Waitlist Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BlandieeBlakee

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought I would start a new thread for dental school applicants who have been waitlisted for the 2018-2019 application cycle. I saw some waitlist groups for earlier years, and I thought it might be helpful to have some mutual support in a time of stress. It doesn't matter if you've been waitlisted once or 9 times, if you have no acceptances right now or are waiting for your dream school, please feel free to comment & share advice.

Here's hoping to a lot of movement this year, and good luck to all of you!

I am currently waitlisted at four schools
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why don’t you start sending letter of intent (interest). Describe why that school is your number one and how you are also the best fit for them. Best of luck!
 
Why don’t you start sending letter of intent (interest). Describe why that school is your number one and how you are also the best fit for them. Best of luck!
I've done this to the admissions counselors, they know I really want to attend their school. Do you think I should send one to the Dean? I'm completely out of ideas of what I can do
 
I advise you to change your outfits. After my first interview, I deemed my suit as a jinx and bought something else.
So, yeah, try to purchase something that makes you stand out!

Also, change your hairstyle and look!
The only thing I've changed is my facial hair. I've done three interviews clean shaven (by force), and one with a nicely trimmed, full beard. I'm keeping the beard for sure. I feel more confident with one, and it's going to be freezing in Chicago so I can use the extra insulation. I think it's time to ditch the basic black suit!
 
Haha ayyy making movesss. I’m currently waitlisted at five schools and awaiting decisions for two.
The only thing I've changed is my facial hair. I've done three interviews clean shaven (by force), and one with a nicely trimmed, full beard. I'm keeping the beard for sure. I feel more confident with one, and it's going to be freezing in Chicago so I can use the extra insulation. I think it's time to ditch the basic black suit!
 
Wait listed at Michigan and UDM. Interviewed for both schools early in the cycle, then got no interviews at all going forward. I heard when schools recruit from the wait list, they find an OOS replacement when they lose an OOS student from the class, and they find an IS replacement when they lose an IS student from the class. As a MI resident, this gives me very little hope for Michigan, as I wouldn't expect anybody IS to choose elsewhere if Michigan is an option for them.
 
Anyone hear any positive news yet? It does not seem that waitlists are even moving... hopefully after the March 15th date...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys I've been lurking on this thread for a bit, but I just got in off the waitlist! I thought it was a nice way of saying no, but I guess after the deposit deadlines, a spot opened up!

Congrats! What school did you end up getting into if you don't mind me asking?
 
Holy crap, that's awesome. Congrats! I'm sure it took you by surprise after waiting that long. Did you send updates regularly?
I sent an update a few days after getting waitlisted that I was taking anatomy (one of their pre-reqs) and what I was up to. Then I responded to a couple emails asking if I wanted to remain on the waitlist still.
 
Since March 1 was when individuals needed to only have one deposit down, most schools would then give 15 days to choose one way or the other.
I thought the deadline to have only a single deposit was on April 1st. Is it March 1st this cycle?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey! I was lucky enough to get into my favorite school that I interviewed at pre-december. So I decided to get a job (retail lols) to make some money before dental school starts in the fall and had to stop volunteering. Then in February, I got the opportunity to interview at my dream school, but got waitlisted 😢. Since I can’t update the school on any hours, do you think it would be a bad idea to update them about my retail job? Like how the experiences I’ve had could help me as a dentist (probs a reach LOL). Any advice would help!
 
So nothing yet from me, do you guys think schools are going to wait until the original selection date of April 1st before moving waitlists? There have been like no waitlist movements at any of my waitlisted schools