Walgreens offer when already beginning another job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicagoboy1984

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I need some advice. So I worked at Walgreens throughout pharmacy school, but as you all know, Walgreens is on a huge hiring freeze. With no choice, I had taken a position at CVS. I am about to start at CVS in early June, and now, I get an e-mail from Walgreens offering me a FT position. I am very torn about what to do. Walgreens is my dream job, has a slightly shorter commute time, pays better, and is the system I am use to. I really want to take the offer, but backing out of CVS now could possibly mean I will be blacklisted from CVS-Caremark. Do any of you think this? What do you think I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

Take the Walgreens job.....you don't owe CVS anything, they will find another someone just as quick to replace you. They don't have to know who you are gonna work for. If they ask why you are leaving just tell them you got a better offer. If they wanna make you feel bad say hey, give me $20,000 more and two more weeks of vacation......its a free market. I think you could ALWAYS ALWAYS go back to CVS.

The hiring freeze is mostly over; at least in my area. Almost all stores are hiring floor people and my district is hiring pharmacists. Funny thing is that they laid off some pharmacists a few months ago. They offered to rehire them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does CVS guarantee satisfactory weekly hours for you in the district you are hired? How about Walgreens? Because I noticed that a trend is that Wag will only guarantee less than 40 hr/wk for new floaters and will make them float to stores in other and much more gettho districts, which can easily be 1-2 hours away from their home stores. And the company also recently make the reimbursement for drive time and mileage insultingly meagre, and the company does not even let you know that you get reimbursed until you find that out yourself from your colleagues. Many new floaters I've talked to are very pissed off at this scheme by Wag. So be sure what you are getting into before switching back to Wag. This company ain't what it used to be.

Last edited:
I guess the good news is you have a job. The bad news is you have to choose between Walgreens and CVS. Kind of like someone asking if you want them to punch you in the face with thier right or left fist. Either way is going to hurt.

Take the higher paying position. If its Walgreens I would not accept the job unless I got it in writting that you can run across the tops of the shelves in the store when you go help people with OTC items.

I guess the good news is you have a job. The bad news is you have to choose between Walgreens and CVS. Kind of like someone asking if you want them to punch you in the face with thier right or left fist. Either way is going to hurt.

Take the higher paying position. If its Walgreens I would not accept the job unless I got it in writting that you can run across the tops of the shelves in the store when you go help people with OTC items.

:laugh:

Both CVS and Walgreens guarantee me 40 hours a week. For Walgreens, however, the supervisor says that if I do not get 40 hours in my district, I may have to float to other districts which could take 60-75min to get to.

Also, Walgreens just makes me a little uneasy. In Chicago area (where I worked as an intern), some 24 hour stores that had pharmacists placed ended up making them float again because of the whole express scripts thing. And this whole express scripts thing just makes me uneasy. Do you think the worst has already passed or will it get even worse? And with the express scripts-MEDCO merger, working for WAGS just makes me a little nervous…..what if they lose the MEDCO contract as well?

Last edited:
At the end of the year, united health will be parting ways with medco, which is a large portion of Medco claims. If they are going with their own pharmacy claims department or a different PBM besides ESI, Walgreens won't be hurting too much. Besides people are still pissed they can't use Walgreens, so I expect a few major companies to change benefits come the new year. Walgreens is focusing more on patient care through MTM and HIV/AIDS training and trying to steer pharmacy into a different future instead of being just a pill mill.

Ultimately the choice is yours. Although I wouldn't mind being blacklisted from cvs...

Reactions: 1 user
At the end of the year, united health will be parting ways with medco, which is a large portion of Medco claims. If they are going with their own pharmacy claims department or a different PBM besides ESI, Walgreens won't be hurting too much. Besides people are still pissed they can't use Walgreens, so I expect a few major companies to change benefits come the new year. Walgreens is focusing more on patient care through MTM and HIV/AIDS training and trying to steer pharmacy into a different future instead of being just a pill mill.

Ultimately the choice is yours. Although I wouldn't mind being blacklisted from cvs...

Does CVS really have a blacklist? Anybody know how it works?

You can have my job at CVS. I QUIT!!

United Health Care while being Medco's largest customer, accounts for only 15% of Medco's volume and 5% of their profit. United Healthcare also owns their own PBM called Prescription Solutions. So look for the United Health Care business to move in that direction.

United Health Care while being Medco's largest customer, accounts for only 15% of Medco's volume and 5% of their profit. United Healthcare also owns their own PBM called Prescription Solutions. So look for the United Health Care business to move in that direction.

