Waiting Tables at Applebees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Insulinshock

Class of 2022
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much do you think this would allow me to "stand out," as many of you have elequantly put it? I've been doing it for a while now. It may not at all but I haven't heard many pre-meds doing it so I figured I'd throw it out there and see what you all thought.

Members don't see this ad.

I know of quite a few premeds that have waited tables at a bunch of restaurants to pay for college.

If you think it's contributed to your growth, then feel free to put it in your AMCAS, but in my opinion, there are other activities that can help you stand out a little bit more.

I would definitely put this on your app given that you don't have 15 other substantial entries.

Any kind of long term work activity is positive, it shows commitment, responsibility, and that you can work hard as a part of a team. Also for the restaurant business, I know from personal experience that people skills are a must and are developed more and more as you deal with difficult or awesome customers.

Members don't see this ad :)
put it on your app...but honestly what can make someone "stand out"...chances are if you're doing it to stand out, someone else has already tried.

I waited tables at Applebees for years (and several other restaraunts). I think it contributes to you medically because it is experience in serving others. If you have space, put it on your app. Adcoms people have told me they understand some people need to spend their time making money instead of volunteering at the local ER, and they are really looking for a commitment to serving others.

How much do you think this would allow me to "stand out," as many of you have elequantly put it? I've been doing it for a while now. It may not at all but I haven't heard many pre-meds doing it so I figured I'd throw it out there and see what you all thought.

I would include it because it shows that you didn't just sit at home and do nothing with your free time. ADCOMs take into account that some people have to work throughout school. At the same time, make sure you have substantial medical experiences and the other things that make a strong applicant. Waiting tables alone isn't going to get you in. Good luck.

I agree with all the other posters. It's a fine thing to put as one of your 15 (barring anything else that may be better), but don't expect it to get you any major attention. I put down a job I had in construction during college and it got mentioned in one interview. The interviewer basically just commented to himself that it looked like I wasn't afraid to get my hands dirty and then moved on. Can't imagine waiting tables getting more of a response than that, but I imagine it would work in your favor. Just my $0.02.

ah, I am server right now at Applebees... Would love to have every shift erased from my memory.

I don't think it's going to make you stand out, but it might be seen as corroborating evidence of your work ethic (provided that you have other evidence). If you were waiting tables 20 hours per week and bodyslamming all your classes, then that would probably be looked on favorably.

Now selling running shoes... that's star quality. :)

Plenty of people work in some form before medical school. I would guess it just shows you have the ability to keep a steady job. Besides, money is good to have... especially when you're hungry... :(

Yeah.. stand out is probably not the way to best describe this, but it shows you work hard and are committed to something.

IMO, listing it is better than not listing it. i had a bunch of crappy jobs that i put on there just so that adcoms wouldn't think i was a loser slacker in the summers.

it's not going to impress anyone, but when someone has crap work experience at least it shows that they know how to work hard and have some sort of sense of responsibility for their life.

my parents paid for school, but they sure as heck weren't going to let me slack off for 2 months on their dime. if i was questioned about why i didn't do research or SMDEP sooner, i would've just said that i needed money and fast.

It seems like everyone who applies to medical school has spent their summers working in rural clinics in Africa and Haiti while volunteering on the First Aid Squad and doing cutting edge medical research resulting in a number of first author papers. Honestly, not all of us have the luxury of volunteering all the time. Adcoms know that. They will appreciate your work ethic. Also, some of the skills you've learned as a server will come in handy on the wards!