Wake Forest Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hiiii *waves vigorously* lol

I'm so sorry I've forgotten your name (I think it began with Al-something, but it was unique). First week of May? Are you kidding?! OMG I hope they were just saying that to get people to not call about status updates lol. My postman is going to kill me because I've been pestering him about making absolutely sure that he texts me if he notices something from them in the mail so I can come home from work to find out hahaha.

It's been driving my bf crazy too because he's graduating the same day as me in Computer Science so he has two potential job offers on the table. Both as systems and information analyst (or something like that lol), the first in Greensboro for Google and the second in San Diego for Apple. So Wake Forest is the deciding factor whether we move to North Carolina or California.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh I don't think I want to be a pediatric interventional neuroradiologist. I'm just saying that given the size of the hospital compared to the size of the med student class, it would probably be comparatively easier to rotate in a very specialized field at WF than it would at other schools.

One of my tour guides also said that you spend one of your summers during first or second year doing medical mission work, and have that count as one of your rotations during 3rd/4th year. How awesome would that be?!

And I'm from PA

That sounds so cool! I really like how they incorporate PBL as a segue, because I'm sure those type of analytical skills will come in handy if your volunteer work is in a clinic or something related.

What about Arabic??? Wouldn't that be more useful then Farsi because Farsi is only spoken in one country but Arabic is pretty much the language across the rest of the mideast??

But Farsi would be cool to learn.

Yes Arabic is more widely spoken but Farsi would be easier for me to learn because the sound systems are similar to the languages that I already know. Plus my dad's close friend speaks Farsi so I would have an outlet for practice, which would then allow me to learn a more difficult language that has many more unfamiliar sound systems like Arabic. In other words killing two birds with one stone LOL. Amazingly enough even with French, Swedish, and Russian under my belt- I found that trying to learn German was exceptionally difficult, which is my goal after Farsi/Arabic. Yeah I'm a language nerd :p

Members don't see this ad :)
That's cool. You'll be like the pope when all is said and done. hahahhaha :D :p :laugh: :laugh:

yah german is very different then french, spanish, italian because it doesn't have that same greek/latin base as its basis. I think Italian and Spanish is far more easier to learn then learning german. At my old highschool the IB kids used to do german because that was what was required of them.

There's actually some very interesting work in Neuropsychology (lots of research contributed by Wake Forest, Duke, and UNC- another plus of Wake's program) that's been published on language. For example there are numerous studies that suggest reading abilities and procedural memory (for writing) are developed only AFTER we are able to say/pronounce the words. Which brings into light concepts like orthography which classifies languages into deep or shallow depending on the 1 to 1 ratio of letter to pronounced sound. Or phonemic awareness which would aid in decoding of sound to an alphabetic symbol.

The "difficulty" of a language (aside from the familiarity to your native language) can be estimated by looking at those languages with shallow orthographies (like Spanish, Finnish, and Japanese) versus languages with deep orthographies (like English, French, and Arabic) and then they can be organized by relative difficulty to the learner. Grossly simplified- the more phonetic and specific (in terms of having less exceptions to written symbol to sound rules) the easier the language is for adults to learn (because they can practice via reading exercises). There is a study (I lost the article but when I find it, I’ll send it to you if you want) that shows data of the comparative ages when children learned to read in various languages. It shows that English and French speaking children develop reading skills about 2.5-3 years LATER than Spanish, Italian, and Finnish speaking children and suggests that the level of phonemic awareness is to blame. For example the “f” sound in Spanish is most always spelled with the letter f, whereas in English this same sound can be achieved with f, ph, or gh. However linguistic concepts like orthography and phonemic awareness don’t always apply (like in Chinese or the Kanji portion of Japanese) because these don’t follow an alphabetic example.

German is awkward because theoretically it should be an easier language to master than Arabic for example, it has shallow orthography and shares MANY words/letters/sounds with French, Italian (modern), Slavic and Scandinavian languages, as well as English. However the phonemic awareness and consequently the development of reading abilities are very similar to languages of the opposite orthography. Then again all of this is just an idea or suggestion as to why one language might be more difficult for one person to learn versus another.

Well….. sorry to go off on a diatribe- I guess I could have said “Yup I agree, Spanish is easier” but eh, “the more you know” concept works too LOL

So back to the topic, did you apply to any programs?

Feel free to go on as much as you want. Your post is definitely very interesting. Where woud various dravidian and sanskriti based indian languages fall in these categories of deep vs. shallow? Do you know? What about vietnamese?

