of angry? I don't know that I want to go to a school that thinks I'm second best. There's got to be a better way to do this. Or maybe I'm just being hypersensitive.

Nope, I'd rather be lucky than good. Believe me, no one cares if you were selected off the waitlist when you get there. You were interviewed only if they would normally offer you a spot to begin with, rank ordering the highest quality applicants is a necessary evil. Usually it can be exceptionally close between qualified applicants, so it's not really seen as a strike against you but rather we have Y applicants and X slots... I know that there were MANY super competitive people applying at my program this year, I think that the profs have a hard time picking who they want.

Mark

PS - The advice in the post above mine is really great advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering whether those that are alternates for programs have been trying to keep in touch with their POI to see whether the spot has been accepted or not. I know that April 15th is only two weeks away, but I am keeping two other programs waiting because of my status at my top choice.

Do you think it is excessive to email my POI regarding the spot, even though I just spoke with him 2 weeks ago?

Hi all--I just wanted to drop a line on this thread to wish you all good luck. I was in this boat last year--3 interviews, 2 wait lists....nail biting until April 10 when I was finally accepted. I know it sucks, but hang in there!! :luck:

I was wondering whether those that are alternates for programs have been trying to keep in touch with their POI to see whether the spot has been accepted or not. I know that April 15th is only two weeks away, but I am keeping two other programs waiting because of my status at my top choice.

Do you think it is excessive to email my POI regarding the spot, even though I just spoke with him 2 weeks ago?

Why is it necessary to keep two offers on hold? Choose a back up and turn down the third choice!

Why is it necessary to keep two offers on hold? Choose a back up and turn down the third choice!

Considering I have put so much time and effort into this process, I think it is legitimate for me to hold onto these offers until I have the logistics of each offer. I have narrowed it down and already declined the other schools but am waiting for the additional information regarding financial aid and such before making my choice.

Guys, we are all going through the same waiting game and experiencing the same stress, I hate reading so many bitter replies when individuals are simply looking for advice or support from people who understand.

Is anyone waiting on top choice so worried about second choice that they would reapply next year? I am kind of in that boat and I think first choice is WAY OFF, not going to happen. Second choice, program fits, research area not so much, and I would be on the other side of the country from my family. I'd be ok but my dad is not doing well, and I am afraid that I wouldn't stay if he got sick or at least have to take a leave. I am on only child, so it's just me.

Considering I have put so much time and effort into this process, I think it is legitimate for me to hold onto these offers until I have the logistics of each offer. I have narrowed it down and already declined the other schools but am waiting for the additional information regarding financial aid and such before making my choice.

Guys, we are all going through the same waiting game and experiencing the same stress, I hate reading so many bitter replies when individuals are simply looking for advice or support from people who understand.

I think there's a differene to between a bitter reply and a genuine concern for others who are waiting (and perhaps have no offers). If you are looking for honest advice, don't be suprised to find honest opinions.

It's certainly not a personal attack and I understand your situation NOW with the information you provided. That's why I asked the question. I think it would be empathetic you to understand how the rest of us feel, as well. Best of luck.

Is anyone waiting on top choice so worried about second choice that they would reapply next year? I am kind of in that boat and I think first choice is WAY OFF, not going to happen. Second choice, program fits, research area not so much, and I would be on the other side of the country from my family. I'd be ok but my dad is not doing well, and I am afraid that I wouldn't stay if he got sick or at least have to take a leave. I am on only child, so it's just me.

Actually I'm in a similar boat where my choice is expensive, not a great match, and would be very inconvenient for me. I've stressed over this decision for a few weeks not and I've decided that I've worked way too long and hard to take a spot that wouldn't be right for me. I can't speak for your situation exactly but I wouldn't recommend selling yourself short ;). g-d willing your father with get much better and make the decision easier for you.

I'm with you on this one. After interviewing at IUP, I decided I was a far better fit there than at Antioch NE (which had previously been my top pick, but only on paper). I have received an offer from Antioch but turned it down, despite being on the IUP waitlist. My reasoning is that, given the cost in both time and money (spent or simply unearned), I want to be sure I am where I feel I fit. If that means waiting another year, then so be it. This is my first round of Psy.D application and even though I am chomping at the bit to get started, I realize this is all a learning process.

