Waiving LORs for off-cycle (non-ERAS/NRMP) applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorNotAnEscalator

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seeking recommendations re: submitting "waived/unseen" LORs for off-cycle positions through non-traditional avenues (e.g. not ERAS/NRMP).

Advertising vacancies do not note this requirement + ResidentSwap et al do not offer concrete suggestions/means for this...
Would love to hear your success stories + creative solutions that go beyond LOR writers/references directly emailing PDs or downloading my (old/inapplicable) medical school ERAS application.
Preferable to waive/encrypt in some way, I would think.
Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

There's no simple solution to this. If you have a copy of your letters, then just send them. If you don't have a copy, as the original letter writers to email them.

Reactions: 1 user
Seeking recommendations re: submitting "waived/unseen" LORs for off-cycle positions through non-traditional avenues (e.g. not ERAS/NRMP).

Advertising vacancies do not note this requirement + ResidentSwap et al do not offer concrete suggestions/means for this...
Would love to hear your success stories + creative solutions that go beyond LOR writers/references directly emailing PDs or downloading my (old/inapplicable) medical school ERAS application.
Preferable to waive/encrypt in some way, I would think.
Thanks for your help!

Use Interfolio's Dossier service. Pay for the 50-letter delivery package. There will be a secure email delivery of the letter from the LOR writer to the email of the PD or whatever. I did this. A few times Interfolio actually audited by letter and made me prove I was affilitated with the program (ex. interview invitation from the program, email correspondence from the program).

1.) Email your LOR writer asking them to upload the letter to Interfolio.
2.) Email it out to up to 50 people. You can also solicit letters from other LOR writers this way.

On a separate note, there's no way of accessing the already written letter in ERAS that you can select, but not download in ERAS. That's by design.

Last edited:
Use Interfolio. Pay for 50 deliveries. There will be a secure email delivery of the letter from the LOR writer to the email of the PD or whatever. I did this. A few times Interfolio actually audited by letter and made me prove I was affilitated with the program (ex. interview invitation from the program, email correspondence from the program).
Will absolutely check out Interfolio!!! Thank you so much for the input!

Will absolutely check out Interfolio!!! Thank you so much for the input!
It will work. Just do it. The letters will be confidential. The challenge will be that person resending the letter to Interfolio and getting them to do that. Anyone who googles it will see it's a legit thing. Report back when it's done :) They work over weekends too I imagine.

Reactions: 1 user