Waitlists and Deferment

Started by isleofman
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

isleofman

Dilettante and Louche
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, everyone. I need some advice: I'm a current MSTP applicant who has been accepted at some programs and waitlisted at 3 others. I have also been accepted to a year-long (research) grad program at the University of Cambridge, UK for next year. I am planning to defer matriculating MSTP for one year, until 2007 to follow this program.

Would informing the schools I've been waitlisted at of my plans to defer help or hurt my chances of being admitted off the waitlist? Should I do so now or just wait and see if I'm offered a position?

Is it considered bad form (or even allowable) to accept a waitlisted spot and then turn around and say, "see you in '07" ???

I haven't broached the subject to places I've been accepted, either, mainly because I've yet to decide between them, but also because I personally feel dreadful about proposing to defer at MSTP "A" while secretly hoping to get off the WL at MSTP "B" -- sort of like a double-whammy to the nice folks at "A".

Are there any other applicants who are considering deferring or Old Guard Mudphuds who've done so?

Thank you!!
 
isleofman said:
Hi, everyone. I need some advice: I'm a current MSTP applicant who has been accepted at some programs and waitlisted at 3 others. I have also been accepted to a year-long (research) grad program at the University of Cambridge, UK for next year. I am planning to defer matriculating MSTP for one year, until 2007 to follow this program.

Would informing the schools I've been waitlisted at of my plans to defer help or hurt my chances of being admitted off the waitlist? Should I do so now or just wait and see if I'm offered a position?

Is it considered bad form (or even allowable) to accept a waitlisted spot and then turn around and say, "see you in '07" ???

I haven't broached the subject to places I've been accepted, either, mainly because I've yet to decide between them, but also because I personally feel dreadful about proposing to defer at MSTP "A" while secretly hoping to get off the WL at MSTP "B" -- sort of like a double-whammy to the nice folks at "A".

Are there any other applicants who are considering deferring or Old Guard Mudphuds who've done so?

Thank you!!

Waitlist spots are specifically for spots they need to fill this year. I've never heard of someone successfully defering a waitlist-acceptance.
 
I think that if you are waitlisted, there is no way you can defer. Perhaps its possible, but I would think it isn't.

It is not in your interest to tell them before they can accept, as they most assuredly will NOT accept you off the waitlist if you do.

There is nothing unethical in this. If they don't want to let you defer, they can do that for any applicant, not just a waitlisted-accepted applicant.

Finally, why do you want to take off to do the Cambridge thing? I wouldn't think their facilities are superior to those in the US. Also, MD/PhD is 8 years, is it really worth sinking in another year towards research that may not be towards the PhD and that may not be of much use in your career, anyway?

You can always try to establish collaborations in Europe with the help of a US mentor. That way the research would also be towards your PhD.