Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Waiver

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Valencia, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Valencia

Valencia Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Does it matter I waive or don’t waive my right of access to the letter of reference on the PharmCAS application?:confused:

2. calrx

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Unless you have a good reason why you wouldn't want to waive it, it always is better to waive it. I was told by my advisor that waived letters of recommendation hold more weight than non-waived letters.

3. Valencia

Valencia Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I didn't waive it and I have no reason. Is it possible to change it even after I e-submitted my application?

4. wheelsonfire

wheelsonfire Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Get on changing it right away!!!
    You have to look at it from the ad-com's perspective. If you waive your right to the letter and have a glowing recommendation, it will carry more weight. If they think you've seen the letter or think the recommender is writing the letter knowing you will see it, it's not a good recommendation.
    I know it's crazy and we all want to know what that prof or supervisor will write, but if you have a good grade and a good relationship, then you have to put your faith in your judgement of that person. If they write something negative(doubtfull), then it gives you somenthing interesting to discuss in your interview. Bottom line, CALL PHARMCAS and change your preference. You won't be sorry.

5. freshbeatschris

freshbeatschris New Phuture
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    If I'm not mistaken, you CAN'T change anything on PharmCAS aside from an address change after you've submitted your application. The next chance to ADD anything to PharmCAS after you've submitted is December 15th when the academic window re-opens.

Chris

6. Valencia

Valencia Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I called them, and they said they can’t change it because they already received the recommendation letter. What a bummer! Now, I am very worried about getting accepted in any school. I hate PharmCAS and I hate their stupid system. Anyway, there is nothing I can do about it except this+pissed+

7. pharmagirl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure there are plenty of people that choose that option because they don't think it makes a difference. I'm sure the colleges don't put much weight on that tiny aspect of your application.

8. freshbeatschris

freshbeatschris New Phuture
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I have never heard anyone say that it hurts your chances of getting in if you don't waive your right to read the LOR. I've been familiarizing myself with PharmCAS for 3 years and have been on SDN for quite a while. I certainly was not worried about what any of my references would say, I just thought it might be a morale booster to read them. Why would any prospective pharmacy student ask for a LOR from someone who might give them a bad rap? That just seems counterproductive to me.

Chris

9. usi

usi
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Valencia, I would not worry about them.
    Just know what to say in case it comes up at an interview.

10. Valencia

Valencia Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks! calrx ,wheelsonfire, freshbeatschris, pharmagirl, and usi . I’m feeling better now. You guys are AWESOME. Have a Marry Christmas !!!:love: and :luck:

11. pharmagirl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Glad you're feeling better! I know its easy to worry about the little things during this process. Many of us have been in your shoes!

Merry Christmas to you too!

12. DHG

DHG Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Wow, in that case I wish I had waived mine... I wonder once you are accepted will they (the school) let you look at your file once you have started your first semester. One of my letter writers was nice enough to give me a copy of the letter. One of the others offered to write a letter for me so I assume it was good... the third one I have no idea what he would have said.. He's an odd duck.