Walgreens Scholarships and Tuition Assistance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TC0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I don't think I'm the first one to ask about it, but here goes: I'm in my first year of pharmacy school, currently working twice a month (give or take) at Walgreens. I have worked at Walgreens (as a tech) for 4 years previously. In a week, I will be signing a contract for the Walgreens Scholarship, which basically guarantees me 10k as long as I work for Walgreens for 4 years after graduating. I don't mind this, as I intended to work for Walgreens upon graduating anyways.

Here is where I'm confused: I know that pharmacy is becoming very saturated, and I want to secure my position within Walgreens. I've been told by my district hiring manager (who loves me) that he intends to hire me when I graduate as long as my grades are solid. Supposedly 5-7 pharmacists will be retiring that year in our district. At the same time, I'm weary of corporate America and I'm weary of pharmacy saturation. I know that none of you are fortune tellers, but does Walgreens usually hire people who take their scholarship? Should I have any concerns about it? I'm basically worried that in 4 years, I'll go in hoping for a job and hear, "Whoops, sorry, things changed." Again, I know none of you are fortune tellers, but any advice or first-hand accounts help.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that you're more likely to be hired if they made you sign a contract in order to receive the tuition money. CVS gave me a $1,000 scholarship but it was a no strings attached scholarship. I didn't apply to CVS my last year nor did they call me up asking for their money back.

In a week, I will be signing a contract for the Walgreens Scholarship, which basically guarantees me 10k as long as I work for Walgreens for 4 years after graduating. I don't mind this, as I intended to work for Walgreens upon graduating anyways.

Curiously, is it 10k/year for all 4 years (40k total) or 10k for the entire 4 years? I'm doing something kind of similar, and I'm getting $5k/year with no strings attached - I don't have to work for them once I'm done.

Members don't see this ad :)
MY 2 CENTS TO THOSE WHO PLAN TO ACCEPT WALGREEN'S SO CALLED "SCHOLARSHIP":

STAY AWAY FROM IT!

IT IS BASICALLY A LOAN WITH COMPLEX STRINGS ATTACHED. I AM A LIVING PROOF THAT YOU HAVE TO PAY BACK EVERY SINGLE PENNY + INTEREST IF YOU DECIDE NOT TO WORK THE ENTIRE TIME. SEE THE BILL (ATTACHEMENT) WALGREENS SENT ME.

WE WERE GROSSLY MISINFORMED ABOUT THE "SCHOLARSHIP" BACK IN PHARMACY SCHOOL.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 410

STAY AWAY FROM IT!

IT IS BASICALLY A LOAN WITH COMPLEX STRINGS ATTACHED. I AM A LIVING PROOF THAT YOU HAVE TO PAY BACK EVERY SINGLE PENNY + INTEREST IF YOU DECIDE NOT TO WORK THE ENTIRE TIME. SEE THE BILL (ATTACHEMENT) WALGREENS SENT ME.

Well obviously. If it is clearly stated that you will have to pay the money back if you do not complete your contract, that is what you will have to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Well obviously. If it is clearly stated that you will have to pay the money back if you do not complete your contract, that is what you will have to do.

To be honest, I was mainly asking if most of the people who get the scholarship are given full time positions for however long their scholarship requires. If it secures you a job there for 4 years, that really isn't an awful deal given the current job market. That was my main question.

No. It does not secure you a job. Do not accept their blood money. I assure you, if you have multiple years of WAG experience you will be competitive for WAGs jobs, but don't indenture yourself for such little money.

I signed up for the contract when I was a student. NO, it does not mean they have to hire you. The contract is ONLY BINDING ON YOUR PART. It is not binding on their part. In the event that "market conditions" change and they are unable to offer you a position, they will suggest you move to Texas/Kansas/Montana/ or some 2000 miles away for a position in another district or you don't get anything at all. So don't you think that you signed for "contract," you have a job secured.

STAY AWAY FROM IT!

I signed that contract too and it clearly states that you have to pay back all the money plus interest! I don't know if someone lied to you or if you didn't read the paper. But it is as clear as day.

Getting hired depends on your district supervisor and probably the relationship you have with them. I was on scholarship and got hired full time in the Bay Area. Prior to graduating, I sat down with my DM and discussed employment; it was pretty much based off the impression I'd made as an intern/tech. Also, it's beneficial if you get licensed asap after graduation, that way, you're more likely to get all the hours.

That being said, I haven't worked there in like a year but I've yet to receive the bill for the scholarship...I'm afraid to look at the interest rate :/

Last edited:
Getting hired depends on your district supervisor and probably the relationship you have with them. I was on scholarship and got hired full time in the Bay Area. Prior to graduating, I sat down with my DM and discussed employment; it was pretty much based off the impression I'd made as an intern/tech. Also, it's beneficial if you get licensed asap after graduation, that way, you're more likely to get all the hours.

That being said, I haven't worked there in like a year but I've yet to receive the bill for the scholarship...I'm afraid to look at the interest rate :/

I have a great relationship with my DM and other pharmacists, all of whom have told me that they "look forward to working with me" after I graduate. They have even told me how many openings they expect that year, as if to say that one is reserved for me. While that is all great news, I'm mostly concerned about a million unseen variables, such as being offered a part-time position, and then still being liable to work at Walgreens for four years (or repay the "scholarship" money). If I am offered a full-time position for four years, I have no issues with that at all.