Walgreens intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDude559

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently working as a pharmacy tech in the state of Michigan and will start pharmacy school in the fall. Does anyone know if Walgreens promotes their techs to pharmacy intern once they start pharmacy school or do I have to apply for that position?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how Michigan works. Either you get your intern license first year, or you have to complete a year of classes.

After I got my intern license, I had to reapply to be an intern (which took maybe four months), but I got intern back pay from the date I was licensed.

I think as long as you're a good employee, the bump is a formality, but if you're not pulling you're weight they may come up with a "we don't have the budget to pay you as an intern" and want to keep you as a tech.

I think as long as you're a good employee, the bump is a formality, but if you're not pulling you're weight they may come up with a "we don't have the budget to pay you as an intern" and want to keep you as a tech.

I don't think they are legally allowed to keep you as a tech when you have an intern license - they have to hire you/pay you as an intern

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they are legally allowed to keep you as a tech when you have an intern license - they have to hire you/pay you as an intern

Of course they can, as long as you meet whatever the state requires for technicians. It's not like a cafeteria worker at a hospital who completes an MD program automatically gets a physician position.

Of course they can, as long as you meet whatever the state requires for technicians. It's not like a cafeteria worker at a hospital who completes an MD program automatically gets a physician position.

Not true at all. Most states require you to forfeit your tech license once you receive your intern license. Can't work as a tech if you are an intern.

Not true at all. Most states require you to forfeit your tech license once you receive your intern license. Can't work as a tech if you are an intern.

I've honestly never heard that. I've kept up my tech and intern license while I was in school just in case the worst happened and I had to get a job somewhere as a technician.

How can you work as a technician when you gave up that license for your intern license? You can't.

You know there are states that don't require a tech license at all right? And I can confirm that in FL you do NOT need a tech license if you are an intern. It is on the FL BOP website.

Think about it. What can a tech do that an intern cannot? The intern license supersedes any tech license. Unless your BOP specifically forbids an intern working as a tech I do not think your statement is correct.