Waitlists and housing/jobs/moving

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiesVanDerMom

D.o. or Die
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else thought about this: My first choice school is here in my home city. If i get into another school and get waitlisted at Home school, i have a problem. I will need to arrange to move my family and my husband will need to look for a job at a new architecture firm in the new city. But this waitlist crap might mean you get accpepted very late in the summer. See what I'm saying? These trads can just pick up and go, but I can't. Anyone else figured this whole thing out? I really need some time to possibly sell my house, etc etc etc. How to deal? I'd gladly defer a year if the school allows (my kids are small so i wouldnt mind an extra year at home) but I dont know if you need a really great reason to defer....

Members don't see this ad.

MiesVanDerMom said:
Anyone else thought about this: My first choice school is here in my home city. If i get into another school and get waitlisted at Home school, i have a problem. I will need to arrange to move my family and my husband will need to look for a job at a new architecture firm in the new city. But this waitlist crap might mean you get accpepted very late in the summer. See what I'm saying? These trads can just pick up and go, but I can't. Anyone else figured this whole thing out? I really need some time to possibly sell my house, etc etc etc. How to deal? I'd gladly defer a year if the school allows (my kids are small so i wouldnt mind an extra year at home) but I dont know if you need a really great reason to defer....
I was in a similar situation when I started medical school. I also know of a few people who got accepted from a wait list at the last minute. Unfortunately, I doubt a school will let you defer if they select you at the last minute from their wait list.

What you might want to do is look for housing and job possibilities for your husband at any school that puts you on their wait list. This way, at least you'll have some of the initial gound work taken care of.

If you are selected at the last minute, you might want to consider moving alone, without your spouse of children. They can move up later in the year after your spouse finds permanent housing and employment.

I was just in a similiar situation and was fortunate to get off the waitlist at a school in my home town. I thought about how to deal with that moving problem etc. The best solution I came up with for my family was to try for admittance next year at the home town school, and work on my application credentials during that year to increase my chances of staying at home. My husband has had the same job for 15 years and my kids love their school, so I decided not getting in was another year to spend time at home before the hard work hits. I decided that waiting and applying again was better than uprooting to a strange place. And if I didn't get in then...........well it was time to pack up and go. You didn't state how long you have been applying so maybe you have done this already. I'm 36 and have always worried about waiting due to my age, but I figure what is another year when I'm 36 already? Good luck to you. I understand that it is a whole different boat when you are part of a family.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with cindy. Based on this short of information, it may be better to just decide to wait a year. The uncertainty can be difficult on a family, if your not in a rush, then maybe just wait. Apply early, smooze some schools and wait for better timing.

I haven't applied yet. I will be applying next June of 2006. I'm a little confused as to what you are suggesting. Are you saying I should apply only to my home school in 2006 and then if I don't get in, apply to other schools as well in 2007? :confused: Thanks...

MiesVanDerMom said:
I haven't applied yet. I will be applying next June of 2006. I'm a little confused as to what you are suggesting. Are you saying I should apply only to my home school in 2006 and then if I don't get in, apply to other schools as well in 2007? :confused: Thanks...

I'm suggesting that you focus on your home school for this cycle. I applied to very few schools the first round, and was lucky to have 2 medical schools in my home town (Omaha). I applied to the few places (like 5) out of state that my family would be happy living. I figured why spend all my money when in the long run I would probably wait a year anyway and try and get in at home before I would move my family to just anywhere for my school. I was fortunate to get in off the waitlist at Creighton this summer. But I was gearing up for 2006, and still planning to try and stay at home. If I didn't get in then, it was time to pull out all the stops, DO and MD anywhere that would take me.

I'm only saying what worked for me. I felt that it was worth the wait not to uproot my family, but my husband and I both knew that it might come down to that. So we just hoped for the best, and it all worked out. You have to decide if you are willing to wait. It was hard not to be totally gung ho, and know that I might not get there for a few years. But I've been happily married for 11 years, and I knew that trying to stay in town would be alot less stress on all of us. I don't know what is right for you, but this worked for me. I feel for you, because it is so much harder when you have a family. This decision affects more than just one person, and it is hard to know what is the best decision. I just figured I would enjoy my kids and they would be older when I finally got there which would be easier on them I think. Good Luck to you. Sorry to be long winded, but I hope this clarifies what I was trying to say. :)

MiesVanDerMom,
One question: does your first choice school offer Early Decision? It's too late for this year, but if you're applying next year you may want to consider that, depending on how strong your application is. Maybe you can ask to meet someone from admissions at that school and discuss what your chances are and if ED would be a good option for you.

