#WaitListedAndProud2016_A Post-April 30th Saga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

insaneinthemembrane27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To the proud and patient... my hat is off to you. The struggle has been real.

I just wanted to start a thread where all those students who have yet to get into med school could speak openly about the schools for which they are waiting, as we all aim to comfort each other in this strenuous time.

I don't know about all of you, but after this (nearly) one-year experience of waiting... interviewing... and waiting some more, I have reached the brink of exhaustion. My brain wonders places, as I ask myself questions such as: "what am I to do next year if I don't get into medical school? Should I be applying to jobs (again)? But, what if I wake up the morning of orientation at school X and they FINALLY accept me? Am I supposed to just get on a plane without a place to live and cross my fingers, hoping that some kind M1 will allow me to crash with her for a week until I find my own place? What if I don't have the energy to apply again? What if I have to take that damn MCAT again if some schools aren't accepting the old one?"

... Many such questions cycle again and again through my mind. Sometimes, I think to myself that perhaps being rejected up-right would have been better than being placed on a waitlist. Of course, I am thankful to the schools and hopeful that I will get off this strenuous ride sometime soon... but, the steam of he** rings hot on my bottom here in purgatory.

Why can't we JUST KNOW?

Anyway, I thought that this would be a good place to start talking. It seems like the individual school threads have began attracting conversation about financial aid packages and when white coat ceremonies are. While that is all good and well, I personally don't want to hear the complaints of some students saying "Harvard didn't match the package Hopkins gave me, #mylifeisruined." I just want to talk about getting into medical school... and how my efforts and experience validate my competence as a future physician.

So, to all those who agree, let us start this (almost) post-April 30th experience.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 38 users
I can't tell you how much I need this thread to exist! I'm on at NYMC and Upstate with no acceptances, it's been five months since I interviewed and there's no end in sight.

We will find out eventually, and until then I guess it's drift along and enjoy what we have in the here and now.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't tell you how much I need this thread to exist! I'm on at NYMC and Upstate with no acceptances, it's been five months since I interviewed and there's no end in sight.

We will find out eventually, and until then I guess it's drift along and enjoy what we have in the here and now.

I think if we all put our heads together here, we can figure out the best ways to send continued letters of interest to the schools we are waiting on, figure out how many waitlist spots are open, etc. 21rush12, what is your #1 school? When is the last time you spoke to them? Let's make this happen for you this year!!

Head up-- I like to think of this time as one that provides us the training wheels to becoming the best physicians. They don't call those people we want to save "patients" for nothing ;)

Reactions: 1 user
I am on the waitlist at Buffalo, Upstate (HPA), Rochester, and Eastern Virginia (middle third)

Reactions: 3 users
I am on the waitlist at Buffalo, Upstate (HPA), Rochester, and Eastern Virginia (middle third)

Did you get accepted to any schools as of yet or do you prefer your waitlisted schools?

This is a nice list :)! Where's your number one?

Is this the same Cooper as the undergraduate engineering school??

That is awesome!

Do you know how large their WL usually is? If there has been movement yet?
I don't think so..its part of Rowan university in NJ. Its a pretty new school. I'm really not sure off too many specifics on the WL.. The Cooper thread on SDN is sooo quiet so it's really hard to gauge movement. A family member of mine wasn't admitted off the WL a few years ago but I know someone from high school who got in off the WL. Who knows lol it's my top choice though so I'm really hoping for the best (like I'm sure the rest of you guys are too :) )

Holding on one waitlist for Wright State. I will say I agree with you entirely. This process has been exhausting. I think the toughest thing is not being able to make a plan - either for reapplying or for getting ready for med school. We're kinda just in a limbo - and who knows when you might hear. I knew a girl who got a call from Pittsburgh literally the day before she started at another school halfway across the country.
When I first finished the MCAT I was so exhausted I told myself I would never take that again. If I have to reapply, I'd definitely take a whole year to retake the MCAT and bump some ECs before sending in apps again.
Just from what I've seen (not on SDN) with my friends and people I know through school - this cycle has been very competitive. I know a lot of ppl with great stats and ECs not even get one interview.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think so..its part of Rowan university in NJ. Its a pretty new school. I'm really not sure off too many specifics on the WL.. The Cooper thread on SDN is sooo quiet so it's really hard to gauge movement. A family member of mine wasn't admitted off the WL a few years ago but I know someone from high school who got in off the WL. Who knows lol it's my top choice though so I'm really hoping for the best (like I'm sure the rest of you guys are too :) )
Gotcha-- ok, well I am sure that movement will be good for you starting May. Send in any updates recently? I am sure you sent a letter of intent if it is your top choice. I advise (and this goes for everyone) that you all update the schools from now until April 29th with anything significant just to catch their attention. I know a friend who was waitlisted, sent in nothing until April 29th (first thing in the morning) and he caught the attention of the admissions committee and he got in the week later. So, it is possible!!