That said, I applied to the regular non URM/non disadvantaged person's based SMPs. I thought about this program but I figure I'm not disadvantaged or URM so they would probably not take me. So I didn't apply to it. But since I've researched into it in the past I can say it looks like an exceptional program.

I've applied to normal non URM/non disadvantaged people type of SMPs i.e. Gtown SMP, EVMS BMS, UCiny MS in Physio,and Tufts MBS.

Those are very good questions, to be honest I'm not sure about the first two groups of Indian languages- I haven't come across them in the literature nor do I really know enough about the languages they encompass to speculate (sorry). The same for Vietnamese, however the cultural impact of the western world in southeast Asia over the last two centuries has certainly made for an interesting natural "fusion" experiment in Vietnam. Basically the language is strongly related to Chinese however the writing system was romanized in the 1800s (I think it was invented by the Portuguese- but don't quote me on that lol) and then taught in schools to the masses. Prior to the romanization I don't think that learning the written language was as widespread. So it's like alphabetized Chinese (an awkward concept)- I'm sure the classification is "fun" for linguists to play with lol.

Initially, I never considered applying to any programs except for medical schools because I thought that post bac programs were just for people who weren't sure if they wanted to go to grad school to earn a PhD. For some reason I accidentally clicked on something in AMCAS and it brought me to a page with post bac premed programs. So having applied to all my medical schools already, I sent everyone an email that had a post bac program to see if I were rejected from the medical school would I still be able to apply to the post bac programs. Amazingly enough I got a lot of "you must apply to one or the other" type of responses.

I think that out of 7 emails I sent out only Georgetown, Marshall, and Wake Forest were the only ones to say it was ok to switch if I had been rejected. Marshall I was screwed with because I'm not a resident of West Virginia (state school), Georgetown I was really turned off by after speaking to a few of the students and the staff (so much so that I told them to cancel my secondary app), I had written off Wake Forest in my mind because they were quick to reject me pre-secondary back in October. I was geared toward PennPrep at University of Pennsylvania because I had a few connections there- but their program was for research and was two years long so I had to think about accepting the interview. So of course I was (still am) excited about the opportunity for Wake Forest.

What were things that you looked for in an SMP? Is there an SMP or medical school that you REALLY want to go to? Why?

I'm still waiting on a response, I know that the one guy said the first week of May but I was kinda hoping that was something they were just telling people lol. Has anyone else heard anything different than the first week of May?

No news here either. And even worse my bank told me my mail had been returned to them for some reason, and on top of that I haven't received any mail since
Thursday. I have no idea why because I haven't moved. So I really hope
there isn't a letter on it's way back to Winston-Salem because if a mail carriers mistake.

Yes, I called and they did tell me by the first week in May, but that hasn't stopped me from rushing home everyday to check the mail. I really believe by this time next week we will have heard. A couple more days...I hope! Nyotek, I understand about needing to know. My boss asks me about it everday; I guess she wants to start looking for my replacement.

Last edited:
Well I'm going to take a nap and hope that when I wake up my postman will have sent me a text saying there's a letter for me LOL *mockingly sings Disney princess style* "some daaaaay my letter will come...." ;p

Has anyone heard anything???:confused:

Nope nothing yet, I got half excited when I saw the email that you replied because I thought you did LOL. We should be hearing this week right?

I just called and spoke to Shirley Dockery (the super nice lady that led the introduction- I think she was wearing bright pink), she said that the letters are going to be sent out this week. So in a couple of days y'all!! Good Juju to all ^_^.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the repeated posts, my iPhone claimed to have lost connnection.

Last edited:
Man...the letters are going to be sent this week. I guess I was hoping the situation was more along the lines of the letters were sent last week. The current class interviewed two weeks later than we did and heard by Mother's day, looks like we may not find out by then. I don't understand why they emailed us invitations for the interview, but make us wait on snail mail for the acceptances.

Have either of you thought about when you'd move if/when we get in? I have to say, the more I learn about the area, the more I like it.

Man...the letters are going to be sent this week. I guess I was hoping the situation was more along the lines of the letters were sent last week. The current class interviewed two weeks later than we did and heard by Mother's day, looks like we may not find out by then. I don't understand why they emailed us invitations for the interview, but make us wait on snail mail for the acceptances.

Have either of you thought about when you'd move if/when we get in? I have to say, the more I learn about the area, the more I like it.

It depends when classes actually start but I'd say 6 weeks prior to the first day of class. The 4 weeks to look for and secure a place, then move during the beginning of the 5th week, and finally complete the settling process the end of the fifth week and beginning of the 6th week. This way it allows for 2-3 days of relaxation and diversion before getting back into school.

