waitlisted without any acceptances....is there any hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starmd

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted the same message on another discussion board, but I did not get the mature, helpful response I was expecting from our fellow pre-meds, future doctors. I hope this site will be more helpful.
I am currently on two waitlists, and I am expecting another waitlist soon enough. I have already sent them update letters stating my interest in attending the school. How often should I send them letters and what should I write in them since I already said that I would like to attend the school.
Also if it a good idea to call the ad office to ask about the status of my application? If any of you had similar experiences and you got off the waitlist, please share the story. Also what else can I do besides sending letter? Rec letters would be a good idea? Do you think it would help? Thanks for the input

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have done the right things. You should send new letters whenever there is something noteworth and new that they might not have known about (get great grades in last quarter - send transript too, new research project, started a new club at your school, participated in a great volunteer activity, shadowed another doctor). I dont think that letters of rec would do much good at this point. BUT, if that person is writing on one of the above mentioned activities, then sure.

I think that you are doing the right thing. I was waitlisted and didn't get in until June (despite the fact that I was one of the first to interview). It wouldn't hurt to make a friend in the admissions office who can help you with some guidelines and updates on your status. I called a few times and followed my progress on the waitlist. Good luck,

Geo

Members don't see this ad :)
starmd,

Just remember, it ain't over till the fat lady sings.
smile.gif

I'd like to echo the two previous posts. I had a friend who was waitlisted at a very good school, and he sent them letters of interest once a month. He was later accepted in May. Calling is not a bad idea either, just don't annoy them.

But I'd also add that if, upon tracking the waitlist movement, things don't look good, get your next round of apps in early. I sincerely hope you get in this year, cuz I know what a pain in the ass this process is. Best of luck to you.

A lot of what you do is going to depend on the schools -- some definitely have a reputation for liking to see interest -- update letters, additional letters of rec, phone calls, etc. Others (notably Duke) discourage that. Try to glean the reputation of the different schools from either friends, premed advisors, the way the waitlist letter was written, or from the offices themselves (I think it's always best to be very polite and unassuming when you call the office -- they probably have no influence on you getting in, but it definitely doesn't hurt to have them helpful and on your side). From what I've heard, you can increase the freqeuncy of letters/phone calls starting in June -- maybe to every 2-3 weeks. Within the one month window to start date, I have heard of people calling/writing once a week. Not sure if this would be good or annoying -- use your good judgment.

Good luck!!!

If there isn't any hope for you then there isn't any hope for me and that's not good for either of us. I am currently on three waitlists and will probably soon be on three more with no acceptances. From what I hear, lots of people get in off waitlists so you and I can freak out for a few more months and then everything will most likely work out.