Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mimi45

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering if anyone else is in the "waitlist boat." I was waitlisted at my first choice of Sullivan in Louisville and they told me there really wasn't any chance of me getting in this year...(really like the area, program, wanted to only go there, spent a year and a half getting my gpa up and taking the pcat specifically for this school). I was 100% sure I was going to get in there and didn't apply anywhere else (bad decision I realize). After a few months of depression, I decided to apply to other places. I interviewed at LECOM Bradenton and was waitlisted there and I have 1 more interview at Belmont, which I'm nervous about because of the high volume of interviews. It seems like everyone on here has been accepted at least somewhere and I have no idea what I'm going to do if I don't get accepted. I have been out of college for 2 years this May and I do not want to wait another year. My undergrad grades are low- 2.91 around 2.75 science. I have a b.s. in chemistry and was completely burnt out by my senior year. Post-grad my gpa is 3.89 and I have a 64% PCAT. I am completely dedicated to pharmacy and feel that I was not into my undergrad program (no involvement with anything really) and believe that a pharmacy program would give me a second chance to be the student that I should have been to begin with..I just have to get accepted first!!!!

I am just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what eventually happened with their situation.

Members don't see this ad.

I probably shouldn't be responding considering I haven't even been accepted into pharmacy school...yet, but you sound miserable that I had to respond with a bit of a pep talk.

Although you have been 'waitlisted,' don't give up the thought that you still may get in. You never know if students will decline their acceptance, for whatever reason, at the last minute. The schools saw some potential in you so they didn't flat out decline your application. At the same time, don't be too optimistic.

The reason why it seems that so many people on this forum have been accepted is because when the are, they are very thrilled to post. Those that aren't accepted are too depressed and won't.

I was placed on the alternate's list without even being invited for an interview to the one and only school I applied to the last application cycle. It's the only school I will apply to for now. However, that gave me some hope. When I got the official, 'you have not been accepted' letter, I wallowed in self-pity for the night, started thinking about how to improve and got right back into it improving PCAT scores and getting experience because I want to become a pharmacist. The admissions people and others told me the best thing to do was to improve. This year, I've been invited for an interview. If I don't get into that school this year, I'll apply again.

You write, "I am completely dedicated to pharmacy." If so, and if you get that decline letter, don't wallow for a few months. Improve your grades and PCAT if that will make you more competitive. Get more experience and learn about the field. I was in your similar shoes and I know that it means more time, money and effort but if you want to be a pharmacist, isn't it worth it? No one on this forum can really help you (except give you a bit of encouragement) so find the strength and do it yourself. Be resilient and persevere!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wondered what happened to my post..LOL Well, TSI that's the thing I graduated in 2008 and I have been spending all my time and $$$$ raising my gpa, taking the PCAT, and trying to stay in pharmacies. OK I do see your point about everyone seems to be accepted is because they want to tell everyone. BUT I don't know what will happen if I don't get back into full time school this August!!! I just can't wait another year!!! This is crazy but I truly believe that I should be rolling through pharmacy school right now getting closer and closer to my professional life...maybe specializing..working with a healthcare team and making a difference in the pharmaceutical industry..NOT retaking classes and volunteering in a place where no one even knows my name. Crazy, yes

Hi mimi45,

I would recommend that you keep in touch with the admissions offices frequently and let them know you are still interested in their programs. If you have 'improved' in any way since your last conversation with them, be sure to let them know. One of my OChem classmates during the last admin cycle kept calling the school of his choice until they finally decided to accept him. You never know, your constant determination may push you over the others in the end. Good luck and, please, let me know how it all goes because I'm really curious! I may end up in a similar situation too. (You can PM me!)

I wondered what happened to my post..LOL Well, TSI that's the thing I graduated in 2008 and I have been spending all my time and $$$$ raising my gpa, taking the PCAT, and trying to stay in pharmacies. OK I do see your point about everyone seems to be accepted is because they want to tell everyone. BUT I don't know what will happen if I don't get back into full time school this August!!! I just can't wait another year!!! This is crazy but I truly believe that I should be rolling through pharmacy school right now getting closer and closer to my professional life...maybe specializing..working with a healthcare team and making a difference in the pharmaceutical industry..NOT retaking classes and volunteering in a place where no one even knows my name. Crazy, yes

Last edited:
Wow, that's awesome about your classmate...frequent? probably not. But I will let you know what happens...Good luck to you!

You post reminds me of this song... Jordin Sparks - one step at a time.

Have you ever heard it?

unfortunately, i have heard that song and thank you for comparing my getting into pharmacy school issues to "falling in love"...LOL

I empathize to those who are still waiting and those who are rejected. I feel the tension and the anxiety when thinking of what is there to do besides going to pharmacy school. The time that is lost, to me at least, is a big waste because we're not being productive to society, family, and ourselves. But with a word of encouragement, patience will achieve great success. Use this year to embellish your stats, help familiarize more with the profession of choice, and develop greater knowledge of the science field.

Mimi, don't lose hope and don't give up! Just get ready for the next round. I"m sure this time, you will get in!

thanks fuji! i am still hopeful for this year!! :xf: otherwise, yes I will keep working hard and it'll all work out..eventually

I only applied to one school this season (this past season I guess) for a couple of reasons, but I am on the waitlist too and I feel like I'm stuck in limbo. I just read my school has added another interview day next week so I probably won't get my rank on the list for 2 or 3 more weeks. I have a house to sell, kids to transfer to new schools... it's slightly frustrating not to know where you might be in 3 months. I feel ya on that.

