WAMC 2024-2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markzui

Reaction score
Date of submission: Mid June
Overall GPA: 3.92
Science GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
26AA, 27TS, 22PAT, 28QR, 30Bio, 24GC, 27OC, 21RC
State of Residence: Utah

Undergrad Attended: Private school in MN
Major: BS Chemistry
Minor: Aerospace studies
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes-Currently active duty in USAF

Shadowing Experience: 100+ general dentist (25 USAF dentist, 75 private practice)
Volunteering Experience: 30 hours. Mostly community outreach to schools with the Air Force (but not paid/recruiting)
Employment: 1600+ hours active duty and counting
Research: 124 hours undergrad chemistry research
Other Extracurriculars: Air Force ROTC in college. Tons of leadership and followership experience to talk to. 1000+ hours of time spent over my time as an undergrad student.
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? None
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's list 7 of 8 semesters undergrad.
LOR type and strength: 1 letter from upper-level chemistry professor: mid-strong. 1 letter from chemistry/research professor: strong. 1 letter from my current supervisor: very strong.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
I'll have an HPSP scholarship from the Air Force, so cost is not a factor when considering where to apply or attend. I never had to take a microbiology in undergrad, and I couldn't take a class with a lab while working, so I don't meet the prerequisite for some schools, like the University of Utah.
School list (roughly in order that I want to attend):

Marquette
University of Minnesota
University of Iowa
Creighton
University of Nebraska
Case Western
Roseman
Southern Illinois University
University of Pittsburgh
West Virginia University

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: Mid June
Overall GPA: 3.92
Science GPA: 3.81
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 26AA, 27TS, 22PAT, 28QR, 30Bio, 24GC, 27OC, 21RC
State of Residence: Utah

Undergrad Attended: Private school in MN
Major: BS Chemistry
Minor: Aerospace studies
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes-Currently active duty in USAF

Shadowing Experience: 100+ general dentist (25 USAF dentist, 75 private practice)
Volunteering Experience: 30 hours. Mostly community outreach to schools with the Air Force (but not paid/recruiting)
Employment: 1600+ hours active duty and counting
Research: 124 hours undergrad chemistry research
Other Extracurriculars: Air Force ROTC in college. Tons of leadership and followership experience to talk to. 1000+ hours of time spent over my time as an undergrad student.
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? None
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's list 7 of 8 semesters undergrad.
LOR type and strength: 1 letter from upper-level chemistry professor: mid-strong. 1 letter from chemistry/research professor: strong. 1 letter from my current supervisor: very strong.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I'll have an HPSP scholarship from the Air Force, so cost is not a factor when considering where to apply or attend. I never had to take a microbiology in undergrad, and I couldn't take a class with a lab while working, so I don't meet the prerequisite for some schools, like the University of Utah.
School list (roughly in order that I want to attend):
Marquette
University of Minnesota
University of Iowa
Creighton
University of Nebraska
Case Western
Roseman
Southern Illinois University
University of Pittsburgh
West Virginia University
1- you don't have to take prerequisites before you apply at almost all schools, you just have to take them before you start school
B- have you checked the oos stats for your last 3 schools?

I encourage you to take microbiology for biology majors when you get the chance. Your academic metrics suggest you should have no problem normally. But you don't need to worry about it unless the school requires it. I presume Utah will work with you.

I'd get more dental exposure. But within reason, you can decide if Roseman 3 year is what you want to do. Call your shot at any privates and programs that do a lot with veterans. Ask your recruiters for advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
1- you don't have to take prerequisites before you apply at almost all schools, you just have to take them before you start school
B- have you checked the oos stats for your last 3 schools?
I know the out of state admittance is pretty bad for those 3 and the University of Nebraska as well. Do you think it's worth applying to them in my position or have recommendations for other schools? I'd like to apply to 10 schools to balance cost and chances of getting in. Thanks.

I encourage you to take microbiology for biology majors when you get the chance. Your academic metrics suggest you should have no problem normally. But you don't need to worry about it unless the school requires it. I presume Utah will work with you.

I'd get more dental exposure. But within reason, you can decide if Roseman 3 year is what you want to do. Call your shot at any privates and programs that do a lot with veterans. Ask your recruiters for advice.
By dental exposure, do you mean more shadowing, or do you have other things in mind? Is there a target number of hours or events I should aim for? Thanks.

I know the out of state admittance is pretty bad for those 3 and the University of Nebraska as well. Do you think it's worth applying to them in my position or have recommendations for other schools? I'd like to apply to 10 schools to balance cost and chances of getting in. Thanks.
you have to decide on your own if it's worth it applying
i'm just trying to make sure you know what you are up against
how did you come up with this list?

i hate to disagree, but i think OP needs more volunteering
yes, of course, being in the military is putting country before self, but i think more hours would look good
thank you for your service OP...

Reactions: 1 user
i hate to disagree, but i think OP needs more volunteering
yes, of course, being in the military is putting country before self, but i think more hours would look good
thank you for your service OP...
Military service satisfies this for me. A little more shadowing or working in dental practices or free clinics (like the USS Mercy) would just be a nice extra, but the OP should get plenty of attention.