Probably because Medco shoves mail order down everyone's throat and they charge outrageous reimbursement to help themselves. I had insurance through Medco and I had a prescription filled at a retail pharmacy. Medco mailed me a pamphlet saying I should use their mail order service and were in the process of setting me up and all I needed to do was call and authorize it. Then they even called me and asked if I wanted mail order. Poor guy on the other end of the phone didn't know what was coming...

Anyway I hate dragging a thread off topic or I could ramble for days about this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably because Medco shoves mail order down everyone's throat and they charge outrageous reimbursement to help themselves. I had insurance through Medco and I had a prescription filled at a retail pharmacy. Medco mailed me a pamphlet saying I should use their mail order service and were in the process of setting me up and all I needed to do was call and authorize it. Then they even called me and asked if I wanted mail order. Poor guy on the other end of the phone didn't know what was coming...

Anyway I hate dragging a thread off topic or I could ramble for days about this.

My point exactly. You ramble with inaccurate information and information that has nothing to do with anything except your disdain for Medco.

Are you getting a store?If yes compare the stores offered with both companies.

At CVS techs also wear lab coats,14 hours day I dont like CVS.They will also make you memorize the instore stuff(milke etc) like how long before should a particular thing should be pulled off from shelves
I work for WAGS but am not happy with them cutting tech hours after express scripts.
Things you need to consider
1-Tech hours where would you get the most help.
2-Management at the store
3-Type of patients coming to the pharmacy
4-CVS location offered to you might not have drive thru which is a plus plus
If you are offered a floating position with either of the companies I am sure you will be abused you will end up having no life till you start saying no to some of the shifts offered

At CVS techs also wear lab coats,14 hours day I dont like CVS.They will also make you memorize the instore stuff(milke etc) like how long before should a particular thing should be pulled off from shelves
I work for WAGS but am not happy with them cutting tech hours after express scripts.
If you are offered a floating position with either of the companies I am sure you will be abused you will end up having no life till you start saying no to some of the shifts offered

Oh, I have such a bright future waiting for me :love:

Does CVS really have a blacklist? Anybody know how it works?

Around P1 year I went to apply for a job to a local CVS, where the Pharmacist directed me to a kiosk in the store to fill out a job application. When describing myself, I tried to say I was accepted to a 6 year Pharm. D program, and was looking at gaining experience in my future career... the P key was broken at this kiosk. I think I spelt it as Fharm D. , needless to say I never got a call back and never have despite being called by both Walgreens and Rite Aid after getting my current job.

I was thinking more in terms of death by Chinese water torture or public stoning?

My point exactly. You ramble with inaccurate information and information that has nothing to do with anything except your disdain for Medco.

Someone is cranky! Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that 80% of Walgreen's Medco claims were United Healthcare. So by their parting ways and going with a different PBM it won't hurt Walgreens as much if at all. So if OP is worried about more hours getting cut from Walgreens, he has some more information. But I'm an idiot for trying to help. Thanks for the cool story about Medco and assuming I hate them and contributing to the OP's decision.

Someone is cranky! Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that 80% of Walgreen's Medco claims were United Healthcare. So by their parting ways and going with a different PBM it won't hurt Walgreens as much if at all. So if OP is worried about more hours getting cut from Walgreens, he has some more information. But I'm an idiot for trying to help. Thanks for the cool story about Medco and assuming I hate them and contributing to the OP's decision.

I'm not sure why this is even relevant because United Healthcare/Medco patients can still fill at Walgreens. The merger with ESI hasn't affected that.

I'm not sure why this is even relevant because United Healthcare/Medco patients can still fill at Walgreens. The merger with ESI hasn't affected that.

Up until the current contract expires and then medco doesn't renew. Had united health still been with them that would have been a large portion of script volume. Would you want to work for an employer that isn't contracted with the two largest PBM's and risk getting laid off?

Up until the current contract expires and then medco doesn't renew. Had united health still been with them that would have been a large portion of script volume. Would you want to work for an employer that isn't contracted with the two largest PBM's and risk getting laid off?

You're talking about it like it's already happened. United Healthcare IS still with Medco and Medco still has a contract with WAG. Through the end of this year, I'd imagine. At any rate, a lot can happen in six+ months. WAG could work out their differences with ESI, United Healthcare could dump Medco, the world could end (it IS 2012, after all), anything.

WAG is hiring in my city, so maybe the world won't end. :laugh:

You're talking about it like it's already happened. United Healthcare IS still with Medco and Medco still has a contract with WAG. Through the end of this year, I'd imagine. At any rate, a lot can happen in six+ months. WAG could work out their differences with ESI, United Healthcare could dump Medco, the world could end (it IS 2012, after all), anything.

WAG is hiring in my city, so maybe the world won't end. :laugh:

United Healthcare is dumping Medco at the end of 2012. They are going in-house with their PBM, Prescription Solutions a.k.a. OptumRx.

