Walgreens PTO 2020 Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oversea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Are we able to carry over more than 40 hours of PTO to the next year if we don’t use it? And when they say “ next year”, do they mean fiscal year or just calendar year? I have around 70 hours of PTO. I don’t know if I will lose some of them if I don’t use it by the end of August 31/2020. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! Are we able to carry over more than 40 hours of PTO to the next year if we don’t use it? And when they say “ next year”, do they mean fiscal year or just calendar year? I have around 70 hours of PTO. I don’t know if I will lose some of them if I don’t use it by the end of August 31/2020. Thanks in advance!
Go to employee.walgreens.com >mrHR > search PTO. It will tell you your PTO benefit schedule based on your years of service.

after covid is over or when they decide to limit it again , you get to accrue up to100% of year accrual days of PTO plus 40 hours. You won’t lose anyPTO...your unused will move over the frozen PTO.
Essentially you will not lose any hours if you don’t use it by Aug2020. Especially when you only have 70. I think people get confused when they stated max 40 hours can be rolled over, that’s not the case. It’s max 100% of your accrual limit plus 40 hours. Anything over that amount would not carry over but instead go into frozen PTO.
For instance, having been at Walgreens for 5 years I get 20 days (160 hours) annual accrual days- plus 40 hours would mean 200 hours total PTO I can get that year max then I stop accruing PTO. If I had more than 200 hours of PTO when the new limits begin then that will go into my frozen PTO bank..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Go to employee.walgreens.com >mrHR > search PTO. It will tell you your PTO benefit schedule based on your years of service.

after covid is over or when they decide to limit it again , you get to accrue up to100% of year accrual days of PTO plus 40 hours. You won’t lose anyPTO...your unused will move over the frozen PTO.
Essentially you will not lose any hours if you don’t use it by Aug2020. Especially when you only have 70. I think people get confused when they stated max 40 hours can be rolled over, that’s not the case. It’s max 100% of your accrual limit plus 40 hours. Anything over that amount would not carry over but instead go into frozen PTO.
For instance, having been at Walgreens for 5 years I get 20 days (160 hours) annual accrual days- plus 40 hours would mean 200 hours total PTO I can get that year max then I stop accruing PTO. If I had more than 200 hours of PTO when the new limits begin then that will go into my frozen PTO bank..
i believe this is incorrect. Once the covid stuff is over, if we go over our max pto accrual we will lose those hours, they will not go to banked frozen

Members don't see this ad :)
i believe this is incorrect. Once the covid stuff is over, if we go over our max pto accrual we will lose those hours, they will not go to banked frozen

what's going on that's different during covid?

edit: ohhhh ok just saw this:

"Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the PTO Schedule change that was planned to be effective in April 2020 has been postponed until further notice."

So if I don’t use my PTO by the end of August, I still have 70 hours to use for the next year. Is it correct?

So if I don’t use my PTO by the end of August, I still have 70 hours to use for the next year. Is it correct?
it goes by calendar year, not fiscal. for now you wont lose it, but we are in limbo as we wait for delayed new policy to roll out

Reactions: 1 user

Even before COVID was widespread there was an update announced via COMPASS that employee will not lose these hours. I don’t know what’s so hard to understand.

withCOVID they are just referring to the NEW max accrual limits will be postpone until further notice (the current max is higher than new max).

here is word for word from document:

In the future, the Maximum Accrual Limit will be reduced to 100% of one year’s allocated accrual hours plus 40 hours,
unless required otherwise by law. When this change goes into effect, no team member will lose accrued and available
PTO time.
Instead, if a team member has a PTO balance above the new Maximum Accrual Limit, their unused, accruedPTO time above this new limit will be moved
into their Frozen Vacation Bank

Last edited:

even if the new rule is implemented this August, if you have only 70 hours, you’ll still accrue more PTO past August and would not lose any hours. OnlyIF you’ve reached you max limit (based on your time of service)THEN you’ll stop accruing and if there’s anything over the max limit by next year thats unused it will be transferred to frozen bank as stated before.

Even before COVID was widespread there was an update announced via COMPASS that employee will not lose these hours. I don’t know what’s so hard to understand.

withCOVID they are just referring to the NEW max accrual limits will be postpone until further notice (the current max is higher than new max).

here is word for word from document:
that transfer to frozen bank only happens once on the effective date. everything accrued over max thereafter will be lost

that transfer to frozen bank only happens once on the effective date. everything accrued over max thereafter will be lost

In a sense yes because once you’ve reached the max limit, you stop accruing. I guess that’s why it’s called a limit- But I’ve always throught there was a limit and that they’re just reducing it with this new policy.

In a sense yes because once you’ve reached the max limit, you stop accruing. I guess that’s why it’s called a limit- But I’ve always throught there was a limit and that they’re just reducing it with this new policy.
right, which will create an awkward situation once the effective date comes. Say it is January 1st and you are over the new max. So anything over the new max goes to frozen bank, reducing your PTO to the new max. Now you need to immediately take some PTO in January or you will be losing what you earn right off the bat. I dont think theyve thought that through very well. A bunch of RPh will want to take PTO that same month

right, which will create an awkward situation once the effective date comes. Say it is January 1st and you are over the new max. So anything over the new max goes to frozen bank, reducing your PTO to the new max. Now you need to immediately take some PTO in January or you will be losing what you earn right off the bat. I dont think theyve thought that through very well. A bunch of RPh will want to take PTO that same month

You don’t lose what you can’t earn tho. So take a day off here and there is good for the mind. It’s not like company let’s us use the entire 20-25 days of PTO in one go always- need to get special permission for more than 2 weeks.