Military service satisfies this for me. A little more shadowing or working in dental practices or free clinics (like the USS Mercy) would just be a nice extra, but the OP should get plenty of attention.
ok, got it
i respect your opinion

i agree that OP will get lots of looks, but i want to know how they got their list...

ok, got it
i respect your opinion

i agree that OP will get lots of looks, but i want to know how they got their list...
I agree, but there's something to be said about coming in with money. :) but that's also why I want to know if other HPSP recipients have given the OP advice.

What are you doing now in the USAF? Line or non-line? Is it possible to get a LOR from one of the active duty dentist (if that isn't your current supervisor) or participate in base dental events? Nellis AFB, Lackland AFB, Wright-Pat and some of the larger dental SQ's may have summer events.
Nice work on a strong application - best of luck! HPSP is secured, pending acceptance?

Signed,
Retired USAF, former medical officer and prior SG consultant for my career field.

you have to decide on your own if it's worth it applying
i'm just trying to make sure you know what you are up against
how did you come up with this list?
These schools are mainly just places I'd want to live weighed against the odds of getting in there. I put a lot of focus on the Midwest because I am from Minnesota originally. Even though my legal residence is Utah, I definitely plan on going back to Minnesota or Wisconsin after I get out of the Air Force. I'm hoping to leverage that with Marquette and the University of Minnesota as someone who plans to practice in the region (eventually).

ok, got it
i respect your opinion

@Mr.Smile12 @macsak I definitely agree that the weakest part of my application is the volunteering right now. I think both of you make good points for more volunteering and more dental exposure as well. Thank you both for your advice on this!

What are you doing now in the USAF? Line or non-line? Is it possible to get a LOR from one of the active duty dentist (if that isn't your current supervisor) or participate in base dental events? Nellis AFB, Lackland AFB, Wright-Pat and some of the larger dental SQ's may have summer events.
Nice work on a strong application - best of luck! HPSP is secured, pending acceptance?

Signed,
Retired USAF, former medical officer and prior SG consultant for my career field.
I'm a line 2d Lt. Currently a 63A program manager at Hill. Our dental flight is pretty small here, so I don't think there are any events I could go to. I'd probably have to find that outside of the gate.

I don't have the HPSP scholarship awarded yet; the board is Feb/Mar 2025, but release from my current assignment is packaged with HPSP. I'll either get released and HPSP, or I'll get neither and won't be able to attend dental school anyway. That said, AFPC has a separate pool of HPSP scholarships for active duty, and their stat is 99% of active duty members who get into dental school have gotten HPSP in the last 10 years.

v/r,
Lt

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a line 2d Lt. Currently a 63A program manager at Hill. Our dental flight is pretty small here, so I don't think there are any events I could go to. I'd probably have to find that outside of the gate.

I don't have the HPSP scholarship awarded yet; the board is Feb/Mar 2025, but release from my current assignment is packaged with HPSP. I'll either get released and HPSP, or I'll get neither and won't be able to attend dental school anyway. That said, AFPC has a separate pool of HPSP scholarships for active duty, and their stat is 99% of active duty members who get into dental school have gotten HPSP in the last 10 years.

v/r,
Lt
ah ok
that clears that up
i was wondering the same thing myself...

These schools are mainly just places I'd want to live weighed against the odds of getting in there. I put a lot of focus on the Midwest because I am from Minnesota originally. Even though my legal residence is Utah, I definitely plan on going back to Minnesota or Wisconsin after I get out of the Air Force. I'm hoping to leverage that with Marquette and the University of Minnesota as someone who plans to practice in the region (eventually).
understood
you should concentrate on the mountain, upper midwest and central schools
look for schools with mission fit first, and then OOS acceptance %

the one that stands out the most geographically is west virginia...

understood
you should concentrate on the mountain, upper midwest and central schools
look for schools with mission fit first, and then OOS acceptance %

the one that stands out the most geographically is west virginia...
Alright that makes sense. Thank you for the help and advice.

Alright that makes sense. Thank you for the help and advice.
you should hopefully get lots of interest if you have a broad list
is your command going to give you time off to travel for interviews?

you should hopefully get lots of interest if you have a broad list
is your command going to give you time off to travel for interviews?
Yes, time off shouldn't be an issue. My chain of command has been super supportive of all of the things I've had to do so far.

Yes, time off shouldn't be an issue. My chain of command has been super supportive of all of the things I've had to do so far.
nice

i'm sure you are well spoken, so interviews should not be an issue

good luck to you this cycle and please keep us updated as you finalize your list...

nice

i'm sure you are well spoken, so interviews should not be an issue

good luck to you this cycle and please keep us updated as you finalize your list...
note that you do not need to have 10 schools if you don't have any reach schools
and TBH, with a 3.9+ gpa and 99%+ percentile dat, there really aren't many reach schools for you outside of the ivies and UNC/UMich (those are reaches for everyone)

note that you do not need to have 10 schools if you don't have any reach schools
and TBH, with a 3.9+ gpa and 99%+ percentile dat, there really aren't many reach schools for you outside of the ivies and UNC/UMich (those are reaches for everyone)
Thanks for the advice. I was worried about getting the number of schools right to maximize my chances of at least getting one admission. In that case, I'll remove West Virginia. I agree that it is an odd one to have for me. I'll keep the thread up to date as I go through the admission process so others can see/benefit from the info.