Walgreens to no longer accept transfer coupons

Started by Pharfalle
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I doubt they are doing it for any admirable reasons, but I am glad nonetheless!

I hope it is true. What ever the big 2 do (CVS and Walgreens) all the rest follow.

I work for Kroger and we are giving away coupons to anyone and everyone. We are more like an ATM machine right now than a pharmacy with all the $25 dollar gift cards we are handing out. All of which have done nothing to help our sales or script count.
 
I guess someone up in corporate temporarily pulled their head out of their ass and realized transfer coupons are not working as intened. It is the same 5% of patients who scam the system and continually transfer their prescriptions every month to whoever has a coupon.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hope it is true. What ever the big 2 do (CVS and Walgreens) all the rest follow.

I work for Kroger and we are giving away coupons to anyone and everyone. We are more like an ATM machine right now than a pharmacy with all the $25 dollar gift cards we are handing out. All of which have done nothing to help our sales or script count.

Some pharmacists now will even honor the coupon for meds on the $4 list if the patient..I mean customer..asks for it. That's like what...$21 of free money to use on groceries? What a deal for them.
 
Some pharmacists now will even honor the coupon for meds on the $4 list if the patient..I mean customer..asks for it. That's like what...$21 of free money to use on groceries? What a deal for them.

I received an e-mail from corporate that said anyone who asks for one gets one. They also said they would not tolerate any complaints from customers concerning coupons. I have had serveral people walk up and say "I need to pick up my prescription and I want my $25." New, refill, transfer, $4 generic doesn't matter. They ask for $25 they get it. Real smart business plan isn't it.👎thumbdown👎

I take a more practical view on it. I still think transfer coupons are stupid and totally ineffective for the intended purpose. However, the $25 has to be spent on groceries in the store. My alotted hours in the pharmacy are based on script count not on sales. If I transfer in 50 prescriptions I get about 6 more hours of tech help. It took $1250 of sales out of the pharmacy but hey who cares its only money right!
 
Last edited:
My alotted hours in the pharmacy are based on script count not on sales. If I transfer in 50 prescriptions I get about 6 more hours of tech help. It took $1250 of sales out of the pharmacy but hey who cares its only money right!
Our SP always jokes "We're here to make friends, not money."

We don't do coupons (I believe NY won't let us anymore) but its still the same basic idea. You want 3 month supply for $15, even though its not on the list? Sure! You want your amoxicillin for less than cost? Sounds good! You say you didn't pay that much last time? Fine, how much do you want to pay?
 
Our SP always jokes "We're here to make friends, not money."

We don't do coupons (I believe NY won't let us anymore) but its still the same basic idea. You want 3 month supply for $15, even though its not on the list? Sure! You want your amoxicillin for less than cost? Sounds good! You say you didn't pay that much last time? Fine, how much do you want to pay?

Your training is complete! You are ready to be a retail pharmacist.
 
A friend of mine who is a long time WG pharmacist said that they typically have only offered coupons a few times a year or when a new store opened anyway. Either way I feel bad for you retail guys, coupons or no coupons. Hospital has some of its own headaches, but nothing like some of the things endured in the retail realm; though on the bright side you do get to interact with some good people too I'm sure, so it can still be a rewarding job👍
 
correct me if im wrong, but doesnt coupons artificially increase store sales since theyre buying back their own stuff essentially which looks like better earnings and drives a stock price up? you know if it was done enough to be significant...resulting in a big ol scam?