Wake Forest vs OUWB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sidthekiddd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I wanted to see if anyone had input as to the pros and cons of both programs. Say the tuition for both is equal, what would be the pros and cons to each.

What I have so far

OUWB Pros:
Fit
Extremely supportive faculty
Beaumont health system
Integrated research project

OUWB Cons:
Lack of diversity (URM)
Honors/P/F with mandatory attendance to honor

Wake Pros:
More Opportunities in research
Wake Health system
Cost of living is crazy cheap
P/F
Beautiful campus
More diversity- in terms of URM

Wake Cons:
I didn't feel support from the admissions when I went for my interview, I didn't feel it from admissions that much

Any input would be much apprechiated! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Given your situation, I’d choose wake but only after second look to see if admissions seemed more supportive. I’d also consider your potential specialty and see if the program matches well with that. Though it seems like you can’t go wrong with either program congrats!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys, I wanted to see if anyone had input as to the pros and cons of both programs. Say the tuition for both is equal, what would be the pros and cons to each.

What I have so far

OUWB Pros:
Fit
Extremely supportive faculty
Beaumont health system
Integrated research project

OUWB Cons:
Lack of diversity (URM)
Honors/P/F with mandatory attendance to honor

Wake Pros:
More Opportunities in research
Wake Health system
Cost of living is crazy cheap
P/F
Beautiful campus
More diversity- in terms of URM

Wake Cons:
I didn't feel support from the admissions when I went for my interview, they all seemed bored and uninterested

Any input would be much apprechiated! Thanks
How's the money look at Wake?

Members don't see this ad :)
I second attending the Wake second look - I’ll be there and hope to get a good feel for the school. I’m unfamiliar with OUWB, so I can’t advise you on that, but the P/F system at Wake is fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
The tuition is more or less the same at both for me. Wake is a bit over 1000 more a year than Oakland would be. (Living cost is so much cheaper so it balances out)
That's awesome. We'll I'd say go with your gut and what makes you want to get up in the morning and grind day in and day out. Wake is more established but OUWB is fast on the come up with a fantastic hospital system. Honestly, do you want to live in a suburb of Detroit or Winston Salem NC? Also depends how important pass fail is to you..

Full disclosure: I'm holding an acceptance to Wake, have lived in NC for a few years, and did not apply to OUWB.

Taking everything together, I do think that Wake is the better choice especially when considering the P/F system. Having lived in NC, I'll also say that it can be pretty fun to live here. The weather is pretty nice, the communities are diverse and friendly (in my opinion), and there can be a lot of outdoors stuff to do, if you're into that.

I had the same general impression of the admissions staff (minus Dean Grier, who was awesome), but I might not judge too harshly on that. Perhaps, yes, it could reflect on how strongly they will try to recruit great students in the future, but I felt that the enthusiasm of the current students I met made up for that.

Full disclosure: I'm holding an acceptance to Wake, have lived in NC for a few years, and did not apply to OUWB.

Taking everything together, I do think that Wake is the better choice especially when considering the P/F system. Having lived in NC, I'll also say that it can be pretty fun to live here. The weather is pretty nice, the communities are diverse and friendly (in my opinion), and there can be a lot of outdoors stuff to do, if you're into that.

I had the same general impression of the admissions staff (minus Dean Grier, who was awesome), but I might not judge too harshly on that. Perhaps, yes, it could reflect on how strongly they will try to recruit great students in the future, but I felt that the enthusiasm of the current students I met made up for that.
I thought I was the only one. Everything about the school was pretty solid, but I just couldn't get over this disconnect .. like everyone was talking about how supportive everyone was at the school, but I just didn't feel it from most of my interaction with the ppl in admissions

I thought I was the only one. Everything about the school was pretty solid, but I just couldn't get over this disconnect .. like everyone was talking about how supportive everyone was at the school, but I just didn't feel it from most of my interaction with the ppl in admissions

It's so interesting reading this perspective because I didn't get that at all on the interview day! The staff was mingling with us (especially Dr. Grier!) and making casual conversation. The person who took us to the MMI was friendly enough, and people have been very courteous on the phone.

It's so interesting reading this perspective because I didn't get that at all on the interview day! The staff was mingling with us (especially Dr. Grier!) and making casual conversation. The person who took us to the MMI was friendly enough, and people have been very courteous on the phone.
It might have been an off day. I've learned not to judge on first impressions... I guess we'll see at second look!

I'm interested in knowing what you ultimately chose! :) @Sidthekiddd
I chose Wake :). My second look impression of Ouwb was ALOT better than Wake, but a few students expressed that OUWB puts on a good show (which doesn't take away from the fact that they're a wonderful school) but it fades over time vs. Wake where students expressed that second look isn't as representative of the school and it gets better.
I've been in situations where I had an amazing first impression and it was wrong- vise versa so I decided to go with cold facts rather than "feel"

The clinical and research opps available to me at Wake easily outweigh those at OUWB.
Location is better.
More diversity in the student body and faculty.
Also, social activism is REALLY important to me and Wake has shown to be more receptive to students as far as support and progress.
I believe my efforts will go further at Wake so that's where I'm going.. I just hope everything else falls into place!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
You made the right choice! We gonna kill the game over the next 4 years. I know we talked about it but post decision feels much more legit and confirming now.

Reactions: 1 users