WAMC (2023-2024) 3.34 GPA 19AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PHscale73

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Overall GPA: 3.34
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
19 AA, 18 TS, 20 PAT, 21 QR, 21 RC, 18 BIO, 17 GC, 19 OC
State of Residence: MS

Undergrad Attended: University of Mississippi (currently a junior)
Major: Biochemistry
Minor: Business
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: Currently 85 hours (2 gen, 1 endo, 1 ortho); will be spending a week at some point shadowing another dentist this winter break
Volunteering Experience: ~40 hours Tutoring at elementary school, 10 hours Special Olympics (will be doing both next semester), and other volunteering involving clubs and greek organization
Employment: None
Research: At least 100 hours, sensory properties and microbial composition of milk and water kefir
Other Extracurriculars: 3 dental-related clubs, greek organization
Relevant Honors or Awards: None
LOR type and strength: Gen dentist (strong), research professor (strong), community service (strong), second professor (decent)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
Science grades are not currently showing growth (basically all B's with a few B+'s, an A-, and A's on bio labs), No leadership roles
School list:

Mississippi
Tennessee
UAB
Louisville
LECOM
Augusta
AT Still (either campus)
South Carolina
Meharry

Any other schools I should apply to? Looking at applying to 10-12 schools. Also, is there anything I can do or improve on before I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

If you can retake your DAT it might improve your chances with your GPA. Otherwise I’d cast a wide net. Go for NOVA, Creighton, NYU. Etc. schools are going to be expensive unless you can get in state but I’m not sure. I’d apply as soon as possible to give yourself the best chance for interviews next year.

Overall GPA: 3.34
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.19
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 19 AA, 18 TS, 20 PAT, 21 QR, 21 RC, 18 BIO, 17 GC, 19 OC
State of Residence: MS

Undergrad Attended: University of Mississippi (currently a junior)
Major: Biochemistry
Minor: Business
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: Currently 85 hours (2 gen, 1 endo, 1 ortho); will be spending a week at some point shadowing another dentist this winter break
Volunteering Experience: ~40 hours Tutoring at elementary school, 10 hours Special Olympics (will be doing both next semester), and other volunteering involving clubs and greek organization
Employment: None
Research: At least 100 hours, sensory properties and microbial composition of milk and water kefir
Other Extracurriculars: 3 dental-related clubs, greek organization
Relevant Honors or Awards: None
LOR type and strength: Gen dentist (strong), research professor (strong), community service (strong), second professor (decent)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Science grades are not currently showing growth (basically all B's with a few B+'s, an A-, and A's on bio labs), No leadership roles
School list:
Mississippi
Tennessee
UAB
Louisville
LECOM
Augusta
AT Still (either campus)
South Carolina
Meharry

Any other schools I should apply to? Looking at applying to 10-12 schools. Also, is there anything I can do or improve on before I apply?
way too many publics with your grades and DAT scores
not much chance at meharry if you are not URM

have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at UMiss DSchool?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can retake your DAT it might improve your chances with your GPA. Otherwise I’d cast a wide net. Go for NOVA, Creighton, NYU. Etc. schools are going to be expensive unless you can get in state but I’m not sure. I’d apply as soon as possible to give yourself the best chance for interviews next year.
Yeah that was the plan if I cannot get A's in Biochem and Genetics this semester. Do you think it would be good enough if I were to get all A's this semester? My advisor told me my gpa would bump up to around a 3.45 and over a 3.5 if I get all A's this and next semester too.

way too many publics with your grades and DAT scores
not much chance at meharry if you are not URM

have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at UMiss DSchool?
I attended an event this past summer and I was planning on setting up an advising appointment once this current cycle is done.

Yeah that was the plan if I cannot get A's in Biochem and Genetics this semester. Do you think it would be good enough if I were to get all A's this semester? My advisor told me my gpa would bump up to around a 3.45 and over a 3.5 if I get all A's this and next semester too.
Honestly, a 3.5 is still a little low compared to averages at public schools which are closer to 3.6. Though yes, it will help, a stronger DAT score of 20+ will seal the deal if you can write a good PS and you apply early

Honestly, a 3.5 is still a little low compared to averages at public schools which are closer to 3.6. Though yes, it will help, a stronger DAT score of 20+ will seal the deal if you can write a good PS and you apply early
i'm not sure you will raise your sGPA and BCP that much though...