Waiting is worse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosemma

MSU CVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would be so happy when apps were done and now all I can do is wait! It is so nerve racking. I can't believe that we have to wait months... I can't even wait a few days. Anyone else in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad.

Yep. Welcome to the boat. Sucks, but what can you do? The thing that really sucks is that most med schools have been interviewing for awhile now. Oh well. Doea anyone have any idea when we might start hearing from schools? I know it is probably CVM dependant, but maybe just a ballpark estimate.

I am having trouble waiting too, and I am also having trouble enjoying the fall season now because its been so stressful with the deadlines looming and I keep forgetting that for now I am done and can concentrate on my three jobs, my dog's training, and getting my house in some sort of condition that does not look like a cat 5 tornado just passed through.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. Welcome to the boat. Sucks, but what can you do? The thing that really sucks is that most med schools have been interviewing for awhile now. Oh well. Doea anyone have any idea when we might start hearing from schools? I know it is probably CVM dependant, but maybe just a ballpark estimate.

It varies from school to school, but I think one of the earliest to notify, with their acceptances and rejections, is Cornell and that happens mid to late January. Then I think many of the other schools start doling out interviews in February.

In the mean time go read some books or go to the park or whatever it is you like to do that you won't have much time for once you get in!

Of the schools I applied to last year (Ohio State, Tennessee, Auburn, Purdue, Illinois, and NCSU), Ohio notified first I had interviewed and was admitted before Christmas. I heard from Illinois and Purdue next (both in early February I believe). Illinois was a reject and Purdue was an interview in late February, which I turned down. NCSU notified me of my waitlist spot in late March. Tennesse and Auburn both had interviews in mid-March with acceptance notifications the first week in April. Hope this helps.

My plan, as far as the waiting game goes, is to not pay any attention at all as to when I should expect notification of interviews, acceptances, rejections, etc. For the schools I applied to, I have no idea when i should expect things. That way, I'll be surprised of any mail I get, which just keeps things interesting, and I won't be "waiting" at all :) We'll see how well this works in February when I know I should be getting something.....

From what I remember from last year, Colorado State started sending out acceptances in mid-to-late January; Penn did interviews in Jan/Feb; Illinois does all their interviews on a single day in Feb (how they do this I have no idea); Wisconsin sent out acceptances and rejections in late Feb/early March; and UC Davis was the latest with interviews in March and acceptances/rejections in late March/early April.

The thing that's bothering me currently is that my friends, family, and coworkers keep asking me "so when will you hear back from schools?" I'm trying really hard to just not think about it all, but when people ask me pretty much daily, it keeps the waiting top-of-mind!

rex-
thats the plan i'm doing also-trying not to think about any of it. It helps that my job is insane and keeps me really busy and i'm taking one of my last pre-req classes. however-if i hear *nothing* by february, yea i'll be pissed i spent over $1000 on all my application stuff to hear nothing at all...

My plan, as far as the waiting game goes, is to not pay any attention at all as to when I should expect notification of interviews, acceptances, rejections, etc. For the schools I applied to, I have no idea when i should expect things. That way, I'll be surprised of any mail I get, which just keeps things interesting, and I won't be "waiting" at all :) We'll see how well this works in February when I know I should be getting something.....

that is a great plan. just forget about it and go back to your normal life. that is really the best thing to do.

I am just too worried about interviews - I want to start prepping now to make sure I have some kind of practice or idea about what I am doing. It is the only thing I can control at this point. I am so worried I will get a question that I will have no idea how to answer or get a ton of technical questions...

Most interviews will be targeted to your application. Be prepared to answer questions about your experiences. If you don't know an answer just say you don't know but you will find out. Do not try to make something up!

But for now don't worry about interviews most aren't until february although some happen in december or january.

I figured as much. I volunteered for a while and now I am just trying to figure out about the research they were actually doing in the lab. I know they will ask me about it and I am worried I won't have anything to say really. I know what I did, but I don't know many of the details.

All you need to know is what you did. And maybe the general goal for the project.