On a side note, I only recently discovered these forums (after selecting and applying to my programs) and am happy to have this wealth of experience and advice handy should I need to reapply next year. :thumbup: Good luck with your decision! :thumbup:

Hey guys,

Wanted to let you all know that I just got accepted to my first choice off the waitlist, so there's hope for everyone!

FYI, I did keep close contact with my POI's while on the waitlist. I politely asked them what my position was and they were very helpful. I also asked them to let me know either way when the person(s) before me made a decision. They all understand the nail-biting we're going through.

I would give it a little more time. They know you are waiting. Maybe the end of this week, with an email or phone call saying..."I know you're swamped, but I have other offers, you are one of my top choices, and I would just like to know where I stand..." or something like that.

Don't feel bad about holding on to your offers. I know you feel that some comments from others put you on the defensive. Emotions tend to run pretty high in here this time of the year, and I am sure you can understand how people who are waitlisted (maybe at the schools where you are holding offers) feel. I was in the same boat last year and had two offers while I was 1st alternate waitlisted for my first choice. I weeded through the pros and cons of the two I was holding (it took a while), let one go, and then finally got the word that the offer had been accepted at my first choice so I accepted the other offer I was holding.

It's rough! Making this decision will definitely change your life. No one should rush when making it.

Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Wanted to let you all know that I just got accepted to my first choice off the waitlist, so there's hope for everyone!

FYI, I did keep close contact with my POI's while on the waitlist. I politely asked them what my position was and they were very helpful. I also asked them to let me know either way when the person(s) before me made a decision. They all understand the nail-biting we're going through.

That's reassuring! Thanks for sharing that. How often did you communicate with your POI? I have been emailing with him and he has been very helpful and I think this contact is helping me in the decision making over there. I know the post above this one said that contacting too often is bad but I just cant wait anymore. I talked to him about 1 1/2 ago and I know it's too soon to email again but ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. lol

That's reassuring! Thanks for sharing that. How often did you communicate with your POI? I have been emailing with him and he has been very helpful and I think this contact is helping me in the decision making over there. I know the post above this one said that contacting too often is bad but I just cant wait anymore. I talked to him about 1 1/2 ago and I know it's too soon to email again but ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. lol

Lucy,

If you are talking abt your POI at UNR, I know that he will be out of town (mostly out of the country) for all of April. He still answers when he's out of town, but it might take a little longer. Just so you know in case you get a slow reply!

I hope everything works out!

Okay every 1 and a half may be a little too often, lol. I think I may have sent her an e-mail every couple of weeks. But things should start happening pretty quickly in the next couple of weeks.

Lucy,

If you are talking abt your POI at UNR, I know that he will be out of town (mostly out of the country) for all of April. He still answers when he's out of town, but it might take a little longer. Just so you know in case you get a slow reply!

I hope everything works out!

Thanks for the heads up, Annie.

Okay every 1 and a half may be a little too often, lol. I think I may have sent her an e-mail every couple of weeks. But things should start happening pretty quickly in the next couple of weeks.

I know.....it's hard to just sit...and wait...:eek:

I was waitlisted as my top choice, and got a letter two weeks ago saying they didn't like giving out the wait list rankings, but that I was some where in the "top 5"

Is this a good sign or should I kinda be worried?

I was wait listed for this same program last year and never got this "extra letter", so Im hoping it's a good sign, we'll see

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hi everyone,
Two weeks ago, I called my top choice program to see where I stood. The secretary transferred me to one of the professors, who I guess is overseeing the admissions process, and he said I was waitlisted. He told me to check back around April 1 with him or my POI.

I sent my POI an e-mail on March 31 to ask where things stood, but as of today, I haven't gotten a response.

She never wrote back to my thank you e-mail following the interview (which I understand - she's busy and can't acknowledge every e-mail). I'm just wondering now if she's GETTING my e-mails. Her address is pretty straightforward - [email protected], but the fact she never responds makes me wonder if my e-mails aren't getting through. :confused:

Should I call the secretary tomorrow and get her number to call? I can't figure out if she didn't get my message or if she's deliberately not responding. Or should I try to contact the professor who seems to be overseeing the admissions?

