Waiter or CNA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeninsulaDude

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all. I am a first year pre-med student who will be at home for the summer in a few weeks. I have the opprotunity to take a waitering position that would be 5 days a week in the evenings. It pays very well with tips, and I could use to have a job that pays well as I live on my own and don’t have a family to support me financially. If I took this job, I would be able to volunteer and shadow in the mornings and afternoons. However, I also have the opportunity to take a CNA class and become a CNA. It would pay about half as much as the waitering job, but it would provide me with some great experience. I would most likely not have time to volunteer and shadow if I took this job, but being a CNA would look good on any applications I may have in the future. What are y’all’s thoughts and opinions on whether I should take the waitering job and the increased pay or the CNA job and the increased experience? Your thoughts and comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Being able to talk to people is huge. Establishing connections in a short amount of time and having people learn to like you and trust you instantly is a powerful tool...

I usually tell people that CNA experience is great, but if you struggle with the above I would wait some tables and learn to shoot the ****!

If you already feel that you have a high social intelligence, grab the CNA job. It will be more fulfilling.

Honestly take the money and volunteer

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Had a waiter job for 7 years as a premed and it helped my social skills 10000%, I’d say take the waiter job

Reactions: 1 users
Another option/tip if you want clinical exposure: you can gain paid clinical employment without a CNA. Look into assisted living/memory care homes in your area, those that are licensed as adult foster care may not require you to have a CNA to work there, win win.

Last edited:
You'll have plenty of time to be a waiter as a CNA, the food just won't be as good/solid.

Reactions: 4 users
If you’re able to volunteer and get some clinical exposure while making the waiter money, then I’d pick waiter.

Honestly, with the way medicine has changed it may be more valuable to be a waiter. The days of physician paternalism are over. Patients now come in with a litany of demands for precise tests, medications, and other services. Because physician compensation is now linked to patient satisfaction (you'll learn about Press Ganey scores) you had best learn how to provide service with a smile

Waiter will make you unique which can help! I know people who wrote personal statements about being a bartender and got into med school. Just make sure you’re still able to have some clinical experiences on your application.