Walgreens new Paid Parental Leave policy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoughtfulsinner

Investment banking MD gambler
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when this goes into effect? If my wife delivers the baby before this effective date, am I still eligible for the 8 weeks paid leave? Would hate having to delay child birth for a few days just to meet a requirement.

Members don't see this ad.

Want to tell non walgreens employees what this new policy is?

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know when this goes into effect? If my wife delivers the baby before this effective date, am I still eligible for the 8 weeks paid leave? Would hate having to delay child birth for a few days just to meet a requirement.
your guess is as good as anybodys, hopefully they will back-date it

Members don't see this ad :)
8 weeks paid leave! holy cow. Do you have to be married to her? What if someone has four girlfriends and they are all preggo. Do you get 8 weeks off per a child? I feel like this could be abused very easily by individuals with multiple wives (FLDS). I imagine there is a limit in the fine print about how many children count a year.

Reactions: 1 users
Just for comparison, CVS's policy did not allow for coverage of any dad whose baby was born prior to the designated start date of the program. It only pertained to babies born on or after that date.

8 weeks paid leave! holy cow. Do you have to be married to her? What if someone has four girlfriends and they are all preggo. Do you get 8 weeks off per a child? I feel like this could be abused very easily by individuals with multiple wives (FLDS). I imagine there is a limit in the fine print about how many children count a year.

Ya, because paying child support for the next 18 years of that kid's life is worth getting 8 weeks paid leave. People would definitely abuse that.

Back to thread topic, this is a nice change for Wags. Still a POS company running a skeleton crew 24/7 and hanging their pharmds out to dry, but a step in the right direction. I hope more companies follow suit with paid parental leave (if this includes Father's, I'm assuming it does).

Reactions: 2 users
Is CVS's paid leave as well?

Yes but I believe only 4 weeks. As someone mentioned above, CVS did not backdate it. So anyone who had a child before 4/1/18 either took unpaid time off or had to use PTO.

These companies saved millions from the corporate tax cut so this is the least they can do.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes but I believe only 4 weeks. As someone mentioned above, CVS did not backdate it. So anyone who had a child before 4/1/18 either took unpaid time off or had to use PTO.

These companies saved millions from the corporate tax cut so this is the least they can do.

Oh I don’t know about that. I suspect they will find ways to do less.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Most companies spent their tax savings on buybacks to artificially inflate the stock price. That evaporated in the recent bear market.

Reactions: 2 users
Is paid leave 100% of wages pre-tax? In California you can apply for the state's "paid family leave" but it's 6 weeks max and you are paid 55% of weekly wages (non-taxable).

Reactions: 1 user
Non-taxable at the state or federal level? Or both?

Reactions: 1 user
PFL is still subject to federal income tax

Are they giving 8 weeks so they can try out a cheaper new grad as a replacement to see if they can viably replace the seasoned RPh who is off on leave? THAT I'll believe....

If you are a "at will" employee, don't give the company any random reason to terminate your position.

Congrats on you family. It great that the us is finally following policies that's been established in other countries.