Waiting to start DPT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mark_93

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So while waiting to start the DPT program, does anyone plan on doing some anatomy review beforehand?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
No. And according to current students, you shouldn't, because you have to relearn everything anyway :)

No. And according to current students, you shouldn't, because you have to relearn everything anyway :)
That is what I've heard too. But seeing that Anatomy and Physiology were one of my weaker prerequisites and I haven't taken the course in 3 years, I want to do a refresher on basic anatomy. So I ordered a copy of Netter's Anatomy Coloring Book. It's fun to color and allows me to refresh my knowledge on the subject.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
That is what I've heard too. But seeing that Anatomy and Physiology were one of my weaker prerequisites and I haven't taken the course in 3 years, I want to do a refresher on basic anatomy. So I ordered a copy of Netter's Anatomy Coloring Book. It's fun to color and allows me to refresh my knowledge on the subject.

Hope this helps!
That's exactly what I was thinking of ordering!

That's exactly what I was thinking of ordering!

I haven't used it yet (because I'm getting it as a birthday present) but I've read that it's helpful on Amazon. Other concerns that I've read is that various schools use different terminology that's not used in common textbooks. So I would use the terminology in the book with a grain of salt for now. But other than getting this book as a refresher, I would recommend just relaxing until then! There won't be much of that once school starts haha :laugh:

An anatomy COLORING BOOK??

oh boy, dont try to get yourself ahead.

2nd year PT student here, school's a marathon, and like any race, carboload! rest up and enjoy the time off :D

im not trying to discourage here, but you're better off being guided through school with anatomy. yes, the course is mainly recall, but this stuff will get drilled into you day in and day out.

That's amazing, and I had no idea this existed.
It's a fun little way to refresh on material at your own leisure

Use the search feature, this topic has been debated in depth many, many times.

Synopsis: You're welcome to pre-study if you want, but it literally will not affect your performance in PT school at all whatsoever.

I wish I had reviewed a little bit before school started. In the long run, it had zero impact on my grades, but it would have been less stressful for me - though no guarantees I would have even looked at what I struggled with, so there you go. I did have a longer gap than 3 years.

When you actually start, I think going over lecture material ahead of time is better than hoping you are studying the right material this summer.

Reactions: 2 users
So while waiting to start the DPT program, does anyone plan on doing some anatomy review beforehand?

I totally am! Mainly because i'm a huge nerd. I do have to say though I have taken some advanced anatomy courses that are very similar to PT school anatomy according to friends of mine who are in PT school so I shouldn't have to relearn too much, just add on. I am going over O/I, innervation, and vascular supply and these shouldn't magically change from school to school so I think it will be a good review for me. In addition I will be reviewing structural and functional classification of joints, and that jazz. Once I am finished with this stuff I may read a little bit regarding specific joints in my kines book just because it piques my interest. I'm only reviewing 1-2 hours a week during my free time so nothing too crazy, just little bits when I have nothing to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I was told by multiple sources to enjoy my time off so I see no objection to doing that. Because I read a lot anyway I have been spending my days reading health-care related books as well as books on how to improve memory. Both will prove to be useful when the time comes.

I was told by multiple sources to enjoy my time off so I see no objection to doing that. Because I read a lot anyway I have been spending my days reading health-care related books as well as books on how to improve memory. Both will prove to be useful when the time comes.
Can you suggest a book regarding health care? Memory I hear Moonwalking with Einstein is good.

Can you suggest a book regarding health care? Memory I hear Moonwalking with Einstein is good.
I'm currently reading "American Healthcare Paradox" by Elizabeth H. Bradley. I find it to be a good read. Also check out "Inside National health Reform" by John E. McDonough.

Reactions: 1 user
yes there are tons of videos about it as well, i was trying to find one that the discovery channel did, but couldn't find the particular one I watched.

I was told to actually study ahead of time. If you know the entire human body, muscle locations, origins, insertions, innervation etc that WILL give you a head start. You will have a much easier time during anatomy. My last final is Monday, I'm gonna follow my class syllabus and learn the human body before schools starts.

I was told to actually study ahead of time. If you know the entire human body, muscle locations, origins, insertions, innervation etc that WILL give you a head start. You will have a much easier time during anatomy. My last final is Monday, I'm gonna follow my class syllabus and learn the human body before schools starts.

Or you could not be a gunner and either have some fun or make some money or both before 3 years of studying like hell starts. Trust me, in the grand scheme of becoming a PT, memorizing random bits of anatomy before school starts will literally make no difference at all. Maybe it will make your first 10 weeks of school ever so slightly easier, but that is like 1 iota of all the crap you are gonna have to learn in PT school, and it probably won't be your hardest class anyway. A good third or more of what you memorize will be different than the way your anatomy professor wants you to learn it anyway, particularly when it comes to muscle attachments.

There really needs to be a giant sticky or better yet a big flashing banner at the top of the page telling people not to worry about this topic. Let your pre-PT neuroses subside people...you're in...it's all downhill from here, so to speak. ;)

Or you could not be a gunner and either have some fun or make some money or both before 3 years of studying like hell starts. Trust me, in the grand scheme of becoming a PT, memorizing random bits of anatomy before school starts will literally make no difference at all. Maybe it will make your first 10 weeks of school ever so slightly easier, but that is like 1 iota of all the crap you are gonna have to learn in PT school, and it probably won't be your hardest class anyway. A good third or more of what you memorize will be different than the way your anatomy professor wants you to learn it anyway, particularly when it comes to muscle attachments.

There really needs to be a giant sticky or better yet a big flashing banner at the top of the page telling people not to worry about this topic. Let your pre-PT neuroses subside people...you're in...it's all downhill from here, so to speak. ;)

I see what you mean and actually we have anatomy summer 2. So it will really only help for the 1st 4-6 weeks haha. I am using the guide current students gave me so 2-3 hours a day for three whole months is not too much. Not having to really learn location a,o,i,n, during the class will allow more time to study other things. I truly am not worried about neuro (was a neuromajor). The other classes are primarily understanding lecture notes 90% of test and supplement with the book, and faculty. Anatomy is not structured like patho and other classes so that's why I'll study ahead of time.