WAMC? 1st time applicant

Started by amkpv27
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

amkpv27

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wanted to repost and get some new opinions:

I am going to be a 4th year at tOSU and applying this cycle. I wanted to share my stats and receive a bit of advice on where to apply, if i even have a chance, etc.

cGPA: 3.54
sGPA: 3.1

Last 45: 3.7

*I have a C+ in gen chem and orgo 1, C in orgo 2 and am retaking orgo 1 (going well so far).

-Will have roughly 1100 small animal vet hours, 300 large animal hours, 50 equine, 41 exotics (australia pre-vet program), total: 1400-1500 vet hours

-Have roughly 457 non-vet animal hours

-About 100 research hours w/ a JAVMA publication

-135 volunteer hours

-1700 non-animal employment hours

I also am a part of several clubs and have maintained 4 leadership positions throughout my time in undergrad.

I know that my academics are weighing my application down, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on applying to about 10 schools (I have a family member that has set aside funds for my applications). My top choices (most attainable choices) are CSU, LSU, Ohio State (in state), and Michigan State.
 
I think your veterinary hours and other experiences are decent and relatively diverse.

In agreement here that your GPA (particularly your science GPA) is going to put you at a disadvantage. If you find yourself in a position to reapply, I would highly recommend retaking those other classes that you got C’s in (gen chem, orgo 2).

What other schools are you applying to? Do any of them favor cGPA and last 45 over science GPA? You may have a better shot at those schools if so, since I would consider those GPAs to be average and slightly above average, respectively.