MD WAMC: 19 YO, 3.9 GPA, 512 MCAT, URM, No Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BattalionX

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.91, sGPA: 3.89
  2. MCAT Score: 512 (126/132/128/126)
  3. State: FL
  4. Ethnicity: URM, Hispanic. Low SES.
  5. Undergrad: Florida International University (FIU)
  6. Clincial Experience: 1000 hours paid clinical (step down unit, CNA and phlebotomist), 200 hours clinical volunteering
  7. Research: N/A
  8. Shadowing: 50 Hours, 1 (44 hrs) in person, 3 eShadowing
  9. Non-Clinical: 200 hours homeless shelter, 50 hours canvassing (social justice category), 142 hours tutoring, 44 hours paid interning at a tax firm.
  10. Leadership: Club President & Founder of a very large club, Political Director of a mid-large activism club, very successful leadership profile.
  11. Honors: Hispanic Scholarship Fund Awardee
  12. Major: Applied Mathematics
- School List
FAU
FIU HWCOM
FSU
Nova
UCF
UF
UM Miller
USF Morsani
Howard University COM
Carle Illinois
Rush COM
Spencer Fox Utah
Frank H Netter
Loyola Chicago
Albany
Dartmouth (Geisel)
Central Michigan
Chicago Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
Wake Forest
George Washington
Saint Louis
Meharry Medical College
Oakland University
Lewis Katz / Temple
Penn State
Tufts

I am looking to apply to around 30 schools. I appreciate any recommendations! I live in Miami and intend to stay in Florida, and have some family in Massachusetts and Jersey. Trying to avoid research heavy schools, as I focused on service/community experiences throughout my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Howard and Meharry mainly admit applicants from the African American community.
Central Michigan and Utah are state public schools that admit few non residents with no connection to the state.
Carle Illinois is looking for applicants with an engineering background.
You could add these schools instead:
TCU
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Creighton
Medical College Wisconsin
Drexel
Georgetown
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont

Reactions: 1 user
So when are you going to graduate? Shouldn’t you be a junior ? I don’t understand why you consider yourself to be a rising sophomore? If you entered college with 80+ hours you should have entered as a junior.Are you applying now? I’m confused by your whole post really but the lack of research isn’t a deal breaker. Depending on everything else on your time line you might want to take a couple of gap years and get some research and other life experiences. And don’t worry about dual enrollment credits. They are pretty common .

Cross-reference your list against the Medical Student Pride Alliance list. Network with AMSA and MSPA officers. All schools will say they value LGBTQ+ community members, so you need to see how each walks the talk. You also should network with LMSA chapter officers.

Being in Florida, you know what is going on better with the nature of higher education and state support for diversity/inclusion issues, so you need to be sure you have the right support from the top of the university down.

Status
Not open for further replies.