Waitlisted Twice at the Same School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredr.n

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a reapplicant this year. Was on several waitlists last year. This year I re-interviewed at my top choice and was placed on the waitlist again. How common is this? When do people come off the waitlist? Is it after all interviews are over?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
It depends on the school. Most waitlists will see some movement. If it doesn't work out, maybe the third time will be the charm. Continue to build your application if you have no acceptances.

I am a reapplicant this year. Was on several waitlists last year. This year I re-interviewed at my top choice and was placed on the waitlist again. How common is this? When do people come off the waitlist? Is it after all interviews are over?
I have no idea how common that is, but WL movement typically occurs when people start turning down As, depending on the school and on how many more As the school as compared to how many seats they have. As a result, while movement can occur at any time, the peak for WL movement is in April and May every year. Good luck!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's unfortunate but not unheard of. The good news is if you are on the wait list they like you enough to take you conditionally, so if this ain't the time next year everyone will know who you are. And to waitlist someone thrice, well that would be just rude in my opinion haha.

Keep the spirits up!

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

The largest movement of waitlists is after May. However, the degree of movement is 100% school specific.

You are rejected until you get that accept email in your Inbox, and be planning accordingly.

sorry to hear that. did your app improve substantially between the cycles?

sorry to hear that. did your app improve substantially between the cycles?
I thought it did. Last year when I asked for feedback it was focused on the fact that most of my experiences were in specific specialties and I had an interest in primary care. To improve, I continually shadowing with a primary care physician and also volunteered all summer with the school's local community.