Waive my right to see LORs for Cards fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thinktank

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a R3, applying for cards fellowship this year. I was asked to stay as chief so I did not apply last year. Should I waive or not waive my right to see the LORs? I am in a large residency program with many internal candidates (I think up to 15 residents in the R3 and R2 classes are applying for cards this year).
I really really want to stay in my program...what can I say...I heart my program!!
I was told that I am a very strong candidate since I will be one of the chiefs, etc... However, I do really need to make sure that my letters would be impressive (not just lukewarm).

I remember when I applied for residency, my letter writers/coordinators practically gave me copies of the original letters and even mailed them personally to the program directors in addition to dean's office,etc.

Any takes on this? opinion from a ProgDirector or ProgCoordinator?

Thank you much!

Members don't see this ad.

You'll get in somewhere, being a chief resident and all. Your home program will probably take you because you are the chief.
I think you need to waive your right to see the LOR's - it's pretty much expected.
LOR's aren't the only determining factor of who gets in. I think they are mostly all positive. Get ones from more powerful people or those who know folks at other hospitals/programs - then you will get in.