Walgreens floaters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EML9255

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
or people who know about it.

I just finished week 1 of training, next week will be the last 5/10 shifts i need to do. My scheduler called me the other day to see how training was going/when I would be ready to be scheduled. THe next pay period they were making the schedule for starts 9/11. I just logged into the market schedule and from 9/11-9/24 i am only on 3, 8 hour shifts. I figured I would have had 8 shifts, (offer letter is 32 hrs guarenteed/wk). On the phone she made it sound like i could let her know what extra shifts iwant to pick up between the time I am done training and the 11th, but then after the 11th id have my FT hours

Under one shift it says PTO cover (EXT), and under the other two is says RPR Allocation (EXT).

SHould i email my scheduler and ask about this or is there usually a certain date when the schedule is completed by and all of my shifts haven't been put in yet? In the market schedule do i have to click available for an extra shift or put in any sort of availability? im so confused by all of this. I can ask the rph who is training me monday too, i just happen to log in and see it all

My offer letter said this
After you become licensed as a registered pharmacist, in the (insert district here) your designation will be changed to a salaried exempt pharmacist ($ XXXXX annual salary based on a standard 32 hour work-week schedule). I think it's SP8 maybe?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Welcome to floater hell. Ah, the ecstasy of not knowing what your income will be next month, next year,,,not knowing until last minute how far you will have to commute next pay period .....showing up at a store to find someone else also scheduled....and getting the runaround on getting paid for the few table scraps.

Hmmm well the guy who is training me is offering me a staff position at his store but it is 1. very far from my house and 2. a crazy store that idk if i am ready to handle alone yet. Every floater i have met in there is like yeah this is the crazy store

So the whole salaried thing means nothing and they can just give me one shift?

Members don't see this ad :)
does WAG/CVS pay for mileage?

Most places with floaters don't schedule all their hours.....they will wait until someone calls in sick that day, then call the floater and have them go into cover (if no one calls in sick, they will probably just assign you a store to go to at the last minute.) I'm guessing that you will probably get your 32hours/week....you just aren't going to know when and where until the day of work, for most of those shifts.

Not knowing what your income will be.. LMAO

BUT SERIOUSLY WTF. Not knowing what your income will be? More like DON"T F*CK WITH MY MONEY BIT*H!

And that's why I stopped working "floating" hours. Consistency is important, especially if you need to make a certain amount of money per month.

Most places with floaters don't schedule all their hours.....they will wait until someone calls in sick that day, then call the floater and have them go into cover (if no one calls in sick, they will probably just assign you a store to go to at the last minute.) I'm guessing that you will probably get your 32hours/week....you just aren't going to know when and where until the day of work, for most of those shifts.

Ok that's what I was wondering because all the three shifts are at the same store so far. I'll doible check tomorrow w a co worker, thank you though!

or people who know about it.

I just finished week 1 of training, next week will be the last 5/10 shifts i need to do. My scheduler called me the other day to see how training was going/when I would be ready to be scheduled. THe next pay period they were making the schedule for starts 9/11. I just logged into the market schedule and from 9/11-9/24 i am only on 3, 8 hour shifts. I figured I would have had 8 shifts, (offer letter is 32 hrs guarenteed/wk). On the phone she made it sound like i could let her know what extra shifts iwant to pick up between the time I am done training and the 11th, but then after the 11th id have my FT hours

Under one shift it says PTO cover (EXT), and under the other two is says RPR Allocation (EXT).

SHould i email my scheduler and ask about this or is there usually a certain date when the schedule is completed by and all of my shifts haven't been put in yet? In the market schedule do i have to click available for an extra shift or put in any sort of availability? im so confused by all of this. I can ask the rph who is training me monday too, i just happen to log in and see it all

My offer letter said this
After you become licensed as a registered pharmacist, in the (insert district here) your designation will be changed to a salaried exempt pharmacist ($ XXXXX annual salary based on a standard 32 hour work-week schedule). I think it's SP8 maybe?

Hi. Im new with Walgreens as a floater. Im at the same time as you were when you posted this. Im just now also seeing my schedule for the first time and as confused as you were with very similiar questions. Would you be able to guide me on the answers to those questions that you have?

Hi. Im new with Walgreens as a floater. Im at the same time as you were when you posted this. Im just now also seeing my schedule for the first time and as confused as you were with very similiar questions. Would you be able to guide me on the answers to those questions that you have?

This thread is 3 years old buddy

It may not be all Walgreens but at least for the Walgreens I work at and a few from friends, they usually leave 1-3 slots in the weekly schedule that is used for floaters. The only problem with it is for the most part, those floater positions 1st are usually prioritized for people the pharmacy is familiar with before it goes out to the less known floaters when there is only 2-3 days before the scheduled day and they haven't found someone. Even for my store we usually always get the same floater and once in a blue moon we get a floater that is new but that is a last resort since all the pharmacist have a way they prefer things to work in the pharmacy and a new floater usually isn't familiar with it and causes problems, esp. when it comes to MSCing controls...

I havent logged in in a long time but i guess i did at the right time when my ancient post was bumped
I no longer work for wags and only ended up floating for like 6 weeks until I took a store, I dont remember anything about the schedule as a floater to be honest since i didnt do it for very long and it was 3 years ago

I did always get paid full when i floated, but my district was really short staffed so there were no problems giving me shifts. Do not miss wags though, grocery is wayyy better

Reactions: 1 user