waitlisted for MSTP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trisana

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're waitlisted for an MSTP do they still consider you for straight MD? Most schools say they'll consider you for the MD program if you're not accepted to the MSTP and I was just wondering how the admissions process worked in the case of being waitlisted.

Members don't see this ad.

Trisana said:
If you're waitlisted for an MSTP do they still consider you for straight MD? Most schools say they'll consider you for the MD program if you're not accepted to the MSTP and I was just wondering how the admissions process worked in the case of being waitlisted.

some do, some don't. Most do, but you're at a disadvantage after being rejected/waitlisted by MSTP. For example, after UCLA waitlisted me for MSTP they wouldn't even consider my app for MD-only at all, whereas people who were rejected WERE considered.

Just thought I should add: Some schools will let you have your applicatioin default into the PHD program application process instead of the MD program if you are rejected from the MD/PHD.

I wasn't aware of this until recently. In some cases its on the application (Einstein has you check it off on the secondary) while in other cases its not mentioned because they assume you want to go to the MD pile unless you indicate otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just thought I should add: Some schools will let you have your applicatioin default into the PHD program application process instead of the MD program if you are rejected from the MD/PHD.

would you need to have taken GREs?

anyone know which schools allow you to do this?