Around P1 year I went to apply for a job to a local CVS, where the Pharmacist directed me to a kiosk in the store to fill out a job application. When describing myself, I tried to say I was accepted to a 6 year Pharm. D program, and was looking at gaining experience in my future career... the P key was broken at this kiosk. I think I spelt it as Fharm D. , needless to say I never got a call back and never have despite being called by both Walgreens and Rite Aid after getting my current job.
May I asked what area this was in because CVS hasn't used Kiosk in nearly 2 years- if this area is still using a Kiosk machine they are really behind times.

Let's not go over board they don't MAKE you memorize expiration dtaes- when you scan a carton of milk or baby formula- the register will prompt you to check the expiration date- big deal- you are exaggerating based on a module that all employees had to be aware of concerning expired items.

However as you mention to decide what job you want I agree compare the two stores- I doubt very seriously the pay is going to be significantly different if they are in the same market- but get in writing if you are going to be floating versus having your own store- visit the respective stores where you plan to be working- call the store during different times of the day- see if you get prompt service - if the phone rings forever that's normally a sign that it's poorly staffed or that customer service is not a priority or they are super busy.

However, if you are supposed to sign with CVS- although you don't owe them anything the quicker you tell your supervisor something came up the better it will be- believe it or not I was told it cost roughly a couple of thousands dollars every time CVS hires someone in terms of background checks- drug test- paperwork etc. However, I don't know about "Blaclist" but I would say that if God forbid you choose to go to WAGS and things didn't work out well with WAGS and you called the CVS supervisor looking for a job with CVS I doubt very seriously they will be rolling out the red carpet to welcome you back- it's just the risk you are going to have to take and live with, but at least you are lucky enough to have the option of being offered positions by 2 retails chains- you are in a rare position right now- but do your homework.

May I asked what area this was in because CVS hasn't used Kiosk in nearly 2 years- if this area is still using a Kiosk machine they are really behind times.

I'm a P4 now so it was quite a long time ago, but it was in Brooklyn.

I'm a P4 now so it was quite a long time ago, but it was in Brooklyn.
ok- they have shelved the Kiosks system everything is done via internet.

United Healthcare is dumping Medco at the end of 2012. They are going in-house with their PBM, Prescription Solutions a.k.a. OptumRx.

Yes, I read that upthread. My point is that the other poster was talking about these things like they have already happened, and they have not.

Yes, I read that upthread. My point is that the other poster was talking about these things like they have already happened, and they have not.
This is not speculation. It is already in motion. If I were in the OP's shoes about to make a major career decision, I would like to know everything about the future business prospects of my employer, and then decide whether it is credible or speculation, and how it might affect me.

Sure, we can debate all day about what's going to happen to ESI, Medco and UnitedHealth, but remember that Walgreens will make decisions in this whole PBM debacle based on what is best for their $hareholders. This does not always coincide with our interests, in particular, for prosperous and steady employment. Ignoring the situation could be perilous!

Let's not go over board they don't MAKE you memorize expiration dtaes- when you scan a carton of milk or baby formula- the register will prompt you to check the expiration date- big deal- you are exaggerating based on a module that all employees had to be aware of concerning expired items.

However as you mention to decide what job you want I agree compare the two stores- I doubt very seriously the pay is going to be significantly different if they are in the same market- but get in writing if you are going to be floating versus having your own store- visit the respective stores where you plan to be working- call the store during different times of the day- see if you get prompt service - if the phone rings forever that's normally a sign that it's poorly staffed or that customer service is not a priority or they are super busy.

However, if you are supposed to sign with CVS- although you don't owe them anything the quicker you tell your supervisor something came up the better it will be- believe it or not I was told it cost roughly a couple of thousands dollars every time CVS hires someone in terms of background checks- drug test- paperwork etc. However, I don't know about "Blaclist" but I would say that if God forbid you choose to go to WAGS and things didn't work out well with WAGS and you called the CVS supervisor looking for a job with CVS I doubt very seriously they will be rolling out the red carpet to welcome you back- it's just the risk you are going to have to take and live with, but at least you are lucky enough to have the option of being offered positions by 2 retails chains- you are in a rare position right now- but do your homework.

I am not exaggerating. I actually felt that it was not something a pharmacist needs to learn, if other retail pharmacies can survive without us knowing when a particular in store item needs to be pulled off the shelf cvs should also survive without making the pharmacist learn when blah blah blah in store item needs to be pulled off the shelf
There biennial is a slap on the face.Everyone is different if you didnt feel that way it does not mean that nobody else would.May be the OP will feel bad may be not....OP is looking for advise so I stated so he or she can make an informed decision.

I also think that by us ignoring alot of that kind of stuff is one of the reason our profession is treated the way corporations are treating us today.

