WAMC 2022 Cycle c/o 2027 (high GPA, average hours, research)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dragonmydriasis

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, this will be my first time applying and I had a few quick questions based on my qualifications. I am 20M, heavily interested in large animal (want a residency in large animal surgery later down the line) and have a lot of questions about this cycle. All information will be as of Sept. 15, 2022.

GRADES
Cumulative GPA- 3.92 (two B's in random GE courses due to being hospitalized from COVID)
Last 45 GPA- 4.00 (mainly gen chem, gen phys, microbio, calc, animal sci)
Major- Animal Science
Begun- Fall 2020
Will Graduate- Spring of 2023 (AP classes/at least 20 units per semester except for my first)

VETERINARY/RESEARCH HOURS
Small Animal- 480
Large Animal/Equine- 477
Exotic/Wildlife- 10
Large Animal Research (with vet but more research based according to VMCAS)- 120
Biomedical Research- 450

ANIMAL HOURS
Large/Horse- Around 5000 from FFA, rodeo team, college ag activities
Small- Around 2000 from pet sitting, pet care, small animal contests, etc.

POSITIONS
Vet Assistant @ VCA hospital, vet school, my own school, performance horse operation
Vet Tech (not RVT) @ humane animal services for shelter medicine (current)
Volunteer Vet Assistant @ large/equine clinics
Vet Research Assistant @ vet school
Undergrad Research Fellow @ my own school
Emergency Medical Responder @ hometown
Legal Secretarial Assistant @ hometown

EXTRACURRICULARS
Pre-Vet Club
Ag Honors Fraternity
Rodeo Team
College FFA

AWARDS/HONORS
President's List (4.0 Full Time) for 3/4 Semesters
Dean's List (Above 3.5 Full Time) for 1/4 Semesters (when I was sick)
Pre-Vet Club Officer
Ag Honors Fraternity Officer
Rodeo Team Officer
NIH Funded Undergrad Research Fellow
Various Ag Scholarships
Various College-Level Horse/Rodeo Contest Awards

LETTERS OF REC
1 from vet I worked with
1 from gen chem professor I had for a year
1 from vet school professor I worked with
1 anticipated from hospital manager I worked with
1 anticipated from lawyer I worked with
1 anticipated from physics professor

SCHOOLS
Western (top), UC Davis (second), Kansas State, Midwestern, Washington State, Ohio State, Purdue, Ross, St. Georges, Missouri, Minnesota, Illinois, U of A, Colorado State. I tried to pick ones vets I know recommended for large animal and ones with high OOS acceptance.

GRE
Have not taken yet, plan to mid-August. Did not realize I could graduate early so a little last minute

OTHER
Published paper on chemotherapy synthesis anticipated April 2023

I think that's everything, but I'm probably forgetting something! If you would like any more info, please feel free to comment.
 
Last edited: