Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Waiting a semester in between Organic Chem 1 & 2

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by longhornatheart, Dec 31, 2009.

1. longhornatheart

Pharmacy Student
    Hello all! Happy New Year!

I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on how difficult it would be to take organic chem 2 + lab with an entire semester's worth of gap in between organic 1 & 2. Summer 2010 will be dedicated to organic 1 + PCAT and Spring 2011 is when I'm thinking about taking organic 2. I'm getting married during Fall 2010 and I'm not sure how focused I'd be on finals afterward! Thinking about taking an easier course that semester.

Appreciate the feedback!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PharmBoy8

PharmBoy8 Accepted Pharmacy Student

Pharmacy Student
    If I were you, I'd see how well I do in orgo 1. If you do very well and you seem to understand it with great deal, you should be able to handle a semester in between, but if you find yourself struggling, I wouldnt take the chance of lossing some of that orgo 1 material.

my .02

4. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice No sacrifice - No victory
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    I did a one-semester gap between Org I and II - it wasn't a major issue. You will have to spend some extra time studying on your own at the beginning of the second semester, but it is certainly doable.

5. koercive

koercive Industry HE&OR, Large Cap Pharma
    Partner Organization

Pharmacist
    I had a 2 quarter gap in between ochem B and C (we're on a quarter system at the UCs), and it wasn't an issue.

But there was an ochem lab that I didn't take from 2nd year that I waited until after I graduated. There were some issues there , but I still passed with a C+ :)

6. luckyphooey

Resident [Any Field]
    I took Orgo 2 in the spring and in the course of winter break I had forgotten almost everything about Orgo 1. I basically had to refresh and relearn some major concepts anyways as if I had taken a semester off before Orgo 2.

7. docss26

Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    Depends on how well you mastered Orgo1. In my experiences, remembering material from orgo1 was very important and necessary for my success in orgo2. At least at my university it was heavily emphasized.

8. longhornatheart

Pharmacy Student
    Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Guess I'll see how I do in orgo 1 first!

9. DocAcclamation

Pre-Pharmacy
    Don't think taking a semester gap is a good idea because you will be off rhythm not saying its not possible. Possibility of you doing better is higher taking Orgo 2 right after completing Orgo 1. Also the material will be fresh in your head taking one after the other. Thoughts?

10. JavariPharmD23

Pre-Pharmacy
    I need help! I’m taking Organic Chemistry 2 this semester and I’ve completely forgot all of my chemistry. The last time I took Organic Chemistry was 2 years ago!!! Am I screwed?

11. lalaland33

Pre-Pharmacy
    How well did you do in OChem 1?

12. JavariPharmD23

Pre-Pharmacy
    It got a “C” in O. chem 1

13. lalaland33

Pre-Pharmacy
    Ochem 2 is tougher for people than Ochem 1 because you're applying everything you learned from the first class to this one and is more like solving puzzles (IR, HNMR, CNMR, and mass spec). I would suggest reviewing your Ochem 1 notes and going over the lecture with your professor during office hours.

JavariPharmD23 likes this.