Walgreens vs Costco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

April Lee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Im a new member here and trying to gain some experience by working as a tech. Can anyone recommend me where to work? I'm deciding between Costco and Walgreens and I wanted your opinions as to where the best place is to work. I'm looking for a comfortable environment to work at. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

you'll have a hard time working for costco... they prefer regular store employees when there are openings in the pharmacy. However, if you are a licensed tech, you can apply directly, though it's still difficult due to the lack of positions/hours.

Even pharmacists have a hard time getting hired at Costco.

Goodluck!

Costco is an amazingly great company to work for. Looking at the difference between them and Sams, first you can find employees and second they are cheery and happy to help you. Like it was said, they don't have a huge amount of turnover so it won't be easy. Try looking at the independents in your area as well. They are usually really great places to work for too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Im a new member here and trying to gain some experience by working as a tech. Can anyone recommend me where to work? I'm deciding between Costco and Walgreens and I wanted your opinions as to where the best place is to work. I'm looking for a comfortable environment to work at. Thanks!

you'll have a hard time working for costco... they prefer regular store employees when there are openings in the pharmacy. However, if you are a licensed tech, you can apply directly, though it's still difficult due to the lack of positions/hours.

Even pharmacists have a hard time getting hired at Costco.

Goodluck!

I applied at a costco in colorado two weeks ago and they never called me. If I wanted the job badly (I realized that I don't need a job and should stay in school full time), I would go there and give them the resume and a copy of the PTCB and who knows if they would hire me or not.

Walgreens could be hiring. I would say that you need to apply everywhere and the best part is that the application doesn't have a fee. But remember that pharmacy technicians jobs are harder to find because the demand for it is decreasing every year and the Pharmacist job nationwide demand is increasing every year.

Anyways, good luck in your job search!:luck:

Last edited:
Ya, when applying as a tech, you don't always get to choose were you want to work. Its more of a "Who will be willing to take me green" situation

But remember that pharmacy technicians jobs are harder to find because the demand for it is decreasing every year and the Pharmacist job nationwide demand is increasing every year.

Eh? This doesn't make sense. As pharmacist demand rises, for most states, tech. demand should rise in lock step due to ratio restrictions most BOP's have wrt staffing.

Eh? This doesn't make sense. As pharmacist demand rises, for most states, tech. demand should rise in lock step due to ratio restrictions most BOP's have wrt staffing.

I meant like the access to pharmacy tech is a lot easier and almost anyone can get the pharmacy technician job with only a high school diploma which makes the job search more challenging. The pharmacist is in huge demand because nobody wants to go to school for 6-8 years.

Thank you for your advice. I will try applying to both and see where it takes me. Will a Resume, Cover Letter, and a copy of my PTCB Certificate suffice?

Also, I'm interested in working with elderly patients at a pharmacy. Any idea or directions I should turn to for this? Thanks!

pharmd321 -- ok that makes more sense

april lee -- goodluck, i wouldn't even put in your cert in there, just mention on the resume you're PTCB certified. Does your state require tech. licensing? that might be one more thing you need to do.

Thank you for your advice. I will try applying to both and see where it takes me. Will a Resume, Cover Letter, and a copy of my PTCB Certificate suffice?

Also, I'm interested in working with elderly patients at a pharmacy. Any idea or directions I should turn to for this? Thanks!

pharmd321 -- ok that makes more sense

april lee -- goodluck, i wouldn't even put in your cert in there, just mention on the resume you're PTCB certified. Does your state require tech. licensing? that might be one more thing you need to do.

I will have to agree with confettiflyer on this because the pharmacies don't really care about your copy of the PTCB. I actually did that a couple weeks ago when I applied at Safeway. I applied first online then went to the store but the pharmacy manager wasn't there so the store manager got the resume and copy of my PTCB. It might have not made to the pharmacy manager, who knows, or maybe they are not hiring anymore, but the store has it and never called me even though the store manager saw me in person. I would suggest you to see the Pharmacy manager only, not anybody else and do bring a copy of your ptcb just in case.

So, yes, put the abbreviation of the pharmacy tech in your resume. The director at my school (health education resources of denver) told me that the only thing you need to put in your resume to show that your certified, put the CphT on there like this:

First and Last name CphT

Just one more question

When I submit a resume, does it HAVE to be one page or can it be two? Thanks!

One page. Definitely.

What the heck would you put on page 2? I don't know of anyone under the age of 35 that would require two pages on a resume.

One page. Definitely.

What the heck would you put on page 2? I don't know of anyone under the age of 35 that would require two pages on a resume.

Maybe she had a lot of jobs in the past?

Your right though, my mom's resume is like 50 pages or something ridiculous because of all the buildings she built in brazil.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, I remember hiring back when I was a manager at my old job ages ago...some of these fresh college grads knew jack squat about what to put on a resume.

People were putting the most irrelevant info, like what class subjects they took that had nothing to do with finance. I once saw a two page resume go on about every stupid little club they happened to be a member of, and exact locations they have traveled to.

But yeah, I got a good laugh. Key take home message of this point: know your audience, and put relevant info!

Curious, who pays more? Walgreen's or Costco?

from what i've heard from others......go costco

Curious, who pays more? Walgreen's or Costco?

My brother used to work in a costco in colorado.

he started at $10/hour and was in the food department making chickens. I am sure techs get more paid but the company expect techs to be certified or licensed and or registered, if your state requires.

I think Walgreens told me over summer that the starting wage is around 8 bucks or so an hour.

Last edited:
Worked at Costco Pharmacy for the past 2 years.

I wanted to work at the pharmacy at first and they made me work at the front end assisting cashiers and they told me they would put me in at the pharmacy if openings were available. Luckily someone got fired a month into employment(I was not certified at the time).

Started off in pharmacy at employee base pay 10 bucks an hour (employee base pay is now 11 bucks!) and rates increase at good rates.
Great benefits and free samples!
Also if you are certified you can get hired with a negotiated wage.

I enjoy every minute working at Costco. They are known to treat they're employees very well. Most likely apply online and try going over to the Costco pharmacy and speak with the pharm supervisor there to see if openings are available and that you applied to work there. You might have to start at the front end though. Good luck and hope that helps!

Last edited:
only knock at working at the pharmacy though is that if you are employed and do become certified you get about a 1-1.50 dollar raise :(. But if you are already certified with experience you can negotiate a decent wage. My other employees have done that.

thanks for the info! Hope to hear back from Costco soon!!!

I have friends who work as pharmacists at both and each are pretty pleased. As far as I can tell they both do a great job of taking care of their employees and Costco gives great employee discounts. Seeing as both are rather large corporations, I would recommend choosing which ever has more room for market growth.

Worked at Costco Pharmacy for the past 2 years.

I wanted to work at the pharmacy at first and they made me work at the front end assisting cashiers and they told me they would put me in at the pharmacy if openings were available. Luckily someone got fired a month into employment(I was not certified at the time).

Started off in pharmacy at employee base pay 10 bucks an hour (employee base pay is now 11 bucks!) and rates increase at good rates.
Great benefits and free samples!
Also if you are certified you can get hired with a negotiated wage.

I enjoy every minute working at Costco. They are known to treat they're employees very well. Most likely apply online and try going over to the Costco pharmacy and speak with the pharm supervisor there to see if openings are available and that you applied to work there. You might have to start at the front end though. Good luck and hope that helps!

Oh wow, I didn't expect that the pharmacy techs make the same amount of money per hour as my brother did in the chicken department...

He told me pretty much the same thing as you said: good company, they treat you good, free samples:laugh:, and now it is 11 bucks an hour?!

EDIT: I just called the new Costco that opened in August and they already have techs....so I see what you mean that I would probably have to work in front end and wait until a tech gets fired...

Last edited: