• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Waitlisted Limbo Thread

coldchemist

Biowulf
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2003
UAB
hrem.nci.nih.gov
  1. MD/PhD Student
    In recent discussions with MD/PhD program administrators, I have found that there is usually a distinction between placement in a "hold" category and placement on a waitlist.

My question is, if we are going to have a waitlist thread will it contain holds and waitlists, or waitlists only?

About the Ads

Neuronix

Total nerd
    Staff member
    Administrator
    Volunteer Staff
    Verified Expert
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 14, 2002
    the beach
    1. Attending Physician
      Originally posted by strangeattractor
      here's a question. i simply want a place to go next year. very low standards, i know. i'm waitlisted at an mstp program; does this necessarily mean i'm in for the md?

There's no guarantee and your odds at gaining an MD acceptance totally depends on the school. I would call the school and ask what the normal procedure is there and if there's anything you can do to make the MD program know you're serious about attending the MD program.

neurotiger

10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Jun 1, 2003
      Chicago
      1. Fellow [Any Field]
        Did people on the Penn waitlist get "tier 1" or something else, and how much does this mean? Just wondering how many people from the waitlist have a shot, what the timing is probably going to be like, and any other details that may be helpful...

ManchotPi

10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Nov 13, 2003
          Originally posted by neurotiger
          Did people on the Penn waitlist get "tier 1" or something else, and how much does this mean? Just wondering how many people from the waitlist have a shot, what the timing is probably going to be like, and any other details that may be helpful...

Last edited:

Habari

10+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Feb 20, 2003
            if you're waitlisted tier 1 at penn - you have a very good shot if you are serious about attendign and strongly express that to them. most of their movement happens in may or so. penn ends up accepting ~40-50% of the 100 or so interviewees. just call/email/send in the letters if you definately want to go.

Neuronix

Total nerd
            Staff member
            Administrator
            Volunteer Staff
            Verified Expert
            15+ Year Member
            Mar 14, 2002
            the beach
            1. Attending Physician
              Habari and Manchot are right on about all that info. MD waitlist movement is similar to MD/PhD movement except I would say it doesn't matter as much to the MDs about LOIs and they start taking people off the waitlist earlier than the MD/PhD program.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I've been on spring break this past week so I apologize for not being around.

Good luck!

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.