Walgreens Cutting Pharmacy Hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sfachine

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stores in my area cutting operating hours.Stored M-F 8-10 S 9-9 Sun 9-6 are now open 78 hours per week.Chicago cutting operating hours also.

Members don't see this ad.

Stores in my area cutting operating hours.Stored M-F 8-10 S 9-9 Sun 9-6 are now open 78 hours per week.Chicago cutting operating hours also.

so it went from what to what? pharmacy? store? rph hours cut?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmacy.Stores are back on regular (after virus) hours. I don't know if it is all over but they did expand hours after a buyout and maybe they are just putting them back to normal.

Last edited:
I'm honestly surprised CVS hasn't reduced their overall hours and cut staff accordingly. 9 to 7 Monday to Friday with 1 pharmacist and 1 tech per 3500 rx per week. Sure the staff might complain but that's about it. No need to worry about any sort of resistance to a schedule like that.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm honestly surprised CVS hasn't reduced their overall hours and cut staff accordingly. 9 to 7 Monday to Friday with 1 pharmacist and 1 tech per 3500 rx per week. Sure the staff might complain but that's about it. No need to worry about any sort of resistance to a schedule like that.
They'll def don't care about misfills or lawsuits haha

Reactions: 1 user
All stores that were "extended hours" - anything more than 9-9 before covid (ex. 8-10, 7-11, 8-midnight) went 9-9 for covid along with the front end. They restored front operating hours, doesnt look like they will be restoring Rx hours. 24hr Rx seems to be left alone...

All stores that were "extended hours" - anything more than 9-9 before covid (ex. 8-10, 7-11, 8-midnight) went 9-9 for covid along with the front end. They restored front operating hours, doesnt look like they will be restoring Rx hours. 24hr Rx seems to be left alone...
Some of the 24/7 stores have contract with local hospital to be 24/7

They must have still cut Rph hours at the 24 hour stores though? I imagine they have little to no overlap now.

cvs went 9 to 9 last month and just changed back to normal regular hours at least in LA area

There should be an official announcement today about decrease in operating hours.
Obviously, not every store is affected, but many stores will have decreased operating hours

I'm headed into work shortly- what should I expect?

Members don't see this ad :)
That happened in my district.

They must have still cut Rph hours at the 24 hour stores though? I imagine they have little to no overlap now.

Truly busy stores (i.e. Tier 5 Rx which most remaining 24hr stores are) still have a lot of overlap. 2-3 rph at a time on weekdays. I find a lot of people make sensationalist claims that they are doing 500 a day with zero overlap but they aren't near that volume in reality ‍.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Truly busy stores (i.e. Tier 5 Rx which most remaining 24hr stores are) still have a lot of overlap. 2-3 rph at a time on weekdays. I find a lot of people make sensationalist claims that they are doing 500 a day with zero overlap but they aren't near that volume in reality ‍.

Maybe they mean 500 on a Monday or Friday? If it averages like 300 a day that would be 2100 per week - would a store like that have any overlap?

How profitable are Meijer pharmacies? Honest question.
Why should we care how much profit a corporate makes? Working for retail chains is really working like an Ass, someone else will take 7 figure bouns/salary on your hard work

Why should we care how much profit a corporate makes? Working for retail chains is really working like an Ass, someone else will take 7 figure bouns/salary on your hard work

You’ll care when they go out of business or sell out to CVS a la Target.

Reactions: 3 users

Don’t be short sighted. Ship goes down, you go down.

Don’t be short sighted. Ship goes down, you go down.
Walgreens stock was plummeting even before the recession and is looking more and more desperate.Wall Street has given up on retail pharmacy. I hope someone can prove me wrong.

You’ll care when they go out of business or sell out to CVS a la Target.

Exactly. With CVS buying out Target, and now Schnucks pharmacies, this is a question people should be asking themselves at Meijer. Are we profitable enough for Meijer to keep us? Are you the next CVS prey?

I have read about hour reductions in retail for the past 10 years. Yall have gotta be on skeleton crews all the time now.
What happens when there is no more fat to trim? they keep cutting anyways...

I have read about hour reductions in retail for the past 10 years. Yall have gotta be on skeleton crews all the time now.
What happens when there is no more fat to trim? they keep cutting anyways...
then amazon pharmacy starts delivering meds by drones and do all counseling on cloud. time to cut the skeleton.

So Walgreens will turn into rite aid basically?

Cvs is the future of retail pharmacy... unfortunately.

Over on Reddit someone mentioned Walgreens cutting pharmacy operating hours to 50 a week (I suppose 9-6 weekdays, 10-3 Sat?)

CVS being the future of retail pharmacy = no future (if it weren't already obvious)

• Wow
Over on Reddit someone mentioned Walgreens cutting pharmacy operating hours to 50 a week (I suppose 9-6 weekdays, 10-3 Sat?)

CVS being the future of retail pharmacy = no future (if it weren't already obvious)
I honestly wouldn’t mind working less hours if it meant I get every Sunday off

So Walgreens will turn into rite aid basically?

Cvs is the future of retail pharmacy... unfortunately.
These hours ARE the future of retail pharmacy.
This, insurance deliveries, and retail deliveries. There is no reason for CVS to stay open until 8pm if the Walgreens down the road closes at 6. Maybe a couple pharmacies per district open until 9pm and on Sundays for urgent cares, the rest will have limited hours. Already this year we're seeing the death of 24hour pharmacies. The profits just aren't there.

Thankfully, this trend will correct. Once pharmacist wages are down to around $25/hour, we may get an hour or two back here and there.