The thing with Early Decision is that it somewhat increases your chances at that one school and you have a decision by October 1, which would be great in your situation. BUT if you are not accepted, then you find yourself applying late to other schools, which is obviously a disadvantage. So if your heart is set on one school and you think you have fair chances at that school, go for ED!

That's what I'm doing this year. I'm in a similar situation: married, hubby has a good job here, baby due very very soon... It would be a hassle to move, especially if I get accepted somewhere at the very last minute. I hope Early Decision works out! That may be your best bet too... Hope this helps!

Baby Einstein said:
MiesVanDerMom,
One question: does your first choice school offer Early Decision? It's too late for this year, but if you're applying next year you may want to consider that, depending on how strong your application is. Maybe you can ask to meet someone from admissions at that school and discuss what your chances are and if ED would be a good option for you.

The thing with Early Decision is that it somewhat increases your chances at that one school and you have a decision by October 1, which would be great in your situation. BUT if you are not accepted, then you find yourself applying late to other schools, which is obviously a disadvantage. So if your heart is set on one school and you think you have fair chances at that school, go for ED!

That's what I'm doing this year. I'm in a similar situation: married, hubby has a good job here, baby due very very soon... It would be a hassle to move, especially if I get accepted somewhere at the very last minute. I hope Early Decision works out! That may be your best bet too... Hope this helps!

Hi there,
In order to apply Early Decision, you have to be a very strong candidate for that particular school. If you are not in the very strong candidate range (more than exceed the average MCAT and GPA) do not use the Early Decision option.

If you are accepted off the wait list late, you can opt for a deferrment which means that you enter the next year. Again, it is not the best option but at least you have a year to prepare for entry. In todays climate, unless you are a very strong candidate for a particular school, it is advisable to have everything prepared for a move. If this is not possible, try to apply to a city that has multiple medical schools like Chicago, DC etc. so that your SO can at least begin job searching earlier.

Good luck!
njbmd :)

Hi,

I'm not as bad. My boyfriend started his residency in Mass and I am finishing grad school in New Orleans and own a home here. My backup is to stay in New Orleans one more year at Tulane or LSU then transfer.

I do know people in sort of your situation (potential situation) who worked it out.

I would strongly disagree with the others that said only apply to your home school the first year, then apply again? That's a waist of time and money.

I would also lean against early decision unless your above average numbers across the board..and non-traditional students usually aren't.

Apply all over the place, use your own judgement.

If and when you get an interview, tell them why you REALLY NEED TO GO TO THE HOME SCHOOL...the people who interview you are generally professors PhDs and MDs with kids and spouses. It may even help you get an acceptance over a wait-list. They'll also know you want to go to THEIR school ans not just any med school.

I know 2 applicants (now both doctors) who did get waitlisted here in New ORleans and got accepted somewhere else. They didn't want to leave (not a kid or spouse thing just wanted to stay) so they pleaded their case to the admissions people....listen here's where I got in but I want to go here....it worked for all the people I know who tried it. Once it was Yale vs. Tulane, the other it was some other school and LSU (cheaper and closer to family for that friend).

For me, it might even be easier to go to Tulane for a year then transfer and hopefully I'll be engaged by then....I know a half-dozen people who got a transfer based on an engagement and not necessary an engagement to another med student;-)

You're married.

I say keep all this in mind and just see what happens. I think you'll be surprised and your ability to negotiate a stay in your city than you think. Once you're in School A, School B will think your good enough too.

Once you get in though, then you'll have something to work with.

Good Luck!

-s

Thanks everyone. My hometown school is U of Pittsburgh. They've discontinued their Early Decision program so thats no luck for me. The stats there are pretty high anyway. It's encouraging to hear other people have had luck getting in with their pleas of needing to stay local. My plan is to apply to about a dozen schools and if I get waitlisted at Pitt, I will have to call them and tell them my situation and hope for the best. Guess we're just gonna play it by ear. I still live with the fear I won't get in ANYWHERE, so I guess I'll look at this as a good problem if I have it. My son's eating the keyboard so i gotta run but thanks everyon!dhvsjdnvn