However, I'm sure that with my tendencies (if everything is in my favor) I'll most likely start looking at places the day I find out lol. I definitely won't move until two weeks prior so that I can continue working and save up as much money as I can.

What about you guys? Have you read about any places that seem to be really great places to live?

Ok...so at the very least letters will have to be sent today or tomorrow. To answer your question, I think I will also try to work as long as possible, but two weeks should be enough time to pack and move to North Carolina. If I am accepted, I 'm considering having a roommate just because of the amount of money you can save. You can really live on the cheap in W-S with a roomie.

amnj - you went to Wake as an undergrad right? so the Piedmont triad population is like 1.5M... is it all small towns between W-S, High Point, and, uh, the other town? How long would it take to drive from one end to the other of the triad? And what are the winters like? When does it turn really cold? Is snow rare, or is there a time of year where you have a couple inches for days or weeks?

Most importantly
- does anyone in W-S know what a real Philly cheesesteak is?
- where is the best place to get sushi in W-S?

Also, what are your personal thoughts about going back to Wake? Would it be weird to move back there or are you really looking forward to it?

amnj - you went to Wake as an undergrad right? so the Piedmont triad population is like 1.5M... is it all small towns between W-S, High Point, and, uh, the other town? How long would it take to drive from one end to the other of the triad? And what are the winters like? When does it turn really cold? Is snow rare, or is there a time of year where you have a couple inches for days or weeks?

Most importantly
- does anyone in W-S know what a real Philly cheesesteak is?
- where is the best place to get sushi in W-S?

Also, what are your personal thoughts about going back to Wake? Would it be weird to move back there or are you really looking forward to it?

Yes, I went to Wake as an undergraduate. The other town you are referring to is Greensboro. My best friend went to school there so I spent some weekends there as an undergrad. G-boro is about 30 minute drive east of W-S and there are some little towns in between the two cities, but not much else really. I don't know too much about High Point, other than it is supposedly great for furniture shopping.

Winters in North Carolina are pretty moderate, but I guess it is relative as some of the current post-bacs (mostly those from Florida) stated they thought it was really cold in the winter. I had a friend who would wear shorts most of the year except Jan/Feb, which sometimes can have surprisingly warm days. It usually turns cold in November/December, but usually by March it is already warming back up. I do remember having some snow days there as an undergrad. W-S is close to the mountains so snow is always a possibility, more so than the Eastern part of the state where I am from. I think if you are coming from the Northeast or Midwest then you will think the weather is great, but if you are coming from Florida or the Southwest, maybe not so much.

I can't say I have ever had a memorable cheesesteak in Winston and I only really started to eat sushi after moving to Boston, but I'm sure Winston would have at least a couple decent sushi places. I can't say too much about cheesesteaks, but there is great bbq!

I am looking forward to it (if I am accepted). It has been four years since I was at Wake as an undergrad, so I think this experience will be different because I'm a lot different than I was four years ago. Wake would be an ideal place to learn medicine and the school is supportive of its students and has lots of resources to take advantage of. After living in Boston, I do look forward to the mild winters, the more reasonable cost of living and being closer to my family. Some things that will take getting use to again are a lack of decent public transportation, being in a more conservative environment and a lack of some of the other aspects that come with living in a larger city. However, those are small things to give up compared with the opportunity of attending medical school.

Hey everyone
Let me say that decisions are out and you will all know very soon. I remember sitting exactly where you were two years ago and rest assured that Wake is not only a great program but a truly great place to go to school. The post bac program has helped me in so many ways throughout my first year of medical school, not that it was easy, but simply that having seen the material once before albeit in a more limited way, made conquering the material much more manageable. If anyone has any questions please drop me a line and if you are looking for housing there are a lot of fourth years who are moving and there are open housing spots.
Good luck to you all
NYU2004
Wake Forest University School of Medicine Class of 2012

Hey everyone
Let me say that decisions are out and you will all know very soon. I remember sitting exactly where you were two years ago and rest assured that Wake is not only a great program but a truly great place to go to school. The post bac program has helped me in so many ways throughout my first year of medical school, not that it was easy, but simply that having seen the material once before albeit in a more limited way, made conquering the material much more manageable. If anyone has any questions please drop me a line and if you are looking for housing there are a lot of fourth years who are moving and there are open housing spots.
Good luck to you all
NYU2004
Wake Forest University School of Medicine Class of 2012

Do you know when they were sent? Should I rush home right now? :laugh:

OMG amnjmd I was thinking the same thing LMAO! I'm going to be like a crack addict for the next few days "where's the mail?.... *rocking back and forth*.... do you have the mail?......." LOL

Well this is it folks, good luck to everyone!

