Walgreens freezes salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I see all that all the time - when I worked retail each RPh in the chain made a different amount and it was fireable if someone told someone their salary. One older guy got pissed when he found out a young new grad was making 5 an hour more - so he decided to early retire :)
Established all the way back in 1935, the NLRA made it illegal for an employer to fire an employee just for talking about wages at work. In 2014, President Obama signed an executive order – Non-Retaliation for Disclosure of Compensation Information – that helped further cement the NLRA’s power and importance. Due to these federal employment laws, you can converse with coworkers about how much each of you makes in a given pay period.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Have you seen the thousands of threads about new grads being hired to do my job for $30 less per hour?

Did I not say I'm sure its way more complicated than that? The guy asked why lowering salaries is illegal and that's why lol. Clearly there's a way to work around it.

Did I not say I'm sure its way more complicated than that? The guy asked why lowering salaries is illegal and that's why lol. Clearly there's a way to work around it.

Have you never worked for a company that does merit based raises where everyone makes a different amount of money? Your premise is wrong.

Besides that, if they lowered everyone’s pay everyone would still be making the same amount of money so it wouldn’t be violating your made up law. Are you trolling us or something?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Established all the way back in 1935, the NLRA made it illegal for an employer to fire an employee just for talking about wages at work. In 2014, President Obama signed an executive order – Non-Retaliation for Disclosure of Compensation Information – that helped further cement the NLRA’s power and importance. Due to these federal employment laws, you can converse with coworkers about how much each of you makes in a given pay period.

This is 100% correct. But a lot of supervisors don’t know it and will threaten employees with termination for discussing salary. I have had to educate managers who work for me.

Have you never worked for a company that does merit based raises where everyone makes a different amount of money? Your premise is wrong.

Besides that, if they lowered everyone’s pay everyone would still be making the same amount of money so it wouldn’t be violating your made up law. Are you trolling us or something?

This link takes you to the law -> Pay or Compensation Discrimination - Workplace Fairness

Here is the relevant info, "Pay/compensation discrimination occurs when employees performing substantially equal work do not receive the same pay for their work. It is job content and not job titles that determine whether or not jobs are substantially equal. Federal law looks to see that individuals performing jobs that require substantially equal skill, effort, responsibility, and under similar working conditions are compensated equally for their time."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
No need to be a dick. This link takes you to the law -> Pay or Compensation Discrimination - Workplace Fairness

If you're to damn cynical to actually go to the link here is the relevant info, "Pay/compensation discrimination occurs when employees performing substantially equal work do not receive the same pay for their work. It is job content and not job titles that determine whether or not jobs are substantially equal. Federal law looks to see that individuals performing jobs that require substantially equal skill, effort, responsibility, and under similar working conditions are compensated equally for their time."

I ****ing said there is probably a work around to this but it is actually a law. Can't contribute to a damn conversation in this toxic hellhole without getting attacked.

So how does lowering everyone’s pay (presumably equally) violate that law?

And I am sorry that pointing out how wrong you are makes this a toxic hellhole of being attacked. The internet must be hard for you.

I want to point out that making a claim (paying people different amounts of money for the same work is illegal), then saying the claim is wrong (there are ways around it), but then standing by that claim (that’s the reason why) is just poor conversation skills but I don’t want to keep attacking you. :/

Reactions: 3 users
No need to be a dick. This link takes you to the law -> Pay or Compensation Discrimination - Workplace Fairness

If you're to damn cynical to actually go to the link here is the relevant info, "Pay/compensation discrimination occurs when employees performing substantially equal work do not receive the same pay for their work. It is job content and not job titles that determine whether or not jobs are substantially equal. Federal law looks to see that individuals performing jobs that require substantially equal skill, effort, responsibility, and under similar working conditions are compensated equally for their time."

I ****ing said there is probably a work around to this but it is actually a law. Can't contribute to a damn conversation in this toxic hellhole without getting attacked.

Don't be so dramatic. No one is attacking you. You made a point so be ready to defend it. If you're scared of conflict then don't go online arguing with ppl. Easy peezy.

Reactions: 2 users
This link takes you to the law -> Pay or Compensation Discrimination - Workplace Fairness

Here is the relevant info, "Pay/compensation discrimination occurs when employees performing substantially equal work do not receive the same pay for their work. It is job content and not job titles that determine whether or not jobs are substantially equal. Federal law looks to see that individuals performing jobs that require substantially equal skill, effort, responsibility, and under similar working conditions are compensated equally for their time."
That’s is not all the relevant info. That is simply the definition of discrimination, not a statement that it is illegal. If you actually read the page you linked, you will find that two individuals may be paid different amounts UNLESS the difference in pay is due to a protected class (gender, age, race, etc). You have disproven your own claim.

Reactions: 3 users
That’s is not all the relevant info. That is simply the definition of discrimination, not a statement that it is illegal. If you actually read the page you linked, you will find that two individuals may be paid different amounts UNLESS the difference in pay is due to a protected class (gender, age, race, etc). You have disproven your own claim.

Stop attacking him!

• Haha
They should come up with a term for when useless buzzwords like "toxic" and "incel" are deployed that contribute nothing to the discussion, like Godwin's law

They should come up with a term for when useless buzzwords like "toxic" and "incel" are deployed that contribute nothing to the discussion, like Godwin's law
Stop virtue signaling!

/s

• Haha
I want a 1000 raise a month. Do you want an extra 1000 dollars a month? The obvious choice is to vote for Andrew Yang and fatten our pockets.

I want a 1000 raise a month. Do you want an extra 1000 dollars a month? The obvious choice is to vote for Andrew Yang and fatten our pockets.
I love how the only reason anyone likes this guy is because he's giving away $12k.

Most FIRE could live off that alone.

I love how the only reason anyone likes this guy is because he's giving away $12k.

Most FIRE could live off that alone.

The bots are coming. If you don't give people that money in the long term, there will be violence. The reason to vote for him is to protect our mixed economy. It's either that or flat out Marxism.

The bots are coming. If you don't give people that money in the long term, there will be violence. The reason to vote for him is to protect our mixed economy. It's either that or flat out Marxism.

Don't get my thread off topic.

$12k would be the money we originally lost by not having raises by the time Yang takes office.