Reactions: 1 users
This, insurance deliveries, and retail deliveries. There is no reason for CVS to stay open until 8pm if the Walgreens down the road closes at 6. Maybe a couple pharmacies per district open until 9pm and on Sundays for urgent cares, the rest will have limited hours. Already this year we're seeing the death of 24hour pharmacies. The profits just aren't there.

Thankfully, this trend will correct. Once pharmacist wages are down to around $25/hour, we may get an hour or two back here and there.
IF I work in retail and gets paid anywhere less than $40/hr, I would steal hundreds of non-narcotic pills per day & sell them on black market to make up for it lol.

• Angry
  • Wow

The chains could pay $15 an hour for pharmacists and you wouldn't get any hours back. Your statement implies pharmacist wages are the problem, that's a corporate attitude. It's so funny how so many pharmacists adopt these attitudes it's like widespread Stockholm syndrome. What about the cool 1 million dollars the Walgreens board gave pessina when he first started? Now's he's trying to sell the company.

IF I work in retail and gets paid anywhere less than $40/hr, I would steal hundreds of non-narcotic pills per day & sell them on black market to make up for it lol.

Enjoy licensure forfeiture and prison.

Reactions: 4 users
The chains could pay $15 an hour for pharmacists and you wouldn't get any hours back. Your statement implies pharmacist wages are the problem, that's a corporate attitude. It's so funny how so many pharmacists adopt these attitudes it's like widespread Stockholm syndrome. What about the cool 1 million dollars the Walgreens board gave pessina when he first started? Now's he's trying to sell the company.
What's wrong to have corporate attitude? I think wages of most healthcare professionals in the US are part of the problem. $60/h is too high for most of the pharmacists compared to that of techs, or compared to other countries. It's the reason why so many students want to study pharmacy in the US instead of nursing...

Enjoy licensure forfeiture and prison.
it is actually much easier than you think, 100 pills of metformin today, then 100 pills of rosuvastatin tomorrow. go for the fast movers.

when pay goes under 40/hr, the licensure really doesn't mean shiiiit any more. 39/hr with only 24 hrs guaranteed as floaters, pharmacists make less than 50k a year lol. i think a community college engineering grad make more than that. when that happens, the pharmacy profession becomes trash, and who cares about a licensure for a trash profession?

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users
What's wrong to have corporate attitude? I think wages of most healthcare professionals in the US are part of the problem. $60/h is too high for most of the pharmacists compared to that of techs, or compared to other countries. It's the reason why so many students want to study pharmacy in the US instead of nursing...

I'm consistently amazed at how much better the good pharmacists in my district are than the replacement level pharmacists. There are so many pharmacists in my district who are so terrible at all aspects of their job (I'm talking everything; clinical skills, shift management, speed, accuracy, customer service, ect) that I can't even begin to understand how they graduated from school, nor how they have maintained employment.

I feel like 50% of the floaters we have right now are so willfully terrible at the production aspect of the job while also being totally clinically inept to the point that any of my technicians could run a better pharmacist shift than them. I totally see corporate using said floaters lack of productivity and quality to drag us all down instead of creating demand for the competent pharmacists.

I'm consistently amazed at how much better the good pharmacists in my district are than the replacement level pharmacists. There are so many pharmacists in my district who are so terrible at all aspects of their job (I'm talking everything; clinical skills, shift management, speed, accuracy, customer service, ect) that I can't even begin to understand how they graduated from school, nor how they have maintained employment.

I feel like 50% of the floaters we have right now are so willfully terrible at the production aspect of the job while also being totally clinically inept to the point that any of my technicians could run a better pharmacist shift than them. I totally see corporate using said floaters lack of productivity and quality to drag us all down instead of creating demand for the competent pharmacists.
when pay is not up, nobody wants to put in the work. when i did my ippes and appes, i put in half-assed work deliberately cuz i know the pay is shiiiit, and i don't want to work for them forever. three letters and wags treat floaters like trash, what prevents floaters act inept to collect paycheck?

I agree that most new grads' clinical knowledge is terrible but I don't think it affects much, especially in retail.

when pay is not up, nobody wants to put in the work. when i did my ippes and appes, i put in half-assed work deliberately cuz i know the pay is shiiiit, and i don't want to work for them forever. three letters and wags treat floaters like trash, what prevents floaters act inept to collect paycheck?
Unemployment

Or $45/hr at a new company

Unemployment

Or $45/hr at a new company
i ended up not working in retail, and unlikely anytime in future. my current job now pays better than three letters and wags new grad rate, and i get to sit in a chair all day long and have unlimited washroom & lunch breaks lol.

Corporations care about profit, pharmacists care about people. Not mutually exclusive but frequent conflicts.

Employees want to make more money, corporations want to keep it for themselves. You are basically telling 95% of the people on this forum they are overpaid. Do you send 40% of your paycheck back to your employer because wages are the problem?

You're at 50%?

Lucky

Expect a surge of people getting their medications from mail order pharmacies. More and more people are using telemedicine. Doctors would prescribe medications online (after checking copayment with patients) and they will receive medications from the mail within a day. No need to stop by the pharmacy. No need to step outside of the house to have their health needs met.

• Love
Corporations care about profit, pharmacists care about people. Not mutually exclusive but frequent conflicts.

Employees want to make more money, corporations want to keep it for themselves. You are basically telling 95% of the people on this forum they are overpaid. Do you send 40% of your paycheck back to your employer because wages are the problem?
It's capitalism. Corporations take 99% of profit. Employees 1%. Unfortunate if you're employees. Try to open your own pharmacy? Be in the other side?

Last edited:
You're at 50%?

Lucky
Give it time and I'll be saying "80%", i haven't met most of our new batch, but we have like 3 or 4 great per diem people who work 1 or 2 shifts a month that skew the numbers.