I am not exaggerating. I actually felt that it was not something a pharmacist needs to learn, if other retail pharmacies can survive without us knowing when a particular in store item needs to be pulled off the shelf cvs should also survive without making the pharmacist learn when blah blah blah in store item needs to be pulled off the shelf
There biennial is a slap on the face.Everyone is different if you didnt feel that way it does not mean that nobody else would.May be the OP will feel bad may be not....OP is looking for advise so I stated so he or she can make an informed decision.

I also think that by us ignoring alot of that kind of stuff is one of the reason our profession is treated the way corporations are treating us today.

It was a classic over reaction by CVS. The we got in trouble so everyone has to pay bit. CVS expanded to fast and really lost control of alot of things. As evidenced by the millions of dollars in fines they continue to pay for breaches of the law.

There was no control or systems for checking out dates in the front of the store. A close famiy member of mine spent 9 miserable months as a CVS store manager. When he took over the store half the merchandise on the shelf was expired. This was not an isolated incident to his store. Enough people nation wide finally compliained so CVS got in trouble and had to do something.

I do not think they are as bad as Walgreens. If there is anything on the shelf that has expired the store manager gets fired. I know of 2 store managers who were inspected by corporate and they found milk expired in the cooler. Both were immediatly terminated.

It was a classic over reaction by CVS. The we got in trouble so everyone has to pay bit. CVS expanded to fast and really lost control of alot of things. As evidenced by the millions of dollars in fines they continue to pay for breaches of the law.

There was no control or systems for checking out dates in the front of the store. A close famiy member of mine spent 9 miserable months as a CVS store manager. When he took over the store half the merchandise on the shelf was expired. This was not an isolated incident to his store. Enough people nation wide finally compliained so CVS got in trouble and had to do something.

I do not think they are as bad as Walgreens. If there is anything on the shelf that has expired the store manager gets fired. I know of 2 store managers who were inspected by corporate and they found milk expired in the cooler. Both were immediatly terminated.

Don't most stores/chains/etc. subcontract with outside vendors for milk? Wouldn't they be the ones responsible for all the expired/outdate work?

Don't most stores/chains/etc. subcontract with outside vendors for milk? Wouldn't they be the ones responsible for all the expired/outdate work?
I would assume that any chain including grocery stores would have some system where someone is checking and pulling expired items- I wouldn't think this would be the vendors responsibility unless they were bringing in items with short dates. I don't think any system is fool proof on all items- but the electronic check at the register is the last resort- but i would seriously doubt if anyone can walk into any store and not find at least one item that expired based on human error alone. However, to the person who said CVS makes you "remember" dates it's fabricating the truth- perhaps the store managers and shift supervisors have to remember when to pull items- but I assure you that's not a requirement in the pharmacy- when someone comes to the pharmacy register to p/u a med and they also have let's say a gallon of milk- when the milk barcode gets scan their is a message that will appear on the screen reminding you to verify the item is not expired.

How hard is it to "remember" to check a date when the register prompts you to do it when you scan an item that you should check the date for? :confused:

There is no requirement to memorize anything. It is a hard stop - the register physically stops scanning and will not let you do any other function until you input that the item in question is not expired. Usually the exp date is next to the barcode anyway, it is not really any extra work at all just to look at a date and make sure that the item is not expired. :rolleyes:

I do not know how they get the milk. I now from the same close relative, who is now with Wags, that if any outdated milk or eggs is found by a corporate inspector the store manager is fired. He knows from seening it happen.

Thank you. I think I will just stick with CVS. In this economy, I do not want to burn any bridges. Plus, with the unsteady situation of Walgreens and ESI/MEDCO, I don't think being a new floater for WAGS would be the best thing right now.....

This is not speculation. It is already in motion. If I were in the OP's shoes about to make a major career decision, I would like to know everything about the future business prospects of my employer, and then decide whether it is credible or speculation, and how it might affect me.

Sure, we can debate all day about what's going to happen to ESI, Medco and UnitedHealth, but remember that Walgreens will make decisions in this whole PBM debacle based on what is best for their $hareholders. This does not always coincide with our interests, in particular, for prosperous and steady employment. Ignoring the situation could be perilous!

Thank you. I think I will just stick with CVS. In this economy, I do not want to burn any bridges. Plus, with the unsteady situation of Walgreens and ESI/MEDCO, I don't think being a new floater for WAGS would be the best thing right now.....

I think that sounds like a good idea. Plus, it gives you the opportunity to work at another company and if things ever go bad with CVS or you decided to leave to go back to Walgreens, at least you've had past experience with Walgreens since you worked for them as an intern. Just politely decline your offer with Walgreens, but tell them thank you for it anyway.