@insaneinthemembrane27 my first choice was Albany, which rejected me pre interview two years in a row now (even after I retook my MCAT and killed it like they said I should...not that I'm still mad at them or anything). I honestly like both Upstate and NYMC very much, and they have a lot to offer which differs between schools. Grading is better with P/F at upstate, and I really liked the community feel of NYMC. Great rural med exposure upstate which is a draw for me, but also the chance to work inner-city at NYMC has its own allure.

I know that upstate's HPA list is ranked, and I'm fairly sure that they know I am really interested in attending. NYMC is another story...does anyone know a little more about their WL?

Last edited:
@insaneinthemembrane27 my first choice was Albany, who rejected me pre interview two years in a row now (even after I retook my MCAT and killed it like they said I should...not that I'm still mad at them or anything). I honestly like both Upstate and NYMC very much, and they have a lot to offer which differs between schools. Grading is better with P/F at upstate, and I really liked the community feel of NYMC. Great rural med exposure upstate which is a draw for me, but also the chance to work inner-city at NYMC has its own allure.

I know that upstate's HPA list is ranked, and I'm fairly sure that they know I am really interested in attending. NYMC is another story...does anyone know a little more about their WL?

when did you interview at upstate? they said they will tell you your position mid may but idk whether or not their list will move before then. also 2112 is a great album btw

@Richard_Rooster Finally, someone who understands my username!

I interviewed early December, HPA since like the first week of January. I'm not sure about the list either, I can't imagine it would move since they interview pretty late into April if I'm not mistaken? Either way, I'm hoping they have good movement this year. I'll be calling for sure, I've been trying to decide when the middle of May is and how long I have to wait before I hear anything. When was your interview?

Ahh I am so glad this thread was made! I really hope we all get good news in the next few weeks to come!

As for me, I have come to terms with the event of reapplying but the thing that kills me is that I took my MCAT in Dec 2014 so if I take a year off and reapply for the 2017-2018 cycle, there's the risk that my MCAT will expire since it was 2014 and there's a 3 year limit :( Not to mention that it'd be the new MCAT that I have to take UGH.

Anyhoo here's my list:
1. Temple/St. Luke's (definitely my top choice but the incoming class is only 30 people so chances of getting off the waitlist are really slim...)
2. Eastern Virginia (middle third of the waitlist)
3/4. UIC and SUNY Downstate (can't decide which I like better)

I sent two update letters combined with letters of interest but seeing that I have no acceptances, I'm not sure if they'll have any weight. (sent one in February and one in late March)

I sent some updates to my schools, but I am not sure what it does at this point :(. Are they even looking at my updates to begin with?

Process is very defeating at times.

Gotcha-- ok, well I am sure that movement will be good for you starting May. Send in any updates recently? I am sure you sent a letter of intent if it is your top choice. I advise (and this goes for everyone) that you all update the schools from now until April 29th with anything significant just to catch their attention. I know a friend who was waitlisted, sent in nothing until April 29th (first thing in the morning) and he caught the attention of the admissions committee and he got in the week later. So, it is possible!!
It's my only WL actually (no acceptances) but it's been my top choice for awhile now. I've sent a letter of intent and multiple updates, I might have something else to update them with but I won't be sure till later this week probably. Let's hope for good news for all of us!

I sent some updates to my schools, but I am not sure what it does at this point :(. Are they even looking at my updates to begin with?

Process is very defeating at times.
I think it depends on the school...One of my schools apparently keeps tabs on who still shows continued interest by sending updates/letters while another school told me that they'll only look at the letters if actively considering you to be pulled from the waitlist.

I think it depends on the school...One of my schools apparently keeps tabs on who still shows continued interest by sending updates/letters while another school told me that they'll only look at the letters if actively considering you to be pulled from the waitlist.
Yeah definitely agree it depends on the school. My WL school said they want to reach out to people who have that school as their top choice but I'm sure that made everyone send in letters of intent lol. But hoping they take my updates/letters of intent/interest into account!

@insaneinthemembrane27 my first choice was Albany, which rejected me pre interview two years in a row now (even after I retook my MCAT and killed it like they said I should...not that I'm still mad at them or anything). I honestly like both Upstate and NYMC very much, and they have a lot to offer which differs between schools. Grading is better with P/F at upstate, and I really liked the community feel of NYMC. Great rural med exposure upstate which is a draw for me, but also the chance to work inner-city at NYMC has its own allure.

Last edited:
I hope it does, although I'm having a hard time believing in myself at this point. I don't think I interviewed poorly, but who knows. My GPA has not helped me one bit and I'd be surprised if it wasn't the major factor. Combine that with only completing secondaries to 6 schools and I only have myself to blame. Oh well, ride it out and see how things go I suppose.

@Richard_Rooster Finally, someone who understands my username!

I interviewed early December, HPA since like the first week of January. I'm not sure about the list either, I can't imagine it would move since they interview pretty late into April if I'm not mistaken? Either way, I'm hoping they have good movement this year. I'll be calling for sure, I've been trying to decide when the middle of May is and how long I have to wait before I hear anything. When was your interview?

i interviewed in september. i think both buffalo and upstate interviewed until late april. do you remeber when you submitted your secondary to upstate. i did pretty early but im not sure whether thats why they called me so early

I got accepted to Harvard, Stanford, Johns Hopkins, Mayo, and Duke (with only two full rides :mad:) but I'm on the waitlist at UCSF and Columbia! +pity+ This is honestly the most stressful time in my entire life. Really glad to have a place to vent.

