Walgreens Cutting Pharmacy Hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most pharmacies are starting to do same day deliveries now. That is going to dry up the need for chain expansion. It may even cut down the need for store hours. The dream of the chains is to get down to 1 rph per store and a few float hours here and there. The other dream is to get that rph wage down to $40 per hour. Retail pharmacy future is not looking great. I am intrigued to hear about the job prospects of the class of 2020. Hospital and retail are both dismal right now. it must be extra rough for those coming out of a residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Floating is like cooking in somebody else kitchen.Every store is different..Efficiency is going to suffer.Try opening up a unfamiliar store with no tech help and you have to spend 15 minutes trying to find rx labels .

Reactions: 2 users
What happened to harvoni_rituxan? Another one bites the dust. More filtering from the mods. Seems like y'all ban one person per week lately.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
but i mean won't we be needed when the vaccine rolls out...??? house calls?! :)

I'm consistently amazed at how much better the good pharmacists in my district are than the replacement level pharmacists. There are so many pharmacists in my district who are so terrible at all aspects of their job (I'm talking everything; clinical skills, shift management, speed, accuracy, customer service, ect) that I can't even begin to understand how they graduated from school, nor how they have maintained employment.

I feel like 50% of the floaters we have right now are so willfully terrible at the production aspect of the job while also being totally clinically inept to the point that any of my technicians could run a better pharmacist shift than them. I totally see corporate using said floaters lack of productivity and quality to drag us all down instead of creating demand for the competent pharmacists.

Let’s be real, the competent floaters inevitably get promoted. So you’re perpetually left with a ****ty float pool, because unless you kill someone or make a serious mistake as a floater, you’re keeping your job.

Let’s be real, the competent floaters inevitably get promoted. So you’re perpetually left with a ****ty float pool, because unless you kill someone or make a serious mistake as a floater, you’re keeping your job.

Oh yeah 100%, pretty much every new grad we hire gets promoted, fired, or leaves for a better opportunity within 12 months of starting. The second that saturation hit my area and the pharmacists that liked being floaters didn't have a guaranteed 80 hours they all took stores.

Reactions: 1 user
IF I work in retail and gets paid anywhere less than $40/hr, I would steal hundreds of non-narcotic pills per day & sell them on black market to make up for it lol.

I think I figured out why you were banned.

At any rate, isn't it amazing that your technicians making far less than $40/hr are able to control themselves and not steal from their employer?

It's capitalism. Corporations take 99% of profit. Employees 1%. Unfortunate if you're employees. Try to open your own pharmacy? Be in the other side?

Technically we have corporate capitalism in the US, which is similar, but not the same as pure capitalism.

Reactions: 1 users
Exactly. With CVS buying out Target, and now Schnucks pharmacies, this is a question people should be asking themselves at Meijer. Are we profitable enough for Meijer to keep us? Are you the next CVS prey?
well, Meijer has huge mail order facility. And they divert majority of their volume to mail order site. That keeps their operating cost down. I think Kroger will come first in buy out list. There were humors about Kroger merging with Walgreens too. But you never know, anything can happen with Pharmacy profession now!!!

Reactions: 1 user
well, Meijer has huge mail order facility. And they divert majority of their volume to mail order site. That keeps their operating cost down. I think Kroger will come first in buy out list. There were humors about Kroger merging with Walgreens too. But you never know, anything can happen with Pharmacy profession now!!!

I remember hearing that and being soOoOo excited for us to acquire more pharmacies instead of an insurance company or wholesaler or some other form of vertical integration. Every other successful healthcare company is buying and merging into borderline healthcare monopolies while Walgreens repeatedly blames reimbursement issues as a headwind, but seems instant on not doing anything to work around it.

What happened to harvoni_rituxan? Another one bites the dust. More filtering from the mods. Seems like y'all ban one person per week lately.

To be fair, it's more like they're banning the same people per week.

• Haha