Dude I just realized you are from miami. What part of Miami are you from? My bro lives at 500 Brickell in downtown.

Wow that is the definition of downtown lol, I live in West Miramar close to the North Miami Beach/Miami Gardens area.

Man just this morning I was thinking how last year someone had an inside scoop on the letters having been sent, and I was wondering if we'd get the same heads up. Thanks

Just came back with the mail, nothing from Wake Forest :( My birthday is on Tuesday so hopefully I'll get notice of acceptance before then so I can celebrate two things LOL.

Still no word yet over here, has anyone else had better luck? I know I know, it's only Monday but I figured I'd ask lol. Hope everyone had a great weekend :)

I'm in:D:D:D !!! I got my letter yesterday and it was thin like we were warned it would be. I'm so excited and I think the only person who was more excited was my mom; it took forever for her to stop shouting on the phone. Good luck to everyone else!!!

Last edited:
congratulations to everyone that has been accepted into the post-bac program!!!!:D

quick question though...and the answer can be here or via PM...is there any particular reason why the post-bac does not show up on AMCAS website anymore..is it in its last year??

Congrats amnjmd!! I hope mine comes today :) *wish me luck* lol

I noticed that Wake's program is no longer on AMCAS as well. It was there as of November 15th when I last looked but when I went to check again after receiving the interview invite it was gone. I don't think they are in their last year- although it is possible that they just haven't updated the information and AMCAS has update requirements so they just deleted it. If you look on the post bac page the information hasn't been updated since 2007. There is another thread about wake's program that's only a few posts long from last year that I think has a working link that describes their program. If not then check in the first page or so of this thread.

I noticed that Wake's program is no longer on AMCAS as well. It was there as of November 15th when I last looked but when I went to check again after receiving the interview invite it was gone. I don't think they are in their last year- although it is possible that they just haven't updated the information and AMCAS has update requirements so they just deleted it. If you look on the post bac page the information hasn't been updated since 2007. There is another thread about wake's program that's only a few posts long from last year that I think has a working link that describes their program. If not then check in the first page or so of this thread.

thats what i figured..thanks :)

Congrats amnjmd!! I hope mine comes today :) *wish me luck* lol

Good Luck, Nyotek!!!:luck::xf::luck::xf:

ugh... I got today's mail and still no letter. congrats amnj!

Congratulations to those who were accepted! I'm very excited for you. I finished the program shortly after your interviews and must say I can't believe it's over, but I'm very excited to start medical school here at Wake this August.

If you have any questions about the program now that you've been accepted or about Winston-Salem in general please feel free to message me.

Good luck and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Don't feel bad, nothing for me today either. Today is my bday and I'm so bummed- I'm waiting on something else for Thursday and I hope that comes out good too :(

I know the wait is horrible but you will all know soon. Congrats to those of you that will be here next year. Also the post bac program isn't in its last year so for those of you wanting to apply, it will always be around.

Thanks guys for the 411..and again congratulations on the ones who were aceepted. I have heard nothing but positive things about the program.

I got my letter today- didn't get in or waitlisted :'( Well, good luck to the rest.

how many do they interview and take? seems competitive..

200 or so applications, 25 interviews, 10 acceptances + a few waitlisted

Quick question??
Has anyone heard of someone getting accepted into this program with a 21 on the MCAT but less than 7 on one of the sections?? I am thinking about applying to this program but that's my only concern.

Quick question??
Has anyone heard of someone getting accepted into this program with a 21 on the MCAT but less than 7 on one of the sections?? I am thinking about applying to this program but that's my only concern.

I was wondering the same thing.....

I haven't heard o such a thing and honestlythey are really eplicit on their website that you disqualify if you don't have anything less then a 7.

However, depending on what you consider less then a 7 i.e. 5 or 6 vs. 2 or 3, you might have a shot at other minority and disadvantaged people SMPs i.e. Drexel DPMS, GEMS at Gtown, and even to some degree possibly even USF IMS.

Those are the SMps I've seen people get into with a 5 or 6 who've gotten into med school eventually.

i know theyre flexible on the GPA requirements.. it says must have a 2.7 .. but i know of people getting in with a 2.5 bcpm.. so its possible on that end atleast..

I am applying to this program this cycle ..... anyone else?

2.5 is the minimum if you read the website so that is not being flexible. that is being within range of the minimum required.

oh ok.. i only see a page that says.. "Must have an undergraduate science and overall grade point average of 2.7 or better and a total MCAT score of 21 or more (7's in each area)." I cant find where the 2.5 is.. thats def info i need to know.. where can i find that? thanx