Reactions: 35 users

Which one, EVMS here as well (Along with VCU and GWU)

Just from what I've seen (not on SDN) with my friends and people I know through school - this cycle has been very competitive. I know a lot of ppl with great stats and ECs not even get one interview.

I am really wondering how true this is myself, and if I just happened to pic a really unlucky year to apply. Anyone actually know this to be fact?

I'm on Rosalind Franklin's.

Not that my application is the greatest (clearly not), but I was bummed I didnt get an II to Rosy, I felt I was at least somewhat competitive there

Waitlisted at UCLA, WashU, UofM, and UChicago. Hoping to get into any of these schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Poor bananafish

Lik if u cri everyteim

In all seriousness:
I am waitlisted at Rush, Western Michigan, and Rosalind Franklin.
I am waiting to hear back from UIC.
I am sad.

Reactions: 16 users
Not that my application is the greatest (clearly not), but I was bummed I didnt get an II to Rosy, I felt I was at least somewhat competitive there
It's a private school in a major city with reasonable stats. Everybody and their sister applies there. At schools that get so many applications, there is necessarily a tremendous element of randomness.

I am really wondering how true this is myself, and if I just happened to pic a really unlucky year to apply. Anyone actually know this to be fact?
Some of the adcom members here might be able to speak to it. I would assume most schools either had the same number of applicants or saw an increase - a lot of schools have had an increase in # of apps for years now, as with GPA/MCAT. I'm just surprised that a 3.7/508 wouldn't at least get a couple more interviews at lower tier schools. Who the heck knows anymore.

I just want them to put me out of my misery, honestly. Everyday I wake up and think that it could be the day that my luck changes. And every night I go to bed even more discouraged than before. I'm so tired and I want it to end.

Reactions: 10 users
May is close. We're almost there, bud!
I just want them to put me out of my misery, honestly. Everyday I wake up and think that it could be the day that my luck changes. And every night I go to bed even more discouraged than before. I'm so tired and I want it to end.

Reactions: 10 users

You have to break the cycle, distract yourself and keep your focus on other things. I know it sounds like the same crap everyone says, but it's the only way to stay sane. Spend some time every day focused completely on something else...lift weights, take walks, get lost in a book...anything to give your mind a break. Instead of every morning, check once at dinner time every day and let it be off your mind.

I feel like almost every day someone asks me if I've either gotten off a waitlist or if I've figured out where I'm going yet.

Reactions: 17 users
@XxThaDoggxX When I called EVMS' office, they said they only look at letters if you're being actively considered from the waitlist. (since their waitlist is so big--490 comes to mind--they can't possibly read every letter so they just get added to your file and are possibly pulled up if need be).

Wait listed at FAU, USF, and FIU. No acceptances and I'm hoping for some action next week.

@XxThaDoggxX When I called EVMS' office, they said they only look at letters if you're being actively considered from the waitlist. (since their waitlist is so big--490 comes to mind--they can't possibly read every letter so they just get added to your file and are possibly pulled up if need be).
490 people on the waitlist??? That's insane!

Waitlisted at Maryland, Georgetown, Rochester, Temple, and Jeff with no acceptances. I would love love love to get in anywhere :(

Reactions: 2 users
Seeing this thread makes me super humble for my acceptance... I wish you all the best

Reactions: 5 users
I got accepted to Harvard, Stanford, Johns Hopkins, Mayo, and Duke (with only two full rides :mad:) but I'm on the waitlist at UCSF and Columbia! +pity+ This is honestly the most stressful time in my entire life. Really glad to have a place to vent.

But you got accepted to the top schools, so y are you complaining. o_O
Waitlisted at Maryland, Georgetown, Rochester, Temple, and Jeff with no acceptances. I would love love love to get in anywhere :(

Which one do you really want to go to? What is the ranking?

thank you for this thread. WL'd at cooper. please love me, waitlist gods

Hello everyone, right now I am on the waitlist at SLU and Stony Brook with no acceptances. They are very different schools and both would require a cross county move from the west coast for me. So I, like many of you, want news as soon as possible. I am starting to count my pennies and put a school list together for a reapplication. I am glad to be a part of this thread and I am looking forward to hearing some good news from you all in the coming weeks. Cheers!

Reactions: 2 users
Waitlisted at NYU and Northwestern (and I guess I withdrew an acceptance at Wayne).

It'll be fun to see how my American cycle will play out, even if I don't end up going to any schools that *long-shot* may accept me (unless an impossible full COA scholarship falls from the sky...).

Waitlisted at:
Albert Einstein (interviewed nov 23)
Morehouse (interviewed dec 4)
West Virginia (interviewed mid January)
Case western (interviewed early February)
Buffalo (interviewed April 6)