However, I already started "improving" my application for next year if I don't get to go this fall. I'm registered to take the PCAT again in June, I've been a tech for 5.5 years but I'm looking into job shadowing opportunities in other areas I've never worked in, and I'm going to try to get a special retail and sterile compounding certificate for my technician license. I've taken all the prereqs for a couple schools, but I'm going to keep taking a few more science classes. Yeah, I'm frustrated and bummed a little, but I'm not giving up and I'm trying very hard to look forward and not think about the waitlist or ranks or how far down they get off the waitlist every year blah blah etc etc.

Keep your head up! :) You are not the only person going through this. :)

:thumbup::)
I am just wondering if anyone else is in the "waitlist boat." I was waitlisted at my first choice of Sullivan in Louisville and they told me there really wasn't any chance of me getting in this year...(really like the area, program, wanted to only go there, spent a year and a half getting my gpa up and taking the pcat specifically for this school). I was 100% sure I was going to get in there and didn't apply anywhere else (bad decision I realize). After a few months of depression, I decided to apply to other places. I interviewed at LECOM Bradenton and was waitlisted there and I have 1 more interview at Belmont, which I'm nervous about because of the high volume of interviews. It seems like everyone on here has been accepted at least somewhere and I have no idea what I'm going to do if I don't get accepted. I have been out of college for 2 years this May and I do not want to wait another year. My undergrad grades are low- 2.91 around 2.75 science. I have a b.s. in chemistry and was completely burnt out by my senior year. Post-grad my gpa is 3.89 and I have a 64% PCAT. I am completely dedicated to pharmacy and feel that I was not into my undergrad program (no involvement with anything really) and believe that a pharmacy program would give me a second chance to be the student that I should have been to begin with..I just have to get accepted first!!!!

I am just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what eventually happened with their situation.

I really understand your situation as I was in the same boat about a month ago.......but I applied to a lot of schools as it gives you more chances to enter in a program........I got waitlisted by some schools and was sic of this word but finally heard the good news:) I hope the same for you........don't loose hope as you still have the chance till the week before start of the classes:thumbup::thumbup:Good Luck:thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all of the positive feedback!!!

I will update with what happens this summer! :)

I feel your pain. This is my second year applying. Last year I got all rejection letters, and this year, I got one waitlist letter after an interview. While I am fully aware that my stats aren't the best, I feel like I have the drive and the passion for pharmacy. I JUST NEED TO GET IN! I spent my first 2 years of college not taking it very seriously, and am still paying for it dearly.
This school that waitlisted me is my only option this year, and I'm not sure how I should go about approaching them to find out my status (I got my waitlist notice in November). It's scary, but you're not alone! Don't worry!

I feel your pain. This is my second year applying. Last year I got all rejection letters, and this year, I got one waitlist letter after an interview. While I am fully aware that my stats aren't the best, I feel like I have the drive and the passion for pharmacy. I JUST NEED TO GET IN! I spent my first 2 years of college not taking it very seriously, and am still paying for it dearly.
This school that waitlisted me is my only option this year, and I'm not sure how I should go about approaching them to find out my status (I got my waitlist notice in November). It's scary, but you're not alone! Don't worry!

Hmmm... that sucks. I would just send them an e-mail just inquiring about your current position on the alternate list. I don't think it's a big deal..I have heard that some waitlisted people have e-mailed the schools every week since they received the waitlist status..lol

Good luck!

I've been keeping up with this thread because I may be in a similar situation too. I should know within the next week and a half. One person told me that he was sent the waitlist letter dated 4/6 and received it 4/13. Although the letter said the adcom would not review waitlist apps again until May, this week they pulled him off the list and accepted him. You never know so keep your chin up! I'd also recommend keeping in touch with the admissions office too! Good luck!

I didn't get accepted this year. If that makes all you waitlisted applicants feel any better.

From what I have heard, if you are on the waitlist, make sure the school knows that you are interested and you will definately attend if given the opportunity. Let them know that they are your first choice. Send them a written letter. E-mail, call. It wouldn't hurt. Its not like if you show too much interest, they take you off the waitlist and throw your name away.

you just need to be motivated and stay positive like everyone else is suggesting. Try and improve your PCAT score if you feel like nothing else can be done about your GPA. If you're good in both areas all is well. If you're bad at one then you need to excel in another. If they accept anyone with poor grades and low scores and the adcom cares about stats to publish, it will drag both categories down. But if you have the best grades you can take a hit on the PCAT. If you feel you can't do either, then volunteer and get some good experiences on your CV/resume. just volunteering isn't enough, do something substantive that shows that you're driven to succeed in pharmacy. if you're burned out, as you state you are, pharmacy school this year might not be the best idea. it isn't any easier, most likely its harder than school as you've experienced up to this point.

if you're burned out, as you state you are, pharmacy school this year might not be the best idea. it isn't any easier, most likely its harder than school as you've experienced up to this point.

I think you have this confused... I was meaning that I was burnt out in undergrad i.e. 3 years ago

Hi. I was accepted into a program this year and just wanted to let any of you in Mimi's position know that it is possible. When that denial letter came last year, I dedicated a year to keep improving my application, sending updates into the adcom office as much as possible after submitting an early application, and focusing even more on pharmacy.

But, not only that, since I didn't get into school last year, I found myself with a lot of time on my hands. I then also decided to do something for myself. I've always wanted to run a marathon so all of the sudden, I had that time to run and train. After one marathon this past October, which was nothing but a positive experience, I declared myself a 'runner' and ran a second marathon in February (it was a strange, Forrest Gump-y kind of year for me). Years ago, I never thought I'd ever get through one but I did it. So, in the end, if you don't get into pharmacy school this year, improve but at the same time, know it's not the end of the world. It's only time and, of course, money too, but don't wallow too long. Don't forget to enjoy life!

So, I was accepted @ Belmont!

Love the city, love the program...

Perfect for me!!! :D

Good luck to everyone still waiting....

Thanks!!!

I just thought I'd share my update for anyone who read this thread before