Thanks.

Just thought this might cheer everyone up:

School X (clinical PhD) officially rejected me some time ago. I received an email from the DCT this morning asking me to do a phone interview next week.

I've already accepted elsewhere, so I declined. However, I thought some of you might like to hear what CAN happen!

That is so awesome! You got me so curious, who was it? Don't feel obligated to answer, but if you don't care you can always PM

BTW I still read this thread to see if anyone else has gotten off the waitlist and into their top choices. I'm really rooting for everyone. My congratulations to Neuronnerd1 and moonflwr! Awesome!

School X (clinical PhD) officially rejected me some time ago. I received an email from the DCT this morning asking me to do a phone interview next week.

I've already accepted elsewhere, so I declined. However, I thought some of you might like to hear what CAN happen!

Sure. :) It was Univ of N. Dakota.

Sweet! Isn't it funny how things work out like that sometimes?

At a solid clinical PhD, a collegue was: (1) rejected by mail only to be (2) invited to interview by telephone and (3) finally accepted one week later.

Accepted off the waitlist to my #1. Last night I wrote out my check to my #2, because I had given up hope.

Don't lose hope yet

got accepted off the waitlist today from the program I liked most - problem is, it would require incurring a large debt and moving 5 hours from home.:confused:

still on the waitlist at 3 schools that are near me...

this is so hard! :scared:

I am on a wait list at my 1st choice school who said I should hear slightly before or after April 15th. I am holding on to one other acceptance, just in case I am not accepted to my 1st choice. Here is my dilemma: if I do not here from my 1st choice by April 15th and accept my 2nd choice, and then a week later get accepted to my 1st choice, am I allowed to accept it? I hear that this is frowned upon, but I would like to hear what others think.

Hope this makes sense...

I am on a wait list at my 1st choice school who said I should hear slightly before or after April 15th. I am holding on to one other acceptance, just in case I am not accepted to my 1st choice. Here is my dilemma: if I do not here from my 1st choice by April 15th and accept my 2nd choice, and then a week later get accepted to my 1st choice, am I allowed to accept it? I hear that this is frowned upon, but I would like to hear what others think.

Hope this makes sense...

I had a similar problem. Check out this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=512486

It is absolutely frowned upon and I feel like a jerk, but like they say, you gotta do what's best for you. And in the long run, it's not really THAT big of a deal...

Hope this makes sense...

Here is what the Council of Graduate Schools says:

Acceptance of an offer of financial support (such as a graduate scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, or assistantship) for the next
academic year by a prospective or enrolled graduate student completes an agreement that both student and graduate school
expect to honor. In that context, the conditions affecting such offers and their acceptance must be defined carefully and understood
by all parties.
Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of
such offers violate the intent of this Resolution. In those instances in which a student accepts an offer before April 15, and subsequently
desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time
through April 15. However, an acceptance given or left in force after April 15 commits the student not to accept another offer
without first obtaining a written release from the institution to which a commitment has been made. Similarly, an offer by an institution
after April 15 is conditional on presentation by the student of the written release from any previously accepted offer. It is
further agreed by the institutions and organizations subscribing to the above Resolution that a copy of this Resolution should​
accompany every scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, and assistantship offer.

Here's the link: http://www.cgsnet.org/portals/0/pdf/CGSResolutionMarch2008.pdf

I hope this helps!

if you're on the waitlist - then they started inviting people from the waitlist. they email to ask if i was still interested.

So i was also just waitlisted at my top choice. Next alternate :(

But heres my question...What happens if the person turns it down on the 15th and I am contacted on or after the 15th..but I have already been forced to pick among the schools I was accepted at by that point. Am I able to change my mind after the receiving a later offer????? How does this work?
Pick whatever you think is the right choice for you; 15th or later. Schools make you wait beyond deadline, so, what the hell? Why should we be so delicate with the schools. There can't be any legal fallout, don't worry. I don't !

Good luck.