Walmart to open a DENTAL clinic.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So it begins...
[youtube]

Ah. Major competition for Align Tech and all the GPs offering Invisalign. Never been a fan of Align Tech. And I believe Align supplies aligners to SDC at a major discount. This is going to be fun. Hope I have enough popcorn.
The enemy of my enemy is my friend. lol.

Members don't see this ad.

It has been bad like this for more than 20 years…long before I became a dentist. Dentists actually make more now than they did 20 years ago. I had worked as a GP for a year before I went to school for ortho. My starting salary as a GP was $250/day. My starting salary for ortho was $800/day. Today new grad GP's in CA make at least $550/day…and orthodontists at the corp make $1000-1500/day. Two major problems that today new grad dentists are facing are:

1. High student loan debt….about $200-300k more than what we, older dentists, owed.

2. Over-saturation due to openings of new dental schools. There were about 55 dental schools during my time. Now there are about 70 schools.

To make $$$, it's important to keep the overhead low when you start a practice.

Quality doesn’t necessarily go down when you treat high patient volume. With high patient volume, your work is more steady and non-stop throughout the day. For offices that have lower patient volume because they don’t accept lot of insurances, there are empty slots in the appt book and the doctors usually sit around doing nothing. So if you are the type of person who likes to work non-stop and doesn’t want to take breaks in between patients (so you can make more $$$), accept a lot of insurances. It should take no longer 10-15 minutes to do a filling….spending longer time to drill the same tooth may make things worse.

That's true, dental income has increased a lot since 2000. But the highest it ever was was around 2008, and then it has never bounced back from the recession. That was probably the true "golden age of dentistry" income wise atleast.

With all the new issues facing dentistry like saturation, lower imbursements, dental therapists etc. who knows if income will ever bounce back. That will be concerning because everything will continue to get more expensive due to inflation. Houses are way more expensive than before, cars are way more expensive than before as well. Not to mention the loans.... 150k 20 years ago was a lot of money, lot of purchasing power. 150k today is still pretty good, you can afford a nice suburban home. 150k 20 years from now and you can barely afford a 2 bed apartment.

That's true, dental income has increased a lot since 2000. But the highest it ever was was around 2008, and then it has never bounced back from the recession. That was probably the true "golden age of dentistry" income wise atleast.

With all the new issues facing dentistry like saturation, lower imbursements, dental therapists etc. who knows if income will ever bounce back. That will be concerning because everything will continue to get more expensive due to inflation. Houses are way more expensive than before, cars are way more expensive than before as well. Not to mention the loans.... 150k 20 years ago was a lot of money, lot of purchasing power. 150k today is still pretty good, you can afford a nice suburban home. 150k 20 years from now and you can barely afford a 2 bed apartment.
It's true that $150k was a lot 20 years ago but the average income of a new grad dentist was only $70-80k/year. It's also true that dental income has not increased since the recession. I have not raised the tx fee since I started my very first office in 2006 because I still need new patients to come in to replace the patients, who are done with their ortho treatments. My base salary from my P/T job at the corp has stayed the same since the recession....and my bonuses have decreased significantly. The reason I bring home more money now than I did in the past is I have less debt (mortage debt is the only debt I have left) to pay back now.

Don't think that we, older dentists, had much easier time. It was easier for us but to get to where we are now, many of us had to work 6-7 days/week. Until now, I still have to work on Saturdays and Sundays....and will probably continue to work like this for many more years. Once you spoil your patients with the weekend hours, it's hard take these away from them. With much higher student loan debts than us, you, millenial dentists, may not be able to afford to live in a 1+mil house and drive a 100+k car like us. But if you live outside of CA, there are plenty of nice houses that cost $500k or less. With $50k, you can still get a very nice BMW....at least a 4 series. Just work hard and you will be fine. At least being a dentist, you won't have to worry about getting laid off or getting replaced by a younger guy when you reach 50 like many of the engineers.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's true that $150k was a lot 20 years ago but the average income of a new grad dentist was only $70-80k/year. It's also true that dental income has not increased since the recession. I have not raised the tx fee since I started my very first office in 2006 because I still need new patients to come in to replace the patients, who are done with their ortho treatments. My base salary from my P/T job at the corp has stayed the same since the recession....and my bonuses have decreased significantly. The reason I bring home more money now than I did in the past is I have less debt (mortage debt is the only debt I have left) to pay back now.

Don't think that we, older dentists, had much easier time. It was easier for us but to get to where we are now, many of us had to work 6-7 days/week. Until now, I still have to work on Saturdays and Sundays....and will probably continue to work like this for many more years. Once you spoil your patients with the weekend hours, it's hard take these away from them. With much higher student loan debts than us, you, millenial dentists, may not be able to afford to live in a 1+mil house and drive a 100+k car like us. But if you live outside of CA, there are plenty of nice houses that cost $500k or less. With $50k, you can still get a very nice BMW....at least a 4 series. Just work hard and you will be fine. At least being a dentist, you won't have to worry about getting laid off or getting replaced by a younger guy when you reach 50 like many of the engineers.

Oh yeah definitely, a 500k house in the suburbs still gets you a pretty nice house. However affording a 500k house on 150k salary is still pretty difficult, especially if you have student loans as well. And in around 20 years when most of the pre-dentals are shopping for houses, 500k will probably buy you a small 1-2 bedroom house, unless you live in Texas or very rural.

I suspect the next generation of dentists won't be living like dentists anymore, they will most likely be living like your average middle class blue collar worker, like a trade worker. The advantage other careers like engineering is that their income keeps increasing according to inflation, they get pay raises, promotions etc. I still prefer dentistry though, because as a business owner you technically have unlimited potential. And of course job security like you said.

But if I end up working for Walmart one day....oh boy...

Oh yeah definitely, a 500k house in the suburbs still gets you a pretty nice house. However affording a 500k house on 150k salary is still pretty difficult, especially if you have student loans as well. And in around 20 years when most of the pre-dentals are shopping for houses, 500k will probably buy you a small 1-2 bedroom house, unless you live in Texas or very rural.

I suspect the next generation of dentists won't be living like dentists anymore, they will most likely be living like your average middle class blue collar worker, like a trade worker. The advantage other careers like engineering is that their income keeps increasing according to inflation, they get pay raises, promotions etc. I still prefer dentistry though, because as a business owner you technically have unlimited potential. And of course job security like you said.
I hope you won't keep making $150k for the rest of your praticing career. I hope you'll think about opening up your own practice some day....and make many times more
But if I end up working for Walmart one day....oh boy...
There's nothing wrong with working for Walmart, especially when you have a $500k debt to pay back. I currently work for a dental chain, which is no different than working at Walmart's dental offices..... and I am not ashamed of this.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope you won't keep making $150k for the rest of your praticing career. I hope you'll think about opening up your own practice some day....and make many times more

There's nothing wrong with working for Walmart, especially when you have a $500k debt to pay back. I currently work for a dental chain, which is no different than working at Walmart's dental offices..... and I am not ashamed of this.

Oh yeah for sure, I was just quoting the average dentist. Some will be making less than 150k, some will make more. I wouldn't go into dentistry if I planned on being an associate forever, then I would have just gone medicine.
The Walmart thing was just a joke, many people start out at Walmart (min wage) and move on to bigger things, and here we are ending up back at Walmart.

Oh yeah for sure, I was just quoting the average dentist. Some will be making less than 150k, some will make more. I wouldn't go into dentistry if I planned on being an associate forever, then I would have just gone medicine.
The Walmart thing was just a joke, many people start out at Walmart (min wage) and move on to bigger things, and here we are ending up back at Walmart.
It's good that you have this thinking in your head that you will open your own office some day. You will be fine. When I was a student like you, I never thought that I could ever own a practice because I thought I wasn't good enough...I am shy and anti-social, English is not my first language, and my plan was to practice in superaturated market in CA. That's why before graduation, I sold most of my dental/ortho instruments to my dental classmates and co-residents. I had worked for someone else for 4+ years before I finally had the courage to set up my first office.

Ah. Major competition for Align Tech and all the GPs offering Invisalign. Never been a fan of Align Tech. And I believe Align supplies aligners to SDC at a major discount. This is going to be fun. Hope I have enough popcorn.
The enemy of my enemy is my friend. lol.
For me, this is the early stages of the direction ortho is heading. For starters, let’s look at the $$$. SDC alone did an average of $60-70 million a month the first 6 months of this year. That shows the demand for their products is very very strong. SDC has expanded the network of orthodontists they built within their company pretty significantly as the company went through a rapid growth the past 2-3 years. There will be more orthodontist jobs offered by SDC and the likes as they continue to grow.

The cost to train an orthodontist today is $500-800k, and rising - probably getting closer to the higher end of that range in few years. That level of debt is discouraging to open or buy a practice at $300-400k. So the future of ortho will lean more and more to associateship. As Teledentistry expands with direct consumer services, the orthodontist will be working more remotely and at key points of care in the future. Traditional ortho will still be available, but more likely under partnership with pediatric dentists.

Last edited:
For me, this is the early stages of the direction ortho is heading. For starters, let’s look at the $$$. SDC alone did an average of $60-70 million a month the first 6 months of this year. That shows the demand for their products is very very strong. SDC has expanded the network of orthodontists they built within their company pretty significantly as the company went through a rapid growth the past 2-3 years. There will be more orthodontist jobs offered by SDC and the likes as they continue to grow.

The cost to train an orthodontist today is $500-800k, and rising - probably getting closer to the higher end of that range in few years. That level of debt is discouraging to open or buy a practice at $300-400k. So the future of ortho will lean more and more to associateship. As Teledentistry expands with direct consumer services, the orthodontist will be working more remotely and at key points of care in the future. Traditional ortho will still be available, but more likely under partnership with pediatric dentists.

Looks like I'll be applying for that greeter job at Walmart.

I am afraid you won’t be able to because this job will be taken over by robots.
Oooh that's something else. A ton of careers won't exist because of AI in the next 50 years, and a bunch of new careers will possibly be created. I think dentistry is relatively safe though, but I don't see how careers like finance are not at risk, especially when AI can crunch numbers better than humans already.

Looks like I'll be applying for that greeter job at Walmart.
Walmart announced their first stand-alone medical clinic yesterday.

CVS will follow suit and also announced their new HealthHub concept store will reach four U.S. metropolitan areas and 50 locations by the end of THIS year as part of a major expansion. The HealthHub rollout will grow to 1,500 locations by the end of 2021, or about 500 HealthHubs a year. The HealthHubs are outperforming CVS' traditional stores on a variety of measures. CVS expects Aetna’s more than 22 million health plan members to be guided to CVS stores and the HealthHUBs in particular.

So yes, medicine and dentistry are both being disrupted.

Walmart announced their first stand-alone medical clinic yesterday.

CVS will follow suit and also announced their new HealthHub concept store will reach four U.S. metropolitan areas and 50 locations by the end of THIS year as part of a major expansion. The HealthHub rollout will grow to 1,500 locations by the end of 2021, or about 500 HealthHubs a year. The HealthHubs are outperforming CVS' traditional stores on a variety of measures. CVS expects Aetna’s more than 22 million health plan members to be guided to CVS stores and the HealthHUBs in particular.

So yes, medicine and dentistry are both being disrupted.

Let's not also forget what seems to be more and more of a paradigm shift in the thought process of so many these days, and if one wants to attribute it to the mantra's of many a politician opining for "free" healthcare for all and that healthcare is a "right" which is that if something isn't covered by their insurance, or if one isn't an in network provider, than it either isn't needed or they shouldn't go see that out of network provider, This expansion of the CVS/Aetna med clinics is likely to have a noticeable effect for many providers. Just think at how relatively quickly the notion that one gets their annual flu shots at their physicians office verses at their local pharmacy has occurred and then it's not that much of a leap to see where this can expand to.

Unfortunately I fear that there's likely some very turbulent waters ahead in how not just dentistry, but healthcare in general is delivered, and that's going to have some interesting consequences for many who make their living in the direct patient healthcare industry, especially if they don't grasp what a paradigm shift may bring

Members don't see this ad :)
This not only affects private practice dentists, but when you have the big boys (Walmart, CVS, SDC, list soon to get longer and longer) getting into the dentistry and health care game. They will also disrupt the small and medium sized dental Corps. I work for a top ten sized Dental Corp company and I can tell you that the competition for patients is getting tougher. The Corps originally only had to compete with private practice. Now they are competing with other Corps. There are so many in the saturated areas I work in. Now you can add the Big Box deep pocketed players into the game. More and more saturation. It's becoming a joke trying to practice in a saturated area.

I know if I was just entering this profession ..... I would find an area with fewer dentists (orthos). I realize that even these remote areas will eventually have Corps, Walmarts, CVS,etc.etc, but the chances of having a traditional dental (ortho) practice in one of these remote unicorn areas would be better than dealing with the circus in saturated, urban areas. But you gotta have low DS debt.

The Phx market is extremely saturated. It didn't help when the two private dental schools opened here.

Let's not also forget what seems to be more and more of a paradigm shift in the thought process of so many these days, and if one wants to attribute it to the mantra's of many a politician opining for "free" healthcare for all and that healthcare is a "right" which is that if something isn't covered by their insurance, or if one isn't an in network provider, than it either isn't needed or they shouldn't go see that out of network provider, This expansion of the CVS/Aetna med clinics is likely to have a noticeable effect for many providers. Just think at how relatively quickly the notion that one gets their annual flu shots at their physicians office verses at their local pharmacy has occurred and then it's not that much of a leap to see where this can expand to.

Unfortunately I fear that there's likely some very turbulent waters ahead in how not just dentistry, but healthcare in general is delivered, and that's going to have some interesting consequences for many who make their living in the direct patient healthcare industry, especially if they don't grasp what a paradigm shift may bring
I agree. The narrative of “affordable healthcare” is now being lead by corporations who were not in the healthcare space before.

Do you remember when Amazon, JP Morgan and Berkshire Hathaway started a joint healthcare company called Haven a year or two ago? The goal for that company is to focus on primary care access, simpler insurance benefits and affordable Rx. Clearly that’s how far we have come in the healthcare industry. It took a retail company, a financial investment bank and a conglomerate holding company to step forward to change and solve the healthcare problems. Then we have CVS, Walgreens and Walmart throwing their hats in the ring. The paradigm shift is no longer an idea, but a tangible change backed by well established and structured companies. That’s why I feel the trend to reform healthcare is already here and will continue to evolve in the hands of these of corporations.

I read a Barron’s article yesterday - where few old ladies went to their local CVS store to take Yoga classes.

Imagine if most of the private practice dentist owners offer the same “affordable care” to more people (ie low fee treatments, accepting Medicaid and HMO plans) the same way the corps do, the corps would not be able to grow and expand as rapidly as they do now. A lot private practice owners don’t need to accept low pay insurances and medicaid and are still doing extremely well (ColdFront, Tanman, Daurang, DrJeff, Rainee etc are among these successful dentist owners). So I think dentistry is still a very good profession to pursue. I start worrying when most of my colleagues start accepting Medicaid and HMO and start offering the same “affordable care” like what I do right now.

Last edited:
What do you suggest we do as someone who hasn't applied to either dentistry or medicine, and fine with either? Are these professions worth getting into if I just want a path to a nice, stable, high income?
1st off .... Decide which field interests you the most. This will be your future profession. Hopefully you choose a profession not based solely on income. Next is to complete school with the least amount of debt. I can't speak for medicine, but simply being a dentist does not automatically mean you can easily pay off excessive DS debt.
Dentists and Doctors still make a good living. The lifestyle is still very good. Just make sure you will be happy with your future job.
I e. My earnings are less now for alot of reasons outside of my control. But I have no regrets on being an orthodontist.

Imagine if most of the private practice dentist owners offer the same “affordable care” to more people (ie low fee treatments, accepting Medicaid and HMO plans) the same way the corps do, the corps would not be able to grow and expand as rapidly as they do now. A lot private practice owners don’t need to accept low pay insurances and medicaid and are still doing extremely well (ColdFront, Tanman, Daurang, DrJeff, Rainee etc are among these successful dentist owners). So I think dentistry is still a very good profession to pursue. I start worrying when most of my colleagues start accepting Medicaid and HMO and start offering the same “affordable care” like what I do right now.
Frankly speaking, as the middle class gets smaller and smaller in the future, and as more employees opt for HMO plans through their employer health insurance programs (or even qualify for Medicaid) - more and more dentists will have no choice but to accept what the markets dictates. Dentistry is still a good profession today, because the awful changes we hear about today haven’t become widespread yet. It could take 5-10 years before we see them reach most communities. Only 1-2 % of my patients mentioned Smiles Direct Club as alternative to traditional ortho, but I will not be surprised if that number hits 50% or more in a decade, specially for anyone under 35.

Also, the demographics (by age) in this country is changing rapidly. The % of people over 65 is about 10-15% today, but that number will be close to double in couple of decades. All of them will be on Medicare (with no dental insurance or coverage) and majority will be penny pinching for all their needs and will need more affordable services - because they are not working anymore and didn’t save enough for retirement.

So as fertility is expected to go down every year in the future, and as more and more people retire - this will have an effect on the labor force (working age population) in a negative way - with less and less good employer based medical and dental insurances to go around. So many dentists will see their PPO plans replaced with HMO and similar insurances. Corporations can survive this race to the bottom than solo practitioners, because their business model can sustain lower margins over time. This is already happening, but it will effect more and more private office dentists in the long run.

Frankly speaking, as the middle class gets smaller and smaller in the future, and as more employees opt for HMO plans through their employer health insurance programs (or even qualify for Medicaid) - more and more dentists will have no choice but to accept what the markets dictates. Dentistry is still a good profession today, because the awful changes we hear about today haven’t become widespread yet. It could take 5-10 years before we see them reach most communities. Only 1-2 % of my patients mentioned Smiles Direct Club as alternative to traditional ortho, but I will not be surprised if that number hits 50% or more in a decade, specially for anyone under 35.
This has already happened in medicine. Most medical offices have to accept insurances. Cash-only medical offices don’t exist anymore. And the doctors get paid less than 100 bucks for each office visit. To earn a 6 figure income, the doctors have to see high patient volume and spend less time for each patients. Many doctors have to work 10+ hours a day....just to make the same income as us, dentists. We, dentists, can at least make our patients pay us cash for the procedures that are not covered by their dental insurances. Patients still pay us cash when they don’t have dental insurance. Patients pay an OS $1500-2000 for wisdom teeth extractions. Patients pay an endodontist $1000+ for a molar RCT. More than 50% of my patients, whose dental insurances don’t have ortho coverage, have to pay me cash….and to make the treatments more affordable for my patients, I spread the payments out over the length of the ortho treatment, 18-24 months.

This has already happened in medicine. Most medical offices have to accept insurances. Cash-only medical offices don’t exist anymore. And the doctors get paid less than 100 bucks for each office visit. To earn a 6 figure income, the doctors have to see high patient volume and spend less time for each patients. Many doctors have to work 10+ hours a day....just to make the same income as us, dentists. We, dentists, can at least make our patients pay us cash for the procedures that are not covered by their dental insurances. Patients still pay us cash when they don’t have dental insurance. Patients pay an OS $1500-2000 for wisdom teeth extractions. Patients pay an endodontist $1000+ for a molar RCT. More than 50% of my patients, whose dental insurances don’t have ortho coverage, have to pay me cash….and to make the treatments more affordable for my patients, I spread the payments out over the length of the ortho treatment, 18-24 months.
There are over 3 million people with no dental insurance and about 3 million people on Medicaid in my state of 11.5 million people.

The #1 dental plan in the dental insurance market here is HMO. It comes down to affordability. Majority of employer based insurance carriers want the least dental insurance deduction from their paycheck, which means a HMO plan.

Also, some employers like Uber (with about 1 million drivers) and all the other shared-economy type companies consider their employees as contractors and do not offer a medical or dental benefits. That’s a lot of people who would had insurance by working for companies who offered health insurance.

The changes in labor force dynamics have created a condition and an environment that creates low enrollment for the “good” insurances plans. This is why the issue is passed down to physicians and dentists that fill the gap by providing affordable fees for their patients to keep their businesses going.

The cost of everything is going up for those patients and healthcare gets pushed down on their priorities in life list. Translation: that $1,000+ molar RCT can wait until everything else in life is taken care of (children, rent, personal debt, that vacation and so on).

And yet many physicians and dentists are still living the good life. Yes .... The current situation is making it harder and harder for Drs to make the bank they made in the past. When the general public hears Drs complaining that they make less money .... It doesn't go over well.

There are over 3 million people with no dental insurance and about 3 million people on Medicaid in my state of 11.5 million people.

The #1 dental plan in the dental insurance market here is HMO. It comes down to affordability. Majority of employer based insurance carriers want the least dental insurance deduction from their paycheck, which means a HMO plan.

Also, some employers like Uber (with about 1 million drivers) and all the other shared-economy type companies consider their employees as contractors and do not offer a medical or dental benefits. That’s a lot of people who would had insurance by working for companies who offered health insurance.

The changes in labor force dynamics have created a condition and an environment that creates low enrollment for the “good” insurances plans. This is why the issue is passed down to physicians and dentists that fill the gap by providing affordable fees for their patients to keep their businesses going.

The cost of everything is going up for those patients and healthcare gets pushed down on their priorities in life list. Translation: that $1,000+ molar RCT can wait until everything else in life is taken care of (children, rent, personal debt, that vacation and so on).
It’s a good thing that a lot of people don’t have dental insurance and have to pay us cash. I don’t want the greedy insurance companies to ruin our dental profession the same way they ruin the medical profession….longer wait time for the patients, the doctors have to work harder, and less doctor’s time for each patient etc. It’s also good that most people don’t think dental care is a right and that’s why the lawmakers has not yet passed laws that hurt our profession the way they did to the medical profession.

No, they can’t defer the $1000+ RCT to a later time. Endo pain is the worst kind of pain in the mouth. Can’t live on pain med forever. A cheaper alternative would be extraction. And when the tooth is extracted, the opposing and adjacent teeth start to drip into the edentulous space. Patients will later need ortho tx for molar uprighting (I’ve seen a lot of these patients) so the restorative dentist can place an implant or a bridge. We, dentists, will make money one way or another. People who ignore dental care earlier in their life will have to pay more expensive dental tx later. My wife sees mostly old people with mess up teeth and these people are willing to pay her big bucks to get teeth back so they can eat and enjoy their retirement life.

And yet many physicians and dentists are still living the good life. Yes .... The current situation is making it harder and harder for Drs to make the bank they made in the past. When the general public hears Drs complaining that they make less money .... It doesn't go over well.
And many dentists only work 4 days/week and don’t work on weekends….and they still make a killing. I am not talking about the dentists who graduated 20 years ago. Rainee and Coldfront are among these more recent grad dentists.

Is the case for doctors only for general practioners? Surely most of the hospital employees, the ones that have specialized in something, are not having to barely earn their 6-figure income.
The doctors have to work a lot more hours than dentists. So if you calculate the hours a doctor works and the amount he gets paid, it’s much less than what most of us dentists/dental specialists make per hour. For example, a general surgeon only gets $3-400 to remove an appendix....and when he is not in the OR to operate on the patients, he has to work at his office to do consults and post op checks. My cousin is anesthesiologist….the hospital woke him up at 2am to do an epidural on a patient, who had medicaid….and he only got $200 for that. My brother is a GI doc and to make more money, he had to move out of CA.

Don't physicians in hospitals generally get paid on a fixed salary and not by percentage of commission?

Don't physicians in hospitals generally get paid on a fixed salary and not by percentage of commission?
It depends on the specialty you are in. For anesthesiologists like my cousin, the hospitals don’t pay them anything. My cousin has to bill the patients’ insurances directly. So he doesn’t get the whole $200 for that epidural. A small % of that will go to the biller, whom he hires to bill the insruances for him. And if the patients don’t have insurance, he still has to treat them to save their lives. He will send them a bill but the chance for these un-insured patients to pay the bill is almost zero. The hospital pays him a small amount when he is on call but according to him, it’s so little that it’s not worth spending a night at a hospital away from his wife and kids. Another bad thing about his job is in order to get more cases, he also has to be nice to the surgeons… the same way we, orthodontists, are to our referring dentists.

For GI doctors like my brother, they get a small base salary + the bonuses based on the number of procedures they perform. Since my brother is a recent grad, the hospital usually saves the higher pay more complicate cases to the senior docs and my brother usually gets the lower pay easy colonoscopy procedures. That’s why he left CA.

For OBGYN, they get like $3000 (If I heard it correctly from my brother) from pre-natal care to the time of birth. And if they are busy and are not available to deliver the baby, they will get much less that that $3k amount.

And there are primary care doctors, who work for Kaiser Permanante. They work 10+ hours a day and get a fixed annual salary + benefits. They are pretty much like pharmacists and optometrists....their salaries eventually hit the ceiling. To make more and work less, they have to open their own offices. My brother-in-law is a primary care physician. He currently owns a practice and is doing very well. After graduation, he had worked for a hospital for 3 years and only got paid $100k/year.

I am not a doctor. These are the stories I have heard from my relatives, who are physicians.

Last edited:
So if one were to enter the field of dentistry over 5 years from now, do you still predict it'll be a worthwhile field? What about for the next 20 - 30? I know it's hard to know, but I just can't see myself entering the field and doing so much schooling and have the field go the way of pharmacy, especially knowing how much debt I'm going to undertake.
It depends on how hard you work and how good of a dentist you are. I’ve seen recent grad dentists and orthodontists who are doing extremely well. They graduated way after me and owed more in student loans than me but they are doing much better than me. But I also seen dentists who have very poor people skills and hand skills and have to be let go by their bosses multiple times.

I made an account to come on here and say these 2 orthos, I believe, are spot on I their assessment.

Reimbursement and regulation is changing. Be ready to hustle. You’ll be fine as long as you control the business and your own personal overhead. I run a very nice private practice and cover a nice corporate gig 7 days a month. The corporate gig approaches 75% of my entire private office compensation. Just the reality. I work very hard but have a good time at it. Charlestweed and tthmover speak the future and the now.

True. I think the general public were mislead by a lot of bad information out there. I remember when I was applying to dental shoot 13 years ago, The US News & World Report magazine was heavily marketing the income of dentists by ranking it as the #1 of all profession in this country. I believe to this date, they are still doing that one form or another. I never understood their methodology - specially when you factor in the cost of attendance to go to dental school. Is dentistry really in the top 10 (or even 20) best paying jobs in this country relative to debt? Parents are still pushing their kids to go to dental school and even specialize, with no emphasis on the unbearable debt that comes with that plan. Personally, this ploy is the biggest highlight of the profession today and in the future.

I know many offices that are owned by asian dentists here in Orange County charge similar low fees and they are doing very well. $675 for a crown at Walmart is actually expensive. These dentists can easily beat Walmart....lower fee, honesty, no overtreatment BS, and better parient care. Keeping the overhead low is key.

It depends on how hard you work and how good of a dentist you are. I’ve seen recent grad dentists and orthodontists who are doing extremely well. They graduated way after me and owed more in student loans than me but they are doing much better than me. But I also seen dentists who have very poor people skills and hand skills and have to be let go by their bosses multiple times.
What do you think has been the key for the orthos who you say have done better than you since graduating?

What do you think has been the key for the orthos who you say have done better than you since graduating?
Better marketing, better customer service, better communication with the referring GPs, and higher treatment fees. An ortho office that is located just 1 block away from my office had 65 starts during the peak month of July. I knew because the assistant, who works full time at that ortho office, works for me 2 Saturdays a month. I had 47 starts during that same month and I thought I did very well.

I don’t go door to door to meet the referring GPs anymore. I’ve lost some referring GPs either because they started doing ortho tx themselves or because they hire in-house orthos to work for them. But I’ve also gained some new referring GPs. How? Some of my happy patients told their GPs good things about me and their GPs called my offices to ask for the referral cards. I also make friends with the associate general dentists who work at the same corp office with me. When some these GPs quit their corp jobs to open their own offices, they called to ask me for the referral cards.

I know many offices that are owned by asian dentists here in Orange County charge similar low fees and they are doing very well. $675 for a crown at Walmart is actually expensive. These dentists can easily beat Walmart....lower fee, honesty, no overtreatment BS, and better parient care. Keeping the overhead low is key.
Are these doctors foreign grads with zero debt? How can they manage to pay their overhead with ridiculously low fees?

Are these doctors foreign grads with zero debt? How can they manage to pay their overhead with ridiculously low fees?
Most of them are first generation Asian Americans. Many of them came to the US when they were young children after the Vietnam war as political refugees. They were young enough to adapt to the American way of life very quickly but old enough to understand their parents' culture and language. Their parents barely spoke any English and had to work more than one minimum wage job to support the family. Because their parents didn't make enough, they had to work P/T during HS and college years to pay for books, clothes, and car maintenances. They had to take out student loans to pay for their dental education. When they became dentists, working on the weekends and having low paying jobs (ie charging their patients low fees, accepting medicaid etc) were no big deal to them. They'd rather make a little less per patient and have fully booked schedules 5-6 days/week than sitting around doing nothing. Little amounts add up to bigger amounts. That's how they pay off their debts fast. Asian people are afraid of debts. During the 2008 recession, the cities that have the highest Asian populations (ie Diamond Bar, Rowland Heights, Garden Groves, Westminster, Irvine etc) had very low home foreclosure rates.

How do they keep the overhead low? By hiring fewer employees and doing most of the work by themselves. Instead of sharing the profit with the hygienists, they do all the cleanings by themselves. They only hire hygienists, when they are too busy with other productive procedures.

Last edited:
Kind of interesting that just after reading this a week ago, I saw my first walmart dental clinic (socal). It was not yet open, but looked ready to go. In the same visit, I walked by the bossanova robot scanning the inventory. Oh boy

Kind of interesting that just after reading this a week ago, I saw my first walmart dental clinic (socal). It was not yet open, but looked ready to go. In the same visit, I walked by the bossanova robot scanning the inventory. Oh boy
I thought Walmart would not do this (of all places) in SoCal - the Las Vegas of dental offices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the flip side, 9 members of congress announced recently, that they're behind the supporting of looking into the safety and marketing claims made by Smile Direct Club....

Reactions: 4 users
Walmart dental clinics are back in the news with a new location.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Checkup for $30, Teeth Cleaning $25: Walmart Gets Into Health Care

The retail giant wants to grab a share of the $3.6 trillion in health spending by leveraging its 150 million weekly shoppers.

The main drag of Calhoun, Ga., a town of about 16,000 an hour’s drive north of Atlanta, is dotted with pawnshops, liquor stores, and fast-food joints. Here, as in thousands of other communities across America, the local Walmart fulfills most everyday needs—groceries, car repairs, money transfers, even hair styling. But now visitors to the Calhoun Walmart can also get a $30 medical checkup or a $25 teeth cleaning, or talk about their anxieties with a counselor for $1 a minute.

Prices for those services and more are clearly listed on bright digital billboards in a cozy waiting room inside a new Walmart Health center. Walk-ins are welcome, but most appointments are booked online beforehand. No insurance? No problem. Need a lab test on a Sunday? Sure thing.

Walmart “care hosts” take customers from the waiting area to one of 12 care rooms in the 6,500-square-foot facility. Afterward, patients are steered to the in-store pharmacy. While they wait for their prescriptions, they can visit the produce section and grab some veggies recommended by the doctor. Later, there’s even a free Zumba class in the community room.

Welcome to health care, Walmart style.

The center in Calhoun, along with one about an hour south in Dallas, Ga., represents the retailer’s attempt to grab a bigger slice of the nation’s $3.6 trillion in health spending by harnessing its greatest asset—the 150 million people coming through its 4,756 stores each week. While Walmart hasn’t said how many clinics it plans to build, it’s signaled that the health center expansion is one of its top growth initiatives. The move pits Walmart against rivals such as CVS Health Corp., which is rolling out its own “HealthHubs,” and creates a new front in Walmart’s battle against Amazon.com Inc., which also wants to disrupt the U.S. health-care system. “We have an opportunity to help the country and to build a stronger business,” Walmart Chief Executive Officer Doug McMillon told investors in December.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk