WAMC 1st time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pinkberries

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cumulative GPA: 3.77 (shows as my overall for VMCAS) but 3.7 at my primary institution

science GPA: 3.72 (including CC/extension courses)

last 45: 4.00 (including CC/extension courses)

Any degrees achieved: bachelors in progress, double major biology and conservation

GRE results: didn’t take

Veterinary Experience: 1375 total
  • Part time assistant at small animal private practice the past year ~ 730 hrs
  • Interned at a local shelter last summer, helped start their first onsite/free quarterly vaccine clinic ~ 370 hours
  • Shadowing at small animal private practices ~ 123 hrs
  • Shadowing at large animal hospital ~ 40 hrs
  • Shadowing at exotics hospital ~ 13 hrs
  • Volunteering at free vax clinic for lower income populations ~90 hrs
Animal Experience: 1538 total
  • Fostered 110+ dogs thru local animal shelter ~ 1,400 hrs
  • Dog sitting/dog walking — 96 hrs
  • Humane Center volunteer — 15 hrs
  • Cat sitting — 9 hrs
  • Chicken coop husbandry - 18hrs
Research Experience:
  • 462 hrs canid auditory system/ecomorphology research for 2.5 years, my own project but have not been published yet…
  • 96 hrs cell culture/molecular biology lab for one semester
Awards/scholarships:
  • deans list junior fall semester
  • volunteer awards and small scholarship from hs
  • not much tbh
Extracurriculars:
  • VP of pre vet club
  • leadership on college Christian fellowship since 2nd year
  • Threw in stuff from hs like tennis team capt and clubs where I held leadership
  • Sports for fun!: distance running/races, gym, IM pickleball
Employment:
  • kids tennis camp coach
  • Chipotle for 2 summers
Explanation statement:
  • I had to have knee surgery in May. I was supposed to do a wildlife or zoo internship this summer, take classes and graduate fall 2026, continue working as assistant and gain clinical hrs, potentially present my research project at a conference. I was still able to work full time for a month ish this past summer as an assistant but my plans were derailed fs.
Summarize any concerns you have:
Main concern is that my veterinary experience is heavily weighted toward small animal/shelter medicine and I have less wildlife/exotic/large animal experience. Also kinda concerned my GPA is low but I think I showed good improvement from freshman to senior year.

Schools I’m applying to: IS: Davis
Total 21 schools 😅 davis, tufts, penn, Cornell, Ohio, wsu, western, auburn, UF, NC state, Virginia Maryland, Dublin, RVC, CSU, midwestern, u of a, Clemson, Rowan, Illinois, Minnesota, mizzou

LOR writers: Vet, college pastor, my major academic advisor, my PI/professor I took her class
 
Honestly, you can totally cut half these schools off your list, maybe even more with your stats! You're very well-rounded and I think you'll have a great cycle, so maybe focus on the cities/states you could truly see yourself living in and only apply to those just to save some money! Good luck & if you ever need advice about Davis, lmk🙂
 
Honestly, you can totally cut half these schools off your list, maybe even more with your stats! You're very well-rounded and I think you'll have a great cycle, so maybe focus on the cities/states you could truly see yourself living in and only apply to those just to save some money! Good luck & if you ever need advice about Davis, lmk🙂
Thank you 🙂)) I'm really hoping to stay IS/davis so I will definitely r/o if the time comes thanks!