MD & DO WAMC - 2019 Progress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cj16talo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm planning on applying next year (starting in 2019) and I wanted to know if I'm on the right track. I applied to 35 MD schools last year, receiving no interviews. I am a NY resident, not URM. Application was submitted early June with all secondaries complete around late July or early August. I graduated in 2014 with degrees in Mathematics and Chemistry, worked as a chemical engineer until switching to a position in a pharmaceutical company a couple weeks ago.

MCAT: 508
Phys: 128, CARS: 127, Bio: 125, Psych: 127
However, I need to retake as my MCAT scores will expire before the deadline next summer.

cGPA: 3.60, sGPA: 3.56
My last year I had a 3.81 GPA despite taking all of the Chemistry major requirements except Gen Chem and Organic.

I did research full time the summer between my junior and senior years, as well as throughout my senior year. This resulted in two publications, one as first author. My job as an engineer was research oriented, and I have five patents submitted along with six conference abstracts.

I worked ~20 hours per week part time as a scribe from 7/16-6/17, accumulating ~1000 hours. In May I began working ~16 hours per week as a Patient Care Tech at a local hospital. Last month I started volunteering 4 hours per week in a local ED.

I have tutored calculus, coached recreational soccer, and helped with fundraisers for a family foundation.

I worked two jobs throughout undergrad, consisting of 20-30 hours per week.

I obviously need to take the MCAT again, unfortunately. However, I'm wondering if I'm on the right track with regards to improving my application to make sure I don't strike out again.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

When you take the MCAT again you need to do so no later than May 2019. Post your new score here when available. You should be able to receive interviews with a MCAT of at least 508 and an appropriate school list.

Those numbers add up to 507 for the mcat